Custom Pickup Bed with Storage for FWWC Camper

ckent323

I have an old Dodge W250 ClubCab longbed Diesel.

The bed is "shedding" paint and the Cab paint is showing signs of age so I need to get the truck painted. As long as I am at it I would like to modify the bed to have external accessible storage as well as cut down the height of the wheel wells. On the 4WD truck the wheel well heights are far larger then needed.

So far I have been unsuccessful finding anyone locally to make the mods I want.

I have included a picture of an aftermarket bed that was made by Royal Truck Body for Ford and Chevrolet pickups. It was called a "Sport Body"/ These are no longer made and were never made for Dodge.

Royal Sport Body.jpg

TruckCompartment12076653.jpg

Stahl Truck Body makes a "sculpted bed" called the Grand Challenger for Ford and Chevrolet but not for Dodge trucks.

Neither Royal nor Stahl were interested in making something for my truck.

I would like to have a body shop modify my bed to look similar to this (but to match my Dodge).

Anyone have any suggestions for a California or Arizona shop or supplier that could do this work?

Craig

I think that by the time you pay for that kind of custom work that you'll be cubic dollars ahead to have gone with a regular service bed and had it painted to match your truck. What you're wanting is one-off custom fabrication, and is labor intensive using high cost per hour labor.

That said, I was referred to Calvin Metal (or a name close to that) in Oxnard, CA for some one-off work that I need done on the Bronco Pick-up.

ntsqd,

Thanks for the suggestion. A regular service bed is too heavy, further, they are non-conforming to the truck contour lines and create air drag so not interested in that route.

I will try Calvin Metal.

Regards,

Craig

Craig, I've seen at least one post where an access port was cut into a bed, then closed with a marine type hatch. Bowmar and Tempress are a couple of the manufacturers.

Joez3,

Great link thanks!

WS,

I'll look those companies up - thank you.

I would go to a flatbed with side boxes but I have a 2009 Keystone that already has about a 12" gap between the top of my 1993 Dodge W250 truck cab and the bottom of the FWC Keystone cab over bed floor.

I have been told that a flatbed mounts about 6'" to 8" "higher" than a normal pickup bed so that truck cab to camper bed floor gap would get bigger by the same amount. The existing gap is already more than I want.

Try RV LIFE Pro Free for 7 Days

• New Ad-Free experience on this RV LIFE Community.
  • Plan the best RV Safe travel with RV LIFE Trip Wizard.
  • Navigate with our RV Safe GPS mobile app.
  • and much more...
Try RV Life Pro Today
Back
Top Bottom