Deadbolt lock difficult - solutions?

Karlton

Hi all - I'm having difficulty getting the key inserted in the deadbolt lock to my 2017 Hawk. However, after I insert the key, it unlocks just fine. I suspect that dirt has affected the alignment of the tumblers making key insertion difficult. My guess is with all the off road driving folks do, I'm not the only one to experience the issue.

Two questions:
1. What products have you found to be effective at fixing this issue?
2. Any recommendations on prevention? A simple solution will be a piece of duct tape over the lock, but has anyone found a cover of sorts?

Cheers - and happy holidays!

Karl

Mine has frozen a couple of times in the past few days. I think between road spray and run off from the roof, some water is getting in there and freezing up. My quick fix yesterday and this AM was to blow warm air from my mouth into the key opening. Picked up some de-icer this afternoon for future use. My thinking is that the deadbolt is meant for a relatively protected location, and all the road spray, runoff, etc, is more than it was designed for. Has only been a problem the past couple days with overnights in the teens to twenty’s and snow.

Thank you for posting this. We tried using gorilla tape but found the lock frozen when the tape was removed, guess the moisture got through. Was thinking about fashioning some type of removable cover.

I noticed when I tried out the aerosol de-icer today, it shot out the sides and top of the lock assembly where it attaches to the door. Thinking the assembly is not exactly weather tight. Maybe one of the issues with treating these units as four season campers in more northern or mountain regions. I am at 6200 ft in the Sierra. Cold and wet as opposed to just cold.

In looking at the locks on the camper door, they are recessed and have a small metal guard on the lock to prevent debris from entering the mechanism. I think that many of us expose the dead bolt to more moisture and debris than would be recommended for they type of lock.

+3 for graphite. I live in a marine environment and just had this same problem. Was running through all the things I could do, meanwhile my friend grabbed a tube of graphite from his shop and a couple of squeezes into the lock and it was better than new.

Still having issues with this. Sprayed driver in, worked great, but mechanism very stiff. Used graphite spray dry lube in lock, worked great, smooth as silk. Drove about 4.5 hours in heavy rain and snow, next AM lock is frozen up. Had to defrost by blowing into opening. Once key in, it turned and functioned well. I think water is getting in while driving then freezing up. May need to find a more weather worthy deadbolt.

Mthomas said:
Still having issues with this. Sprayed driver in, worked great, but mechanism very stiff. Used graphite spray dry lube in lock, worked great, smooth as silk. Drove about 4.5 hours in heavy rain and snow, next AM lock is frozen up. Had to defrost by blowing into opening. Once key in, it turned and functioned well. I think water is getting in while driving then freezing up. May need to find a more weather worthy deadbolt.
You might try vasoline, frog or gaffers tape to seal the keyhole when it looks like freezing rain.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom