Cutting into Camper Sides

Roberto

Fellow Camper DIYrs :)

How difficult is it to install things into the side of the camper shell? Like, for example, external showers, compartments with doors, and the like?

I want to stay away from cutting in the frame members and re-welding, etc, though I do have a MIG welder.

So, what's the consensus, ideas, etc?

I'm in the middle of a rebuild right now and have installed a couple of new things that have required cutting into the aluminum siding. I use a Roto-Zip with the metal cutting bit. It goes right through it with no problems.

As for welding the frame back together if you cut it...unless you are experienced (which if you are please disregard the following comments;) )with welding aluminum I would avoid it especially with a MIG welder unless you have a spool gun for the aluminum wire....

Good luck

S.

As I am new to this forum I do have some knowledge with the construction of the Four Wheel Campers. My neighbor has one that he has managed to rip one of the jacks off and hit a duck as well I have rewired it. I have had some of the exterior and interior apart, so with that said here I go.
There are a number of frame members both horizontal and vertical that are not visible with the outer skin on plus in some areas there might be wires.
I would recommend drilling the rivets out of the interior panel and remove it so you can see where everything is located.
As someone else mentioned MIG is great as long as you have an aluminum spool gun.

How would you recommend putting the panels back on - rivets again? Sounds like there are voids in the frame where appliances can fit. Does anyone have pictures of a bare frame for a Keystone by any chance?

Yes, I do have an aluminum spool gun, and an Argon cylinder. However, I want to stay away from touching that frame like the plague.

How would you recommend putting the panels back on - rivets again? Sounds like there are voids in the frame where appliances can fit. Does anyone have pictures of a bare frame for a Keystone by any chance?

Yes, I do have an aluminum spool gun, and an Argon cylinder. However, I want to stay away from touching that frame like the plague.

You could use rivets again or small interior screws with the conical washers(my favorite)
Maybe Stan can take a picture of the frame they have sitting next to the office at FWC.
Don't be afraid to weld. You can always cut it back out and cover it up. There is no personal growth from fear!!

Here is a link to the screws http://www.wolfgangint.com/SubPages/PartsBin.lasso?-session=Wolfgang_Session:3FCFE4C216447212B3IWL3850541

There is no personal growth from fear!!

I love it - great quote! :cool:

Thanks for your help.

As posted in other threads, a stud finder will find the framing.

Hey Roberto

Sounds good. Just stop on by and we can talk about your needs / wants / desires :)

The camper is pre-framed for some stuff, so you might not have to do as much cutting & welding as you think.

A visit to our factory might be the best options so we can show you what goes into making the frame.

See you soon ...

Like the others said, I think removing the interior paneling is best. That's the hard part, cutting the siding and installing (whatever) is easy. I found tin snips to work best for cutting the siding.

Back
Top Bottom