Crater Lake, Lassen National Forest

Ted

Magellan
Site Team
Not much of a trip report. Just wanted to report we finally got out in our camper again. It had been almost two months which is a record for us. Went to Crater Lake in Lassen National Forest. We tried to go there last Memorial Day weekend but the snow drifts were still too high. This year the road was completely clear. Some day trippers otherwise the whole lake was all ours from early evening until midmorning both nights. :)

The big news, though, is that the days were very windy and our roof was quiet - no more oil canning! :D :D :D

gallery_176_163_365716.jpg

Looks like a nice time Ted! I hope to get up to Lassen sometime in the not too distant future.

Feel like sharing what the fix was with your roof?

Good to hear your roof was quite. Tom did talk about the oil canning at the Rally. He told us FWC took a good customers roof apart to see what the problem was.

Hope we can meet camping some time.

Bill.

Te.

Looks great-Don't believe I ever saw just one rig up there over all these years :) ! Road clear and no snow--maybe that's a bad sign for lot's of fires this year :sneaky: ! The wind was real bad here in Susanville and I thought about you guys up there and was wondering how it was, but figured it would be windy and cold. To windy for good boating :oops: ? Glad your roof was fine and a had successful trip. Maybe next time I'll see you guys out there-just had to much to do that weekend-retirement is not all just play you know :p ! Wonder if our wolf ever found a girl friend and came back down here-have not heard anything about him?

Smoke

Tom did talk about your camper, was pretty sure they'd nailed it. Good to hear they did. Where is crater lake? I thought I knew the Lassen NF pretty well.

craig333 said:
Tom did talk about your camper, was pretty sure they'd nailed it. Good to hear they did. Where is crater lake? I thought I knew the Lassen NF pretty well.
Craig-it's north of 44 and the Lassen NP's-Butte Lake. The turn-off to it is near the Bogart rest area. Go east from Old Station then up the hill. A nice little lake up on top of the mountain-get's lots of use during the summer!

Smoke

billharr said:
Good to hear your roof was quite. Tom did talk about the oil canning at the Rally. He told us FWC took a good customers roof apart to see what the problem was.

Bill.
That is a good customer (or at least a very trusting one) that will let you take their roof apart. :D

billharr said:

Bill.
What was the problem and solution?

Several of you have asked, but to be honest, I don't really know what the problem or solution was. FWC was quite perplexed. They have been making the one piece roofs for several years now with no problems. They checked the roof material, lot stamps on the tape used to attach the roof, staff, anything they could think of to see if something changed. Nothing. So they disected the roof to see if they could determine the problem. They had the camper for three weeks, during which my updates were "We're going to try this..." or "We're going to do that..." In the end, I just got a date to have the camper reinstalled. Of course, I was pushing them to have it done in time for the rally since we were signed up, but I don't think that really ever was a factor. As luck would have it, then I got sick and we didn't make the rally after all. Obviously since the roof was taken apart, there is a new roof on the camper. But in the long run I don't know what, if anything, they did differently. It may just have been one of those "--it happens" kind of things.

It is important to me that what FWC did about this shows a high level of dedication to their product and to customer service, and we appreciate everything they did.

What was the original symptom or problem? I've heard you call it "oil canning" but what exactly does that mean?

Spitfire said:
What was the original symptom or problem? I've heard you call it "oil canning" but what exactly does that mean?
the noise a can like this makes
oil-can.jpg

Squeeze an empty beer of coke can on the sides makes a similar noise. Only the one piece roof have done this and just a few. Mine will oil can when I lower the front, but only some times.

Ted, I'm glad that you got out to enjoy your new silent-roofed camper. :)

I have to say, though, that it's kinda confusing for there to be a "Crater Lake" in northern CA as well as one in southern OR. Don't know what those geographers were thinking! ;)

I was out and about in that area the last two weeks of April and was running into snow drifts left and right. Beautiful area with not that many people.

Back
Top Bottom