CPR

wuck

My wife and I had just parked, about to set off on a day hike this morning from a somewhat remote Sierra trailhead. As I climbed from the car, I heard a faint cry for help, and then a more pronounced "Hey! - Can you help? This guy needs help!"

I spent the next hour or so comforting a stranger, apparently suffering a heart attack, all the while thinking "I don't know CPR, what if he goes into arrest?". Cell service was non-existent. I sent the guy that alerted me off to find a ranger or camp host with a radio, my wife asked around as people came and went if there were any medically trained people, no dice. Fortunately, we had help with a radio in maybe 15-20 minutes, the fire/emt crews arrived about half an hour later, along with helo support. As the pros took over, my wife and I started off into the forest. Again, I thought, "I don't know CPR. What if he had gone into arrest?"

So, it's time. Off to the class for me! Where do I go? Maybe here?

Learning CPR is good but even if you're young and in great shape its not something you can keep up for long, certainly not a half hour. Might consider upgrading your communications. Curious, what kind of radio support did you wind up getting?

Check with your local fire department. Many of them either host classes. One of the best things you can do is to take your local CERT Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training. you will generally acquire CPR and other classes there, meet with emergency responders and learn about the incidents/disasters that can occur in your local area. You are also likely to be given a pitch by the local Amateur Radio Emergency Services (ARES) or the equivalent in your state. In which case, you may have had access to a ham radio in your vehicle or a hand held radio such that you could have summoned help immediately.

Good for you on looking for training. Try searching for "sebastapol ca cpr aed " and be prepared for many opportunities to get educated.

Paul

ps. I see Craig has already presented a ham reference.

Two Forest service employees responded, at least one was trained for CPR, another had a radio.

I've toyed with becoming a licensed ham operator, but suffer from too many hobbies as it is, even though one is electronics (retired electronics engineer).

Craig, PM sent.

I don't know how to hyperlink, but here,

http://www.amazon.com/AG-008727-201-Explorer-Satellite-Communicator-Navigation/dp/B00I6EY01C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1435120990&sr=8-2&keywords=delorme+inreach

1)I don't mean to sound cold, but there are going to be a lot more situations like this as the baby boomers (me too) get to that "special age."

2)As far as CPR goes. The tech now is pound hard and fast and skip the mouth part. At least that's what I've been told by the people that do this stuff.

3) Buy some good insurance for the helicopter ride.

Thats high on my list of things to do. Even though I was briefly an EMT thats all focused around an urban environment. Wrights Lake area has excellent coverage on 2 meter ham. Its pretty easy and not really time consuming.

Thanks everybody! Good ideas.

Craig & Paul, yep, gotta get un-lazy, get that license going. My son got his last year, he almost dragged me down to the class with him but I resisted - other things planned for the day. Coulda Shoulda Woulda. A 2 meter rig would have saved us the anguish of trying to find the ranger, along with 15-20 minutes of precious time.

DD - As I approach Geezer Pass eligibility, I don't think I'm up to swift water rescue, but thanks for the other pointers!

We're (This morning, my wife said - "You know, we should look into . . .") thinking along the lines of Wilderness First Aid/Responder type classes instead of a simple CPR class, probably be more valuable to us.

I cannot emphasise enough the importance of learning CPR. I got my first CPR card as a freshman in high school and have been continually certified for the past 43 years. Admittedly I have used it professionally for 39 of those years. I have also used those skills off duty, more than once.

Don't forget these skills are used for children and infants as well. Drowning at all ages is at alarming rates. Even with all the fancy drugs and equipment I have at work, it is usually useless unless bystander CPR is initiated prior to First Responder arrival.

+1 for getting an amateur radio license.

Back
Top Bottom