Death Valley - April 2023

Deb sez "YES!" to your comment at the end.

On our drive to Las Vegas we went through Furnace Creek. The whole valley was obscured due to dust and sand in the air. It was pretty gnarly conditions to be outside. This lasted much of the way to Las Vegas.

The rest of our trip went smoothly though, with decent weather most of the time. We managed a new record of 25.7 mpg for one leg in central Nevada. And the scenery was nice too! Thanks for your two reports, it's great to reminisce!!

Great report as usual. We were canceled earlier at Benton due to the flooding. Clueless parent, unaccompanied child, a dogfight...? I applaud your restraint. And the pic of the turtled truck with the empties speaks volumes! I fear that it may get worse in the coming years.

That Black Point Canyon romp was quite incredible, some of geology/nature at its best or most exciting. Nice photos, what a great trip! Thank you.

A big thank you to all you read our blog stories, we appreciate it! Also a big thank you to those who notify me of all the errors I'm prone to making. Hawk-eyed Sagebrush Reconnoiterer found two glaring ones - it is highway 120 west of Benton that was damaged and is closed, not highway 6. And, the flowers out on the Panamint Valley playa are not Panamint Daisies but Hairy Desert Sunflowers. I've made the corrections. :)

ski3pin said:
A big thank you to all you read our blog stories, we appreciate it! Also a big thank you to those who notify me of all the errors I'm prone to making. Hawk-eyed Sagebrush Reconnoiterer found two glaring ones - it is highway 120 west of Benton that was damaged and is closed, not highway 6. And, the flowers out on the Panamint Valley playa are not Panamint Daisies but Hairy Desert Sunflowers. I've made the corrections. :)
Gee, I dunno which nickname I prefer for the Hawk-eyed Sagebrush Reconnoiterer, but Hairy Desert Sunflower does seem to fit well. :rolleyes:

Paul

Looking forward to Parts 2 and 3. Benton has been hit by floods for two years now. The campground looks like it was a mess.

I also thought Hwy 120 was the likely closure, not Hwy 6. I wonder if the dirt route around the east side of Mono Lake is still viable. That's often been a winter work around when 120 is closed.

Another wonderful series of trip reports for us to enjoy and travel along vicariously. The Ski3pins are treasures!

Thanks for sharing and letting us tag along!

Cpt Davenport said:
Y'all are truly inspirational! Thank you.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Thanks Monte for the beginning of another great story.
Once again very nice scenery.
I'll just sip on my espresso and enjoy our terrace while I wait for part 2.
Frank
You are both very kind, thank you!

rubberlegs said:
Deb sez "YES!" to your comment at the end.

On our drive to Las Vegas we went through Furnace Creek. The whole valley was obscured due to dust and sand in the air. It was pretty gnarly conditions to be outside. This lasted much of the way to Las Vegas.

The rest of our trip went smoothly though, with decent weather most of the time. We managed a new record of 25.7 mpg for one leg in central Nevada. And the scenery was nice too! Thanks for your two reports, it's great to reminisce!!
Julie is excited about the big "yes" from Deb! We still have items to check off the list in Trail Canyon. Isn't that always the case? :)

We're glad you two made it safely through the gnarly conditions to Vegas.

25.7 mpg? I must learn to never ever press down on the go petal like you. :)

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
Great report as usual. We were canceled earlier at Benton due to the flooding. Clueless parent, unaccompanied child, a dogfight...? I applaud your restraint. And the pic of the turtled truck with the empties speaks volumes! I fear that it may get worse in the coming years.
Thanks for the kind comment. Julie is always after me to "model good behavior." Not a good idea to be around for my failures.

dr.tucson said:
That Black Point Canyon romp was quite incredible, some of geology/nature at its best or most exciting. Nice photos, what a great trip! Thank you.
Yes, the Black Point Canyon romp was incredible. We both want to head back and do it again! Thanks for the nice comment! :)

Lighthawk said:
Looking forward to Parts 2 and 3. Benton has been hit by floods for two years now. The campground looks like it was a mess.

I also thought Hwy