Custom camper photos needed

Greg B

I ordered a new Ocelot shell model from ATC and I am looking at all the options I can order with it such as extra windows, heater, vents etc. What options have you found useful for a FWC or ATC? If you have any pictures of custom interiors please send them my way. I am interested in different configurations for the fold out couch. We are a family of 4 so I need the extra bed and as much storage as possible. I plan on adding my own shelf on the drivers side for a removable stove and storage underneath. I am open to any suggestions as this is my first camper. I've been a happy tent camper for 25 years, so I'd like to keep it simple. Thanks, Greg

Hey Greg

There are a few threads I started when I got mine. Marty was very accomodating and helpful in creating the Ocelot line (Mine was the first). If you need other images or have any questions, I'm happy to help.

Ours is pretty loaded with refer, furnace, water pump, dual vents. Wasn't sure on the furnace, but glad we spec'ed it. Very hand if your caught in a few days of rain. Great way to dry everything out. Cloths espically.

The dual vents are a good idea too. We did a fantastic fan on the rear one, good for cooking and cooling. The one over the bed is handy to adjust while you are sleeping. Didn't get the rear window and have mounted spare fuel there anyway. Don't use the outdoor light much, but might if I had little ones running around. The stock galley is about as efficient as one can have. I doubt one can make anything more useful. I miss some of the outdoor cooking. But there's no endless trips to and from the truck to setup, cook, cleaup and stow the kitchen.

Also, if you do want to make your own, talk to Marty. Don't tie in both ends of the cabinet to the ends of the camper, for instance. It will limit flex of the camper and cause problems. As I said, their design is really efficient storage wise. We have the standard ATC couch. There is some good storage under there. I might still rebuild it to be 1/2" taller for a few things and their cases. Haven't had anyone sleep on couch tho. There's just the two of us

Hope this helps.

S

Oh, and the water tank and pump kick butt. Compact and easy to fill waterbottles/camelbacks. Even with the top down! I can't think of a better way to carry 15 gallons.

S

Hi Greg,

You probably have all of the pictures that I have of the camper.

To answer your questions... I should give a little background... I owned a LOADED FWC Grandby that I mounted on a LOADED GMC Camper Special. Great combo... Loved the Grandby, excellent camper that did it all.

I camp a lot and came to the conclusion that for me... I love cooking outside... even if it's raining...or cold. Making coffee in the cold is a blast. Basically, everything I do is outside except sleeping or keeping dry (except when cooking)...

My recommendations are this:

AT makes a great camper and the guys there are fantastic. Good call.
Definitely get the heater. No questions. When you need it...you need it...and it's great to wake up to a warm room.
Definitely get the big window on the driver's side. It'll make your camper feel twice the size and be twice as light inside.
I had them wire it for an extra battery and solar. I hooked a battery and a switchable inverter up. I have a 12v plug and a 110v plug. Glad I did.
The roof vent is a must. I don't know if you need a fan unless you cook inside. The windows allow for a great deal of ventilation.
I didn't get the screen door... I'm on the fence about this one... I can see going either way. I was just afraid that i'd plow through it in the middle of the night.
Water storage... uh... I'd rather carry it myself so that I know the water is always clean..and as far as sinks...i have a 5 gallon bucket that carries all of my pots, pans and silverware and doubles as a sink when needed (I can wash outside with a bucket). Not to mention... that it serves the job of campsite bucket very well.
Stove... see my comments regarding outside cooking... I have a few ideas about this and if you're interested let me know.
Seats... Sorry Marty but the mechanism that FWC uses to move the lower seat to the bed configuration is nice. The one that I have in my camper is brutal and I've had to repair it a few times and the use has been pretty mellow.
Finally, refrigeration. I would love to have put a top loader 3/way frig in but just didn't know where to put it. Possibly under the passenger side of the back facing bench seat.

Let me know if you have any other questions and if you're ever in Santa Cruz look me up..

Take care and you made a great choice.

Clark
Finally... refrigeration.

Back
Top Bottom