Cracks in Tundra bed at turnbuckle eye bolts

In preparation for picking up a used Bobcat camper, my friend and I have installed a fastening system as follows. The main guidance is from what BillM did.

-- Superstrut: 12-gage ( = about 0.109 inches thick), 1.625" x 1.625", four 6-inch long pieces. Purchased 10-foot length from Home Depot for about $21.

-- Cross-bolts: 7/16-inch Grade 8, four altogether, with two 7/16-inch Grade 8 washers for each. All bolts purchased from Home Depot or Lowe's.

-- Hold-down bolts: 1/2-inch Grade 8, eight altogether, two 1/2-inch Grade 8 washers per bolt.

-- Aluminum backing plate for underneath the truck: four 1/4-inch thick, 7" x 3" plates. Purchased from eBay for about $14.

-- Red Loctite, about $7

Cost of the superstrut, nuts, bolts and washers and some drill bits is now up to about $75 total. I had all the power tools already.

We spoke with Marty at ATC about the anchoring points (= cross-bolt locations).

The size of the aluminum backing plate will depend on what is underneath one's truck. One should get underneath and evaluate the dimensions before cutting the aluminum plate.

We were constantly measuring, of course, to get all drilled holes just right.

We torqued the hold-down bolts to 80 ft-lbs, per guidance on the net, and Loctited all nuts. Note that the lug nuts on a sedan vehicle's wheels are about 1/2-inch and typically tightened to about 80 ft-lbs. Torquing the 7/16-inch cross-bolts resulted in collapse of the superstrut, so we just snugged them and let them be. This argues for going with the 5/16-inch cross-bolts BillM used.

We will be using a locknut (jam nut) on the turnbuckles.

BillM said the Grade 5, 5/16-inch hold-down bolts had bent. I assumed a free-end beam and computed that the force on the cross-bolt was about 2100 to 3400 pounds to cause this failure of the hold-down bolts. But I could be wrong with many of my assumptions. I also did some calculations using the "Design Guide for Metal Cladding Fasteners" at the following address:
www.aamanet.org/mp/tir-a9-xx_d4_9-13-13_clean.pdf . I am pretty satisfied. Mostly BillM's experience and frequent monitoring are on what my friend and I will rely.

We are considering using happijac turnbuckles. These have some shock absorption. It seems to me that vibrations may be the bane of these fastening systems, along with tightening too much or too little on the turnbuckles. I am also contemplating what many have written about a three-point hold-down determining a plane and so arguably, one only wants to tighten three corners.

We are considering some cushioning between the truck bed rails and the camper as well.

We will be inspecting where the camper eyebolts attach to the camper. Per many recommendations at this site, we may be installing aluminum reinforcing plates, if the previous owner has not already.

Some hiccups and concerns so far:
-- I wonder whether orienting the superstruts laterally (instead of longitudinally = parallel to the corrugations in the bed) would be better. Especially for the front ones that take more of the load going up a hill. Oriented longitudinally, all the force from one corner of the camper may fall on one of the 1/2-inch hold-down bolts, assuming the 1/2-inch hold down-bolts are not perfectly placed in the superstrut's slots.

-- To cut the superstrut and aluminum plate, I used a $15 Angle Grinder with several 1/16-inch thick, 4-inch diameter, aluminum oxide cut-off wheels from Harbor Freight, item #s 60625 and 61353. This worked well on the superstrut. I could cut off a 6-inch piece of superstrut in about two minutes and feel safe doing so. Cutting the 1/4-inch thick aluminum plate was more difficult and took more care. I need to research why this was so difficult. Aluminum-based cutting wheel on aluminum plate = bad idea? Some sites say a circular saw with an appropriate aluminum-cutting blade will work better.

-- Buy several cobalt drill bits, from 1/16-inch for pilot holes to 1/2-inch, for drilling the holes in the superstrut and aluminum plate. We had some titanium drill bits and some cobalt drill bits. They either were dulling quickly or my 32-year-old tiny Black-and-Decker drill was overheating and so not operating at power some of the time. We let everything cool down periodically and got better drilling power. A titanium step drill bit from Harbor Freight Item #44460 was something of a workhorse for the final, larger holes and seems a good value for this job, given the thicknesses involved.

-- Getting a straight hole through the superstrut for the cross-bolt was difficult. Start with a long enough 1/16-inch pilot hole through both sides. A drill press would be preferable.

Photos are of the driver's side front fastener, top side and bottom. The top of the photos is the front of the camper bed. Rotate the view of the bottom about 30 degrees or so counter-clockwise to get a view as though you were laying beneath the truck, lying parallel to the corrugations in the bed.

Thank you again BillM and to many others who posted on this subject on the net.

Attachments

• camperfastenertopdrfrt.jpg
    camperfastenertopdrfrt.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 286
  • camperfastenerbotdrfrt.jpg
    camperfastenerbotdrfrt.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 275
We went to pick up the camper and found the turnbuckles were a little short in both the front and back. A trip to Home Depot to purchase some D-rings (to add length for this500-mile, non 4x4 trip) solved this. We got home, checking the turnbuckle tightness about every 100 miles. We originally went hand tight and then one-quarter turn, and found some loosening regularly. As women with little hand strength, I think we might try 1 full turn beyond hand tight.

The rear truck bed anchor points turned out to be a little aft of the camper eyebolts. Marty at ATC said this was not advisable, for uphill considerations. But after reading elsewhere at this site what Edohard, BenBurnett, Tomas Tierra and Chicali production manager of fourwh.com had do say, I think I would rather keep the rear truck bed anchor points aft of the rear camper eyebolts. Anyone want to comment further on this?

Turnbuckle and tie-downs are a topic likely to inspire disagreement so do not be surprised if folks disagree with these thoughts. Tie-downs have two forces to control in four directions and so do not work perfectly without a little help. The two forces are: lateral (sliding) and ballistic (up). An example of a camper under going ballistic motion is in this thread:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/9675-opened-turnbuckles/

A camper sliding side to side is an example of lateral force. The four directions are obviously: front, rear, left, and right.

The most obvious focus is on only one direction and one force: the camper sliding out the back, but all directions and both forces need to be controlled.

A tie-down or turnbuckle only exerts a force in one direction, the direction they point (and so are challenged to control two forces (lateral and ballistic) in four directions (front, back, left, right)).

If the rear turnbuckles are in front of the rear camper tie-downs then the camper is free to move ballistic (up) and to the front because no turnbuckle holds the camper back, all turnbuckles are pointing to the rear. Basically the camper is only held down by two turnbuckles in any direction: the two front prevent rear movement, the two rear prevent front movement, the two left prevent movement right, and the two right prevent movement left.

Turnbuckles point mostly up and down and control ballistic (up) movement the best (the force a turnbuckle exerts is only in the direction they point) and lateral (sliding) movement poorly. Bed mats and bed liners and other non skid surfaces reinforce the turnbuckles in controlling lateral movement by creating friction between the camper and the truck bed to prevent sliding. In addition, having the camper against the front wall of the truck bed (easier said then done) reduces sliding. My truck bed is very smooth and I us wood shims at the wheel wells to control sliding left and right.

Elle,

Your setup looks bomber and is stronger than mine. Sorry if I wasn't clear but the bolts that bent on me were the hold down bolts at the camper that 4wheel provided, not the hardware that I installed on the truck. I was also a bit mystified as to the proper length for the turnbuckle which is why I added 2 crossbolts to the Superstrut. FYI my rear truck bed anchors are aft of the camper attachments. This allows the front/aft anchor points to put the camper in tension and also pull down on it. If both truck anchors were forward of the camper attachments then the camper could "jump" up off the bed on rough roads. We just got back from a week in the Arizona Strip to Toroweap and Whitmore Point (trip report soon) and drove 200 miles plus of dirt including about 20 miles plus of 4wd low in first gear, everything still looks great. I hope you enjoy your camper as much as we do.

-Bill

Iowahiker, thank you for the input. I am now making plans for some shims on the sides to minimize the side-to-side movement.

BillM, thank you for clarifying about which bolts bent. Not knowing how much turnbuckle-length the previous owner had to spare, I should have drilled two holes in the superstruts like you did or at least come with some D-links. Most importantly, I appreciate the input about the rear truck bed anchors being aft of the camper attachments. I will think on this more but right now, it makes more sense to me especially on bumpy roads for the up-and-down motion. I am going to advise my friend to stick with the current rear truck bed anchor points she has.

