Current fridge options

Oregonsurfer

I am ordering my fleet next weekend. I am stoked. The stock fridge that comes with the fleet is a 1.7 cubic foot 3 way. This is too small for my family of 3. I am thinking of the 2 way 85 liter, but it's ac/dc only. If I get the 2 battery pack option and the 160 watt solar kit, I imagine I would still drain the batteries...what do you all think. Assume a 2 day trip boondocking. I do have a generator that I'm not opposed to running a few hours every day.

I have an Engel 45 top loader that runs off 110 and 12v that i used with my westfalia. I'd prefer to not bring it along as the fleet is loaded with equipment and will have 3 people, but if you think that I should use it along with the 1.7 cubic for 3 way, I'll consider it.

Thoughts?

With the Isotherm Cruise 65, 200 Watts of Solar and Two batteries I have no troubles maintaining charge even when I run the furnace at night and have cloudy days. I find that if camped under tree cover I can typically go 2-3 days without issue, YMMV. I would definitely recommend going for the larger fridge, I wish I'd put a bigger one in when I installed the 65 but that will be a project for down the road.

We started with 100W solar on the roof, 2 AGM batteries, and 85L Dometic compressor fridge and my CPAP Machine at night and have never had a problem, even with back to back days of rain. We purchased an 80W Zamp portable to plug in. We are careful about using lights and typically use battery operated LED lights. We typically drop the top and go sightseeing for the day which helps with the charging. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Very happy with 2-way Isotherm 130....Zamp 160w roof, portable Zamp 80w,double AGMs...all came on the Hawk..

Review the FWC video on the pros and cons of two way VS three way iceboxes....depends on how you will use your camper...for us it was an easy choice.

Phil

Thanks guys, it sounds like I won't be unsatisfied with the 85l setup I mentioned. I will check those videos too, Thanks! I'm open to reading more experiences too.

mctacoslayer said:
Hows the noise when sleeping on the isotherm fridges?

I am a light sleeper...but the 130 Isotherm was quiet with compressor running...I like it; it has never woke me up.

Two great features about compressor fridges:

1. They will operate 30* off level

2, They will maintain whatever temperature you set them at.

We don't have a freezer in our top loading Engel. Yet ice cubers last up to 7 days at 38* temp.

The 3 - ways must be level or the coil system can be damaged

will only cool 40* below ambient temperature.

RC Pilot Jim said:
Two great features about compressor fridges:

1. They will operate 30* off level

2, They will maintain whatever temperature you set them at.

We don't have a freezer in our top loading Engel. Yet ice cubers last up to 7 days at 38* temp.

The 3 - ways must be level or the coil system can be damaged

will only cool 40* below ambient temperature.
And they don't use propane... :D

I'm hoping to order a Hawk soon and I'm still torn between the 2 way and 3 way(isotherm 130). Its only because I live in the pacific northwest where there's far less sun to solar charge the batteries, especially in the fall. I don't expect to be camping longer than 2-3 days so maybe the batteries(2) will be enough. Most sites I would be staying at will not have shore power, and will be in trees. I guess if I had to I can run the vehicle to charge the batteries. Is that a viable solution?

T

"will only cool 40* below ambient temperature"

Not true with the proper installation. Mine will hold 40* when it is 100* outside.

CWD

Oregonsurfer,

I built a little slide out for my Engel MR040 so it can go where the stock fridge would be. Works really well if you want to continue using your top loader.

Riley

mctacoslayer said:
I'm hoping to order a Hawk soon and I'm still torn between the 2 way and 3 way(isotherm 130). Its only because I live in the pacific northwest where there's far less sun to solar charge the batteries, especially in the fall. I don't expect to be camping longer than 2-3 days so maybe the batteries(2) will be enough...
After years of 3-way in a tent trailer, and a season of 3-way in an older FWC, I *always* run the fridge off propane when camping. My sense is that it would take less than 24 hours to take a typical batt down to 20% of capacity (danger zone!) on 12v in typical PNW weather. No solar in my rig, and I'll always camp in the shade if I can!

Both of my fridges have been older models. But they just sip at the propane. The serious propane use comes from extended runs of the furnace (which also draws down the batt).

My strategy:
* Replace all interior and porch bulbs with LED. Then, use the lights as needed, supplement with LED headlamp.
* Generally, we cook outside. I occasionally use the stove to heat water, but, it too is not a big propane user.
* Run the furnace while prepping for bed if needed, typically 10-20 minutes.

Fridge:
* Cool down the fridge on AC for 24 hours before leaving home. Anything I'll want cold I'll cool down in the house.
* Run the fridge on 12v while driving, this *should* be mostly alternator, but, my charge-circuit wiring is only 10ga and can't keep up with the fridge; this runs down the camper batt. Need to rewire!
* Backup - run the fridge on propane while driving (but flame must be out before hitting a gas station!), but, my flame blows out. Mine in the FWC is unlike most of the 3-ways as installed, which will maintain flame while driving. FWC owners who post here seem to have fridges that don't blow out. I'm going to have the fridge serviced.
* Backup to the backup - stick a 1g frozen water jug in the fridge when leaving home, hopefully this is temporary.
* Camping - run the fridge on propane if no AC hookup. Never 12v.

I'm pretty aware of battery use, as I also want to get 2-3 nights of CPAP out of a group 24 deep cycle.

Timothy Lake this weekend!

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Thanks Seth for your input! very helpful.

I think for myself who will mostly camp in the PNW/BC area with all its forested shade and short fall daylight/seasons, rec sites without shore power, etc, the larger 3 way fridge looks like the only way to go.

Cheers!

T

Oregonsurfer said:
I am ordering my fleet next weekend. I am stoked. The stock fridge that comes with the fleet is a 1.7 cubic foot 3 way. This is too small for my family of 3. I am thinking of the 2 way 85 liter, but it's ac/dc only. If I get the 2 battery pack option and the 160 watt solar kit, I imagine I would still drain the batteries...what do you all think. Assume a 2 day trip boondocking. I do have a generator that I'm not opposed to running a few hours every day.

I have an Engel 45 top loader that runs off 110 and 12v that i used with my westfalia. I'd prefer to not bring it along as the fleet is loaded with equipment and will have 3 people, but if you think that I should use it along with the 1.7 cubic for 3 way, I'll consider it.

Thoughts?
Though there only the two of us ,using the 3 way on propane set to the lowest setting and the a Truckfridge 12/110v cooler work great.
The 3way is pre cooled and a couple of frozen 1/2 gal jugs,(that refreeze).
We just spent 6 weeks traveling/camping in Alaska and our system worked great.
We have 105w solar that seems to take care of our needs.
The ferry trip to Whittier,Ak was 5 nights with the cooler running @36* worked great.
With 3 people there might not be enough room,but try to carry the cooler between the battery box and stove area.
Frank

I have a brand new 2016 Hawk with a 3-way (standard equipment) fridge. The truck is a 2016 F-150. Here is my disappointing experience: If I switch to 12V while going down the road, the on-board (single) camper battery will discharge roughly 50% per day of travel. When I switch to propane that night after travel and then switch back to 12V for a second day of travel (i.e. two days of no shore power), the on-board battery will totally deplete to zero. Yes, I can hear the relay clicking ON when the truck is started and I can see charging voltage applied to the on-board camper battery. Yes, I always start the trip by running the fridge on 110V shore power the night before to cool the fridge down. The FWC dealer is suggesting that the fridge consumes more power than the output of the truck charging circuit. If this is true, what good is it to have a 12V option on the fridge? I think there is more going on than I understand.

My workaround is to use propane while going down the highway which seems to work well.

Has anyone had a similar experience with their 3-way?

Something sounds hinky to me. I don't know what the power consumption for your 3 way is, but the F150 alternator is putting out a lot. ( https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2015/15_Electrical_SB_Updates.pdf) I think it's page 12 you want.

I suspect there's a loss from the truck to camper, or in the camper. Have you checked amperage into the battery (fridge both on and off)?

With the stock Surepower battery separator and stock 10ga wiring in my 2014 Eagle the alternator in my Tacoma doesn't keep up with my 2 way fridge in hot weather. I don't know if 3 ways on 12v draw more than 2 ways or not. I just changed out my separator to a Bluesea and will find out if that helps on my trip to Overland Expo east.

oldebondo said:
I have a brand new 2016 Hawk with a 3-way (standard equipment) fridge. The truck is a 2016 F-150. Here is my disappointing experience: If I switch to 12V while going down the road, the on-board (single) camper battery will discharge roughly 50% per day of travel. When I switch to propane that night after travel and then switch back to 12V for a second day of travel (i.e. two days of no shore power), the on-board battery will totally deplete to zero. Yes, I can hear the relay clicking ON when the truck is started and I can see charging voltage applied to the on-board camper battery. Yes, I always start the trip by running the fridge on 110V shore power the night before to cool the fridge down. The FWC dealer is suggesting that the fridge consumes more power than the output of the truck charging circuit. If this is true, what good is it to have a 12V option on the fridge? I think there is more going on than I understand.

My workaround is to use propane while going down the highway which seems to work well.

Has anyone had a similar experience with their 3-way?

On our 3 way Dometic fridge, we run it on propane all of the time. It seems like a hassle to keep going back and forth between propane and 12 volt.
Every time you stop for an extended period you would have to switch back and forth between the two.

It has been posted elsewhere on Wander the West but I'll add from my very limited knowledge base. A three way fridge is an ammonia absorption refrigerator -
link
It has no moving parts and uses only heat to work - either from propane flame (very efficient) or from an electric heater (when you switch to 12V and is a energy hog - like running an electric heater at home)

A 2 way compressor fridge has a compressor with moving parts like your home fridge. The 2 way runs on either 120 or 12V.

A 2 way running on 12V uses less energy than a 3 way running on 12V

So your 3 way is draining your camper battery while driving. Your charging is not keeping up with the demand. Most, I believe, run the 3 way on propane while driving and take precautions at gas stations). I don't know if your problem is common. Gut reaction is that something is not right.

Back
Top Bottom