Dardanelles is gone.

billharr

The fire jumped 108 and Dardanelles is gone. Not sure how many of the old cabins in the area survived. Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 7.05.42 PM.jpg

I wish I could send you some of our rain..... Prayers to all affected by these terrible fires.

From the fire map also looks like the campgrounds along Clarks Fork are gone.
Also the Y camp Jack Hazard just past the store might be gone.
Very sad to read the story in the Modesto Bee about the store and resort.
The current owners just bought the store in May.

My wife and her friends went to "Y" camp at Jack Hazard back in the mid 50's.

Frank

the donnell fire map burn area shows the clark fork campground as being unburned but that seems impossible...

today a call to summit ranger station: unknown status of cf campground and it would be "awhile" before an assessment could be done...

i foresee it possibly being years before clark fork rd is reopened... ...6NO6 did not open this summer after last year's fire...

:-(

They are still hoping to save Kennedy Meadows. But the area will not be the same in my lifetime. The geologist in me says, “Good, the geology shows better without all that vegetation in the way.” The botanist in me can’t stop crying. But this is what happens when you suppress natural fire for far too long. Stay safe everyone.

Just hope it gets contained before it gets into the Iceberg Wilderness.
Seems to be headed that way.
That area 40+ years ago was my first adventure into the Sierras.
Camping at Deadmans Campground and hiking to Relief Reservoir
with a one year old on my back.What a great trip.
Sharon spent several summers at Camp Jack Hazard in the mid 50s backpacking out of there up to Levitt Meadow/peak.
Lots of fond memories.Hopefully some of the area will be saved.
Frank

May already be in there.

A Forest Closure Order for the Carson-Iceberg Wilderness on the Summit and Calaveras Ranger Districts is going into effect this evening. Spicer Reservoir is also within the closure area. Highway 108 is still closed at Eagle Meadow Road from the west and at the top of Sonora Pass on the east side. The Alpine County Sheriff’s Office has closed the gate at the junction of Highway 4 and Highlands Lake Road (Forest Service Road 8N01). The Pacific Crest Trail has also been closed between Highway 108 and Highway 4 for public safety.

This fire has the potential to go a long ways up the crest and to the north and northeast. I expect that plans are to use highway 4 as a possible fire break. The risk of it getting into the East Fork Carson and possibly over into the Silver King drainage - home to the rarest species of cutthroat trout - breaks my heart.

Back
Top Bottom