We returned late last Saturday. I have not had a chance to inspect everything. When I get a good look at all, if I find anything bent up or otherwise odd, I will post back.

Elle,

My truck bed tie down points are forward of the camper tie downs at the front, rearward of the camper tie downs at the rear and outboard of all camper tie downs to control lateral shifting. So far I can't see that my camper has moved at all in about 40000 miles of driving on and off pavement.

Ditto, my tie down points are the same as BillM.

I am curious and this is an interesting calculation, did you?

"I am going to run some numbers to get a better feel for the kind of stresses involved."

Iowahiker, Good to read your tie-down points are oriented the same as BillM's and as it happens, my friend's.

Yes, I performed several calculations. The first calculation was to try to estimate what force would cause a less than Grade 8 bolt to bend, as BillM described here: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/8555-mounting-a-4wheel-camper-in-a-nissan-frontier-05-2014/. Bent bolts to me translate to a flexure or bending failure, possibly complicated by fatigue. I do not have my spreadsheet with me, but recall the estimate was around 4000 pounds of force on each of the four turnbuckles typically used to fasten a camper to a truck bed. The campers on these mini-truck typically run under 1000 pounds in weight, so the supposed 4000 pounds or so would be a consequence of dynamic loading. I think one must consider improper tightening of turnbuckles as a further complication. After coming up with a worst case amount of force applied at each of the four corners, I evaluated the fastening system my friend and I installed using "Design Guide for Metal Cladding Fasteners" at the following address: www.aamanet.org/mp/tir-a9-xx_d4_9-13-13_clean.pdf .

I do not stand by my calculations at present. I am educated, licensed (inactive) and experienced as a mechanical engineer but not specialized in structural engineering nor automotive suspensions, though I have some experience in each. BillM's experience, along with others' commentary about switching out the factory bolts with Grade 8 bolts of similar diameter and using aluminum backing plates here and there, is more valuable, afaic. Similarly one might consider say the size of the bolts used to attach a wheel to a car. I wonder how much engineering design goes into the campers these seemingly small companies sell. Or perhaps the disclaimer about four-wheel-driving is rather strong and anyone four-wheel-driving takes her or his camper at her or his own risk?

I am not wild about so-called over-engineering. Sometimes "over-engineering" is wrong engineering. E.g. Drilling larger holes (1/2-inch) in the truck bed than BillM's (5/16-inch) has its costs, as both common sense and the Design Guide I cite above implies in a number of calculations. Those weighing BillM's approach vs. mine should contemplate this. My friend's design is unproven. BillM's design sounds pretty proven to me.

Elle, Wow! We are both Chemical Engineers (unlicensed) retired from an oil refinery (our three kids are all engineers too). One class of statics in college provides just enough knowledge to be dangerous. Another source for tie-down codes is US DOT regulations. My understanding is light loads (less than 1,000 pounds) need total fastener capacity equal to the load. Over 1,000 pounds requires only 50 percent. There are other drops as loads get ever heavier. The OEM factory system delivered on my camper was 350 pounds capacity at each corner for a total of 1400 pounds for a camper with a dry/empty weight of 1200 pounds and a loaded and wet weight of 1800 pounds. The 350 pounds at each corner have failed in the field since the entire load is only controlled by two fasteners at a time for a given directional force (trapezoid orientation). We upgraded to 800-1000 pound capacity at each corner.

Turnbuckle orientation of a rear leaning parallelogram versus a trapezoid is a fun analysis. Create a rear leaning parallelogram with hook-type turnbuckles and consider the case of going down hill on a single lane mountain road into a blind switchback turn, yield to oncoming traffic (uphill has right-of-way), have the front bump stops 1/16-1/8" back from the front bed wall (difficult to see when the stops touch the front), brake hard, have the truck frame flex (Toyota's have c-channel flex frames, OEM statement), have the bed flex, have the camper flex (OEM statement), and all four hook-type turnbuckles can come totally off. The two rear turnbuckles will hold the camper using a trapezoid orientation.

Hi Iowahiker, BillM is the chemical engineer. I am the mechanical engineer. Thanks for the great information! I am going to study it and see how things look with BillM's and my friend's fastening system.

