Countertop replacement and sink removal (hinge top over refrig?)

kmcintyre

Ok, I'm replacing my countertop. My FWC Eagle is a 2003 and the counter was cracked. After a few months of watching craigslist, I found a large sheet of corian for basically free. It'll be perfect.

I have all of the screws out and the top where the sink and stove are located ready to come out except I can't figure out how to get the sink drain disconnected from the sink. Not the drain hose but the large, white fitting that screws? onto the bottom of the sink.

Also, I'm assuming that I need to pull my refrigerator to get the countertop off that's above the refrigerator as I don't see any screws there. I might use some type of hinge setup when I reinstall so that I don't have to do this again if I need to replace the counter again plus I have access to the top of the refrig. Why? I don't know as I haven't seen what all is under that countertop but it'd make it easier to get to the electrical there.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin,
I have a 1996 Grandby that I think has the same drain. Mine did unscrew. I think I held the inside drain and unscrewed the white cone looking thingy, if I remember correctly. Hope that helps.

Maybe mine is just "frozen". I don't see where I can even get any penetrating oil on the threads so might try to heat it a bit as it's stuck. I tried holding the drain while trying to unscrew the drain and the 4 prongs in the drain (metal) just broke off so I don't have any leverage now.

On my Hawk, there is space between the refrigerator and the counter above it. I filled this space with insulation to improve the performance of the refrigerator since the heat from the propane refrigerator heated the top of the refrigerator real nice and I did not like that.

One idea I thought would be cool would be to make that area a hidden storage location. So, a not so obvious hinge would allow you to maybe store your laptop or something else in there? Not sure if your Eagle has air space between the fridge and the counter top or not.

Steve

Ok, updates.

I finally got all the counters off. Removing the refrig wasn't that bad, you just have to find all the screws, disconnect the power, remove a few wires, etc.

The drain finally came off. Just a lot of patience and muscle.

Here's what I've found out though about my ideas for a hinged top, cutting board, etc. over the refrig. DON'T DO IT. According to the manual and (now) obvious reasons. The unit has to be sealed from the inside of the camper as it vents gas. Makes sense when you see how much caulking there is on the counter top. Adding insulation might be possible and I need to do more research but the manual seems to imply you need to keep airflow for max. efficiency. I may call and find out for sure. There is some insulation in there but not a ton or as much as I'd expected.

I guess if you isolated the refrig from the counter top but putting a false top in there and sealing it, you could do the cutting board and/or hinge idea if it'll swing open and not hit any of the overhanging (slight) lips on the back and side. I'll have to think about that some more. It'd be nice to have a bit more storage.

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom