Coso Range & Nelson Range - November 2018

It is quite a remarkable area. The well would have given me the willies for sure. Learned some more geography today. Not sure why I'd assumed the Silver Peak repeater was in the Sierras when its actually in the Coso Range south of where you were. Looks like that area is pretty lightly traveled?

I always love a trip report that motivates me to fire up google earth and break out my maps but, none of my maps cover that area. Other than a 1951 topo and some street maps I'm not sure what I need to look for.

Superb report from Mr & Mrs 3Pin! I’m glad that you had the tablet with you! The Coso art is fantastic, thanks for letting us tag along!

Great report Ski.

I toured that area about 15 years ago with a group of geology buddies. The glyphs in that region are quite spectacular as you so well captured. We were also very fortunate to have a connection with a consulting geologist and managed to get a private tour of the ruins at the old Coso Hot Springs Resort on the China Lake Test Center.

Thanks to you and the Lady for sharing your adventure.

craig333 said:
It is quite a remarkable area. The well would have given me the willies for sure. Learned some more geography today. Not sure why I'd assumed the Silver Peak repeater was in the Sierras when its actually in the Coso Range south of where you were. Looks like that area is pretty lightly traveled?
We were there during the week and it was nice and lonely. :)

There were other foot tracks, but not many.

craig333 said:
I always love a trip report that motivates me to fire up google earth and break out my maps but, none of my maps cover that area. Other than a 1951 topo and some street maps I'm not sure what I need to look for.
Happy to help. Don't forget caltopo.com for free mapping

Tuff Guy 62 said:
Great report Ski.

I toured that area about 15 years ago with a group of geology buddies. The glyphs in that region are quite spectacular as you so well captured. We were also very fortunate to have a connection with a consulting geologist and managed to get a private tour of the ruins at the old Coso Hot Springs Resort on the China Lake Test Center.

Thanks to you and the Lady for sharing your adventure.
What fun! Thanks for the nice comments! :)

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Thanks Ski for sharing your great trip.
Who needs a camera when you have a smart phone/tablet.

What gives the blue color to the rocks?

Great rock art.
Frank
I expect the make up of the rock and the type of light during the day.

Back
Top Bottom