Death Valley - April 2023

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Another wonderful series of trip reports for us to enjoy and travel along vicariously. The Ski3pins are treasures!

Thanks for sharing and letting us tag along!
You are very kind, Mr. Sage. Thank you! :)

thx for the excellent trip reports !!!! i dont even have to file away, as they are stored on your site.
i know about the large servings !!! back in 12/22 we were down in baja, and we dined out a lot - and i noticed that we did not encounter any of the huge portions - that are so unnecessary..
keep it up.
we got in 2 days at the summer lake hotsprings up here in oregon last week. i like to rockhound out on the lakebed, but this year, its still a bit moist out there.
go

Lighthawk said:
I love Ramblers. My family owned several and I bought my first 1964 for $400 in my senior year of high school.
Glad to bring back some memories for you, Andy! My first car was a Studebaker Lark. I do not feel the same about Studebakers as you feel about Ramblers. :)

Rather late to the party this time--I have several excellent excuses should anyone care to hear some. What's that? Crickets? Got it.

The stretched pebble conglomerate is awesome. It's part of the Precambrian metamorphics section exposed in DVNP and the juxtaposition of its outcrops with the infinitely younger and unmetamorphosed "mosaic" angular conglomerates is absolutely spectacular.

I'm seeing Jim Boone's Bird and Hike webpage listing of a "Stretched Pebble Canyon" hike and at first blush it would appear to be within a couple or three miles of the Black Point Canyon hike, likely cutting across the same metamorphic and sedimentary sequence along the same fault separating those particular uplifted mountains from the adjacent downdropped valley.

One of these days, we're getting out to DVNP! Gotta move quickly, not only are we not getting any younger, but California may not be able to sell any diesel fuel for the truck soon!

Thanks for another fine, fine, and totally inspirational TR!

Foy

Foy, thanks for commenting. We always look forward to and enjoy your perspective on the geology. Yes, Black Point Canyon is just west of Stretched Pebble Canyon and is cut through the same formations. Further west is Cairn Canyon with similar exposures of mosaic and stretched pebble. For reference here are Jim Boone's descriptions of

Stretched Pebble Canyon

Black Point Canyon

Cairn Canyon

...along with his description of the geologic processes that formed the rock layers. What I find interesting is that the "stretched pebbles" in Stretched Pebble Canyon are much larger than in Black Point or Cairn. I'll include three photos from Stretched Pebble Canyon. Thanks again, Foy! :)

DVNP-Apr2012-299-copy.webp

DVNP-Apr2012-300-copy.webp

DVNP-Apr2012-301-copy.webp

ski3pin said:
Yes, you read that right. We again returned to Death Valley. It is such a satisfying addiction. The place holds many lifetimes of exploration and discovery. Our story is completed and posted in three parts on our blog and can be found here -

Death Valley - April 2023 - Part One

Death Valley - April 2023 - Part Two

Death Valley - April 2023 - Part Three

We hope you enjoy tagging along! :)
Thanks for the TR. Since I moved to the PNW I realize that the place I miss the most is Death Valley. Your pics of scambling up the chute bring back so many memories.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom