Couple get lucky near the Sheldon NWR

craig333

Riley's Human
Best I can tell this is not another story of following the gps gone wrong. Seems they did have sleeping bags, food and water but failed to tell anyone where they were going.

Visiting that area in the Winter? Its remote. No cell phone coverage. Ham radio coverage is spotty at best. Might hit Cedarville if you get really lucky.

If the off duty Sheriff deputy hadn't run across them this story could have been tragic.

Definitely the time you want some sort of Sat phone/device. At least they stayed with the vehicle.

Foy said:
Reckon that's Stolpa country, eh?

Looking forward to reading about it.

Foy
Yup, the historic Stolpa country. I did a quick search and didn't turn anything up. Riley, tell your human companion to post the link. :)

It was on Reno TV here this weekend. Yep-It would have been allot worse if that off duty sheriff would have been out there! How many times have we said " Hey-know about where you are going ---before you go and be prepared". This high desert area can been bad-in fact we had a whole thread about it called "Getting Unstuck" -right Mr Mark BC. I guess they prepared by looking at "Burning Man Clips" :oops:, Happy Valentines Day!

Smoke

So many people travel to places they have only read very little about.
They have just heard or seen a story about a "great" place to visit.

Most people don't travel with a "crew" like our friend Dr. Strong to help
get them out of a problem.

Frank

Had a HS kid and his GF trail us in his dad's JK on our 2018 Elevation Extremes trip. This starts out at Badwater and gets more remote from there, what could possibly go wrong? They knew the general route due to a discussion that his dad had had at work with one of us. We played hop-scotch with our various stops until we were pretty remote and it turned out that their parents had no idea where they were going. We put them in the middle of the group and kept them there until we were done. There could be dragons out there and in their bravado they wrote them off as a mere annoyance. His dad got a full report the next week. I think the JK got sold because I haven't seen it around since and it was distinctive enough that I'd noticed it before.

In the last 30 years, Bear Gap in Southern Oregon has three instances of stranded motorists, two of which ended in a fatality. James Kim died of hypothermia, and Dewitt Finley starved to death after being stranded for 9 weeks. In addition to being prepared to survive a winter stranding, having communication abilities such as InReach, and most important leave a travel plan with friends and family.

I am glad the Davis couple was found safe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom