Day trip to Owens Valley, CA?

Foy

Resident Geologist
Gents and ladies,

On Sunday we took our "baby" son, all 6'4" and 200 lbs of him, to the airport to fly to LAX, with the Navy Seabee base of Port Hueneme as his final destination. He'll be training there for around 90 days before deploying to Afghanistan with a Reserve Seabee battalion. He volunteered for the mobilization and deployment with a battalion other than his own, so there it is. He'll have no leave or opportunity to come home to NC while training, so the wife and I are looking to fly to southern CA and spend a week, even though we only expect to be able to visit with him in the evenings. We would otherwise be April/May 2014 seeing our little fella again, and that just won't do.

That being the case, we'll be up for some local/regional explorations on a day-tripping basis. I visited him at Port Hueneme some 6 years ago while he was on active duty there and took a solo trip over the mountains from Ventura to Carizzo Plains, up Badwater Road to Cholame, over to Paso Robles, then up US 101 to my sister's Watsonville area residence. I'd like to take my wife to Carizzo Plains to see the Wallace Creek site where the fault movement of the San Andreas Fault is so well-displayed. She and I had driven the PCH from Monterey down to Morro Bay at a point later in that trip (she'd joined me in San Jose and we'd day-tripped back to Port Hueneme in a day), so I don't know of further explorations we'd want up that way, but am open to suggestions.

We're considering a day trip out to the Channel Islands for some hiking but don't know where to start considering the various islands and what can be hiked in a day's time. I'll be perusing the various websites and maps, but some personal recommendations would be much appreciated.

Since I started following some of your trips here on WTW, I've been in awe of the Owens Valley and surrounding mountains. Just seeing a place where +11,000' of topographic relief is present would be worth a trip up to the Lone Pine area. It appears that would be a 200 mile run, each way, but if we could roll at 00:dark:30 out of Port Hueneme, perhaps we could get up there,look around a bit, and get back in a long day's time. That's at the far end of what we may be able to do in a day, but suggestions as to a drive-up or a drive-by up there, or something of a loop route, would be great. Having done so before, I'm aquainted with the Victorville-Palmdale-Santa Clarita-Ventura route to reach the high desert, avoiding the LA Basin.

At this juncture, we think we'd want to be in our harborside motel adjacent to the Navy base each night, in order to take our son and some of his buddies out for supper and beers, but there may be opportunities for one or more overnights if his training takes him up to Fort Hunter Liggett or Twentynine Palms while we're there. All in all, we'd be interested in suggestions for day-trips in a rental SUV, eschewing knarly off-roading (darn those rental contracts and the gps which enforces them!) within 100-150 miles of the Oxnard-Ventura area. Most anywhere in SouCal would be of interest, but our one day in the LA Basin when we visited 6 years ago should last us a lifetime, thank you. I have both the SouCal DeLorme and a CA Benchmark, so I should be able to "follow along" with any detailed suggestions offered.

Thanks in advance for any ideas. I'm getting pumped up already!

Foy

Foy,
Side trips off of HWY 33 north of Ojai and HWY 154 near Santa Barbara could provide you with plenty of day trips out of Channel Islands Harbor. Owens Valley for the day would be IMO pretty brutal, but everyone has their own limits. Check Island Packers www.islandpackers.com for your trip to the Channel Islands, they are your only option. They embark from both Channel Islands and Ventura Harbors and offer a great island hiking experience at America's least visited National Park, a must do IMO. Others will chime in i'm sure.

Having been on Santa Cruz, Santa Catalina, and Anacapa Islands I'll put Cruz 1st, Catalina second (but only if you can get to the interior - & preferably from the Ismus and not Avalon), and Anacapa last. Catalina is the biggest and has an incredible array of offerings, but you'll have to brave the Megalopolis of La-La to get there unless you fly out and even then access is limited. If you were to overnight it out there and it's still in business, the B&B at the Ismus is a 20's era cool but funky main building & cottages. Staircase in the big room is built Craftsman style, no metal fasteners. Cruz and Catalina are truly desert islands, bring lots of hydration.

http://www.channel.islands.national-park.com/sanc.htm
On Cruz I would try to hike at Fry's Harbor (go far enough back and you'll feel like you're on an Indiana Jones set), Pelican's Cove, or Willows Anchorage. Not sure what the rules are these days about landings. "Diary of a Sea Captain's Wife", if you can find a copy - they're rare, will fill in a great deal of history about the island.

http://www.channel.islands.national-park.com/anac.htm
There just isn't much hiking on Anacapa, pretty much limited to wondering around the top of the East Island (after climbing ~37,000 stairs) or landing at Frenchy's and hiking thru the Gap to the tide pools - IF they'll still let you do that. Not to belittle the sights that can be seen there, it is a worthwhile stop just not sure that I'd make it my first CINP exposure.

I agree, if you want to enjoy the Owens it needs to be at least a two day trip. Even at that you'll only get the slimmest taste of it. Be sure to stop and make the .3 mi. hike over to Fossil Falls south of Coso Junction.

If any interest in trains look up the Tehachapi Loop. Even if not too interested it is an interesting sight to see a train going in a loop. I managed to be there once when a train was going each direction simultaneously.

Jalama Beach, this time of year it'll likely be pretty windy, but it's a version of the Ca coast that you'll get almost nowhere else. And the drive there is worth the trip.

Going inland on Refugio Rd. and then along W. Camino Cielo to CA-154 (or the reverse) will put you on a shoddy dirt road (and it is a road, not a trail) will offer up some spectacular views of the Coast and the Islands.

If it is going to be a day trip to one of the Channel Islands, I actually prefer Anacapa over the others. It is the shortest boatride leaving more time to explore, and the views are the most scenic. Santa Cruz Island is just too overrun with exotic invasive flora for me to enjoy.
One day to the Owens Valley is not impossible. I've done it looking at properties. I'd say the best sights for a onedayer would be Fossil Falls, a drive through the Alabama Hills and dinner at Seasons in Lone Pine. For me, Tesla Superchargers are going in at Pearsonville, Lone Pine and Bishop so I'll be visiting friends up there more often by end of summer.

If you can prioritize a bit, I'd invest 1, 2 or 3 overnights at Saline Valley Hot Springs and forget all the rest!

View of West Anacapa from East Anacapa Island:

Attachments

• Photo 98 of 124.jpg
    Photo 98 of 124.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 107
Gentlemen,

How very thoughtful of you to provide such specific, detailed suggestions. On behalf of my wife, I thank you.

I think the shortest boat ride to the closest Channel Island to Port Hueneme looks like the best bet for a Channel Islands daytrip, and the Refugio Road/CA 154 looks very intriguing. If our son ends up away from base or just tires of spending evenings with us, perhaps we'd head up Lone Pine way for a night, and then return directly to Burbank the night before our flight home, thereby avoiding a rush hour morning trip to that airport from PH.

I figured I could rely on some CA-based hard-core WTW'ers for some good ideas. Thanks again!

Foy

Foy, if its just a quick sightseeing trip to Lone Pine, I'd suggest visiting the fault scrap, monument, and cemetery on the north edge of town from the 1872 earthquake. Of course make a drive through the Alabama Hills for the history, visuals, and geology. I'd also suggest the drive up to Whitney Portal for the views and a taste of the alpine grandeur of the southern High Sierra. We have heard good things about the Seasons also for dinner, but have not tired it ourselves.

Foy,
Food for thought, if your plans change or an opportunity presents itself that allows you to get away for an overnighter I would be more than happy to loan you some camping gear for a quick getaway, I live less than a mile from where you will be staying. Don't let lack of gear or equipment limit you from any opportunities to explore.

SunMan said:
Foy,
Food for thought, if your plans change or an opportunity presents itself that allows you to get away for an overnighter I would be more than happy to loan you some camping gear for a quick getaway, I live less than a mile from where you will be staying. Don't let lack of gear or equipment limit you from any opportunities to explore.
That's mighty thoughtful of you, SunMan. Given our primary mission of visiting our young Seabee, we'll be oriented towards overnighting at the Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor. As noted, we don't know for sure when he'll be up at Hunter Liggett or Twentynine Palms, but even if he gets sent away from PH while we're there, we'll be more likely to just stay there or snag a motel at an exploration/adventure locale.

You live in a mighty nice place! We really enjoyed the harbor area and Ventura when we visited in late 2007. The LA area, not so much. I guess we're not accustomed to crowds and traffic.

Foy

Just a thought, but you might consider looking to the west side of the southern Sierra, since you are rolling so many miles.
Mineral King is south of Sequoia, and has a dirt road that penetrates within a day hike of the Sierra Crest. It's been a long time since I was there, so someone else may have updated info.

If Owens is the goal, then Alabama Hills are another quick drive through to get some flavor with quick short hikes to stretch the legs. From Bishop on south, the Owens gets very hot during summer, despite nearby mountain and streams. We've taken breaks at the shady creekside parks in Lone Pine or Independence? which were a refuge from the summer heat.

Whitney Portal is also accessed from Lone Pine with a trailhead at 8,000' if the weather is hot, but expect hoards of hikers. There may be limits on day hikers, so check ahead. You can cut off the "mule trail" and head up the climbers trail in the first mile or so, if you don't mind some unimproved steeper trails (maybe the brush is cleared now?)

[Sorry for all the references to heat, but we are getting ready to break some records here in northern California this week :oops: ]

Thanks for even more specific sights and sites, Lighthawk. I'm not too concerned about the heat: 58 years of living in NC and VA, including not having airconditioning at home until age 14, plus several summers cutting survey lines in SC and GA has me pretty well accustomed to it. Besides, it's a DRY heat out your way, and that means it's not uncomfortable, right? :)

Low humidity just means that you don't notice that you're sweating because it evaporates too fast. Which means that, my own personal rule, if I'm not needing to go to the can every hour to two hours then I'm not drinking enough.

ntsqd said:
Low humidity just means that you don't notice that you're sweating because it evaporates too fast. Which means that, my own personal rule, if I'm not needing to go to the can every hour to two hours then I'm not drinking enough.
Yessir, back in the day I did enough field work in Montana that I recognized the need to keep the lunchtime sammich IN the ziplock while eating it so the bread wouldn't get crusty before I could finish it. Our shirts and hats would never get sweaty, just salty. When I was cutting survey line in Georgia in the early 1980s we'd mix up our own Gatorade from powder and each of us would mix 2 gallons a day. Many was the day we'd each finish our 2 gallons and either never or only rarely go to the can (or tree).

I like that weather summary Lighthawk posted. Nearly 9pm and still 87 degrees F. Ah, just like back home.

Foy

In a pleasant piece of news, our Seabee called yesterday to advise he's going to get some liberty before "step-off", so we just booked flights to encompass the projected liberty dates. He'll be restricted to remaining within 100 miles of base, but we'll be pondering where to take him for a long weekend rather than having to hunker down by the base and see him only at night.

He'll probably want to go somewhere with some nightlife, as a single 26 year-old would be so inclined, so we'll be looking for a spot to spend 2-3 nights, likely including the LA Basin or coastal communities near or a short distance down the PCH from it.

Foy

Foy said:
In a pleasant piece of news, our Seabee called yesterday to advise he's going to get some liberty before "step-off", so we just booked flights to encompass the projected liberty dates. He'll be restricted to remaining within 100 miles of base, but we'll be pondering where to take him for a long weekend rather than having to hunker down by the base and see him only at night.

He'll probably want to go somewhere with some nightlife, as a single 26 year-old would be so inclined, so we'll be looking for a spot to spend 2-3 nights, likely including the LA Basin or coastal communities near or a short distance down the PCH from it.

Foy
Go to Santa Barbara so much better than LA. That's where I use to go when stationed at Pt. Mugu.

+1!!!! Los Angeles is a nightmare, Santa Barbara is a dream!!! SB is full of fantastic restaurants and places to visit, things to do. Use Yelp on your phone, wave at us in Ventura as you pass by.

Yes, Santa Barbara seems quite nice. We spent an afternoon strolling the main drag and down at the wharf while visiting our son in 2007. It felt more than a little like "The Clampetts Visit Oprah", as Scots-Irish country folks from eastern North Carolina don't often rub elbows with folks from Santa Barbara. We thought Ventura was nice, too, but we expect our son will be ready for somewhat more of a change of scenery than Port Hueneme vs. Ventura may provide. For that reason, we're speculating that a beach community with a community of "kids" his age (mid-20s) might be just the ticket.

Back
Top Bottom