Could Someone Give me Advice for a First Time Camper Exploring the Western U.S?

priyash22

Hello there,👋

I am planning my first big camping adventure across the western U.S.; and I could really use some guidance from the experienced folks here. I have always been a fan of hiking and day trips; but this will be my first time doing a multi week camping road trip. My goal is to explore a few national parks; campgrounds; and some off the beaten path spots throughout California; Oregon; and Nevada. I will be traveling in a small SUV with a roof top tent.

I would love to hear about your favorite campgrounds or any hidden gems for dispersed camping that might be less crowded. I am especially interested in quieter places where I can really connect with nature.

I am flexible with my dates and wondering if there are any months that you would recommend for the best weather and minimal crowds; especially in spots like Yosemite; Crater Lake; or Great Basin.

Any must have gear for a road trip like this?🤔 I have got the basics like a tent; stove; and sleeping bag; but I am curious if there is anything else you have found invaluable for camping in the West.

Also; I have gone through this post; https://www.wanderthewest.com/threads/picking-up-the-camper-plus-a-little-aws-devops-rogue-river-siskiyou-national-forest.7456/ which definitely helped me out a lot.

Since I will be spending a lot of time outdoors; I am also wondering if there is any wildlife I should be particularly cautious of; or general safety tips you would recommend.

Thanks in advance for your help and assistance.😇

Back
Top Bottom