Old thread, but I really learned something here. I'm a noob about to pick up my new to me 2011 Hawk on my new 2017 Tundra. The previous owner has used the Hawk since new in his Ford F150 using the factory set up with eyebolts through his pickup bed. I did some talking to a trailer/camper mechanic today where they sell Lance hard sided truck campers among other things. He profusely recommended the Happijac mounting system with the stabilizing bar set up. Maybe this is overkill (it is sure expensive at about $550 installed including turnbuckles), but since I am not proficient in cutting metal and such I am inclined to go this direction...

2thdr said:
Old thread, but I really learned something here. I'm a noob about to pick up my new to me 2011 Hawk on my new 2017 Tundra. The previous owner has used the Hawk since new in his Ford F150 using the factory set up with eyebolts through his pickup bed. I did some talking to a trailer/camper mechanic today where they sell Lance hard sided truck campers among other things. He profusely recommended the Happijac mounting system with the stabilizing bar set up. Maybe this is overkill (it is sure expensive at about $550 installed including turnbuckles), but since I am not proficient in cutting metal and such I am inclined to go this direction...

A thought...go to the closest FWC dealership [one in Tigard is great] and have them prep the Tundra for the Hawk....I will guess that the Lance can't use inside the bed fastener points so the exterior system is their only option..personally, especially off road, the less jutting off the vehicle to get hung up the better...

Lastly, all the engineering discussion notwithstanding... empirically viewing this topic seems to indicate that thousands of FWCs are securely held in place with the FWC attachment recommendations. Guess I am saying that if installed by current FWC standards, even banging around off road all will be fine...

I could be wrong but the sky is not falling... :D

I'm sure the RV guy would be happy to sell you a Happijac system, and they are very good, but the eyebolt and turnbuckle system has been used successfully for a long time by FWC and ATC. Don't forget you're going to need the wiring hooked up, too. I believe it would be worth your time to at least talk to or visit American RV in Tigard.

I actually called American RV this afternoon and they guy I talked to (Jason) said they don't use the Happijac system. When I quizzed him about mounting failures, he said he doesn't see very many, but they are almost always self-installations that were done improperly. I have no problem paying the $500 for the install (includes the wire harness hookup), but scheduling this time of year is apparently an issue, as they are booking out two weeks. I am going up to Bellingham this weekend to pick up the Hawk (I live south of Salem). My only option I guess is to do the install myself with eyebolts and then book an appointment for American RV to do it properly after the first of the year.

Many folks have retrieved a camper using strong web straps from the Jack mounts to a secure point (frame?) on the truck. There should be some thread entries on how they did that. It may be a better option than a temporary eyebolt. Is your bed one of the composite models?

Unless you're into self abuse, don't make that a one day trip. Last month I went to Anacortes and back in a single day, and it kicked my tail. I did catch the Keystone ferry from Whidbey to Port Townsend to miss Seattle and Tacoma on the way back. At 5:00 am, It was heavy/very slow traffic from south of Tacoma to just north of the Olive St exit in Seattle. Then it was just heavy and fast from there.

OK..I get that...time is imperative...I don't have it but FWC did have a video for DIY installation of anchors in truck bed and if I remember correctly the demo veh was a Tundra...

All that being said, this weekend is now....good luck..

Phil

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Many folks have retrieved a camper using strong web straps from the Jack mounts to a secure point (frame?) on the truck. There should be some thread entries on how they did that. It may be a better option than a temporary eyebolt. Is your bed one of the composite models?
Unless you're into self abuse, don't make that a one day trip. Last month I went to Anacortes and back in a single day, and it kicked my tail. I did catch the Keystone ferry from Whidbey to Port Townsend to miss Seattle and Tacoma on the way back. At 5:00 am, It was heavy/very slow traffic from south of Tacoma to just north of the Olive St exit in Seattle. Then it was just heavy and fast from there.
I know what you mean about the drive. I don't know why any sane individual would choose to live in that mêlée. Holy cow the traffic is bad! This will be our second trip up in as many weeks, and we just overnight in B-town at the Spring Hill Suites for about $100 bucks... it's worth it! Thanks for all the input guys... I'll let you know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom