Death Valley Again! - March 2021

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
Julie and I watch the long term weather forecast. It indicated a week of good weather. We are more concerned about the weather here and the possibility of returning to feet of uncleared snow. Yes, the weather also looked good for Death Valley, daytime in the low 60's and overnight in the 40's.

All three of the installments of our adventure are now posted to our blog.

Death Valley Again! - March 2021 - Part One

Death Valley Again! - March 2021 - Part Two

Death Valley Again! - March 2021 - Part Three

We hope you enjoy tagging along. :)

Wow another great beginning of a trip.
What is DStreach? Great way to see the detail.

Must have been a sight you taking care of Julie and the bee sting.

Thanks as usual for taking the time to share your adventures.
Frank

Ain’t nothin’ worser than a bee bit butt.

Great story, great TR. I bet this lives on in the3Pin’s family legend.

Thanks for letting us tag along!

Lovin' that DV geology. It never disappoints this "reformed geologist".

I would imagine there are some signs of prospecting around the hematite in outcrop. The same showing of "colors" which drew indigenous peoples to create their spectacular art likely drew prospectors at a later time.

Nice depiction of the fault scarp! Structural geology one can see is really cool.

Foy

Good to see DV reopened. Time to make a trip. Dstretch is a really cool tool. I may have to look into that!

Great write up! Death Valley isn't kind on equipment so Character 1 should have known better than to go in with worn suspension parts. I hauled a motorcyclist out and over South Pass and dropped him off at Panamint Springs once. The sprockets were so worn out that it was no wonder he lost a chain.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Wow another great beginning of a trip.
What is DStreach? Great way to see the detail.

Must have been a sight you taking care of Julie and the bee sting.

Thanks as usual for taking the time to share your adventures.
Frank

PaulT said:
I found some information on Dstretch here:
http://www.dstretch.com/AlgorithmDescription.html

Interesting.

Sure hope Monte includes some Sodium Bicarbonate and water in the First aid kit to make a thick paste for the Lady's derriere comfort in such dire circumstances in remote regions.

Some could be borrowed from Cowboy Ken's recommended chuckwagon supplies.

Paul
Thanks you two and thanks to Mr. T for supplying info on DStretch. Seems like, with a name like Sodium Bicarbonate, I ought to be able to run down to the salt flats to get some. If the first aid kit was lacking.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Ain’t nothin’ worser than a bee bit butt.

Great story, great TR. I bet this lives on in the3Pin’s family legend.

Thanks for letting us tag along!
I appears I created a lot of buzz about the Lady's bee bit bottom.

Yer most welcome Mr. Sage.

Foy said:
Lovin' that DV geology. It never disappoints this "reformed geologist".

I would imagine there are some signs of prospecting around the hematite in outcrop. The same showing of "colors" which drew indigenous peoples to create their spectacular art likely drew prospectors at a later time.

Nice depiction of the fault scarp! Structural geology one can see is really cool.

Foy
Thanks Foy! Julie and I hope to never disappoint a reformed geologist. Much more in your face geology coming in Part Two. :)

craig333 said:
Good to see DV reopened. Time to make a trip. Dstretch is a really cool tool. I may have to look into that!
Yes it is, Craig. Thanks for the comment. :)

Fishyhead said:
Great write up! Death Valley isn't kind on equipment so Character 1 should have known better than to go in with worn suspension parts. I hauled a motorcyclist out and over South Pass and dropped him off at Panamint Springs once. The sprockets were so worn out that it was no wonder he lost a chain.
The Lady and I were imagining what it would be like banging down wash boarded West Side Road with a wobbly front end. Thanks for the nice comment. :)

Thanks for the latest report.
Our only visit to DV was 15 years ago and remember the walk into Marble Canyon.
Very beautiful area.
We only made it to maybe the first pour over.

The geology you share with nus is great.
Thanks again.
Frank

Another great TR. It always amazes me how you guys take some area that some (not us) would call worthless nothingness, to hot, full of rocks not fit for nothing and turn it into a great story(s) -yep people were here, they lived, worked, had dreams-some died!. The old archaeologist always likes the rock art. Me I use mud (probably not handy there) or Stingez (old BLM standby) for any insect bites. I'm ready now for part 3-please!

Smoke

ski3pin- This TR certainly has more drama (humor?)
[SIZE=large]...where danger was omnipresent. Sidewinders and scorpions are hidden beneath every rock and bush, in every nook and cranny,[/SIZE]
than most of your posts, and is a little more risque too. Behind every rock and bush makes for a lot of sidewinders and scorpions; it's amazing any of those old prospectors and current explorers lived.
To think you get all that fun while I'm stuck painting and plastering in the pantry makes me think life is unfair at times!
Looking forward to your further reports....
dr.tucson
ps I’m sure the young man wrenching on the Ranger could just eyeball the tow-in.

Thanks for your always interesting trip reports. We love Death Valley and will be back there next fall likely. Your descriptions and photos remind us of our many adventures. You have been to many of the same places we have, but amazingly you find much that we had overlooked. There is always something new in the desert! Thanks again.
Tony

ski3pin said:
Part Two is completed. It ends with a bit of Death Valley mystery, I couldn't resist. It can be found here -

Death Valley Again! - March 2021 - Part Two

We hope you enjoy!
We just got home and camped on that same exact spot. You have many of the same pictures too. 2 days ago though, it was cloudy, some rain/sleet and when we left yesterday, there was a lot of snow on the higher peaks!

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Thanks for the latest report.
Our only visit to DV was 15 years ago and remember the walk into Marble Canyon.
Very beautiful area.
We only made it to maybe the first pour over.

The geology you share with nus is great.
Thanks again.
Frank
Thanks Frank! Rocks tell a wonderful tale. :)

Back
Top Bottom