Custom Cougar build for family of 5

go4custom

This started life as a used 2016 shell bought Nov, 2022. 95% of the build was done June 2023. The previous owner did his own electrical work and a small cabinet; all to which had to be removed and electrical redone. ATC also built this 2" tall to fit his truck and his 6'5'' frame, so the added height is nice.
With a family of five (currently 7, 10, 14) I wanted to make sure I maximized storage space, weight and ease of setup for sleeping. The cabinet faces were built from 5mm Baltic Birch that were CNC cut so they would be flush and even. The cabinet frame was built with 1/2 plywood. Kitchen draw slides were chosen for longevity and consistency opening and closing, even though they'd weigh more. A butcher block counter top was too heavy and too much money, so my dad came up with the idea of using maple wood flooring and gluing the slats together to create the top and table. I never liked the camp sinks I saw in FWC or ATC... or in most RV so I used a true kitchen sink found at Home Depot (yes it was costly), but doing dishes is a breeze. Next was the 19gal water tank, two Renogy 200w panels, one 100ah lithium battery, custom made cushions and the NovaKool R4500 AC/DC fridge. Annnnd....one water leak during winter that I should have noticed that led to me diving down the rabbit hole of removing all the panels, ceiling, and insulation and replacing with R6 hard sided insulation.
Our first go at camping was seven days in Yosemite last summer with the first three days being close to 100. Being in the shade the majority of the day, the panels ran in series, kept the battery charged enough that we never dipped below 54% and the fridge kept up great. Since then, we've had close to 15 trips in the camper, mostly warm weather and the sleeping arrangements have worked out great.

tempImageZUyS1T.jpg
How it came home
tempImagetSgESO.jpg
How it sits with Carli suspension and 35x11.5x18" tires
tempImageFLMEHu.jpg
tempImageNmFaqN.jpg
How the electrical came and how it ended with Marty's help.
tempImage0fmVel.jpg
tempImagePq7ec1.jpg
tempImagec25xt2.jpg
tempImageBf6OyY.jpg
tempImage98VEXC.jpg
tempImagezCsCkx.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work. I did a similar custom build in my Cougar for a family of 4. You have more storage space, I have more floor space, it is a trade-off.

What a great use of space! We are a family of 6 and I’ve long been thinking about how to retrofit bunk beds in to my factory built out Eagle. I will use your build to validate my plans. I may have to span a longer distance on the passenger side since I don’t have a cabinet in that back corner but I do have a cabinet on the drivers side above the sink and stove so I think your slat configuration will work well there. If I span that distance I may have a stronger piece to span then do the slats perpendicular. I love your setup because it can be stowed to maximize usable space. We do most all of our cooking and eating outside but it’s nice it keep the backup of sink and stove inside. Thanks again for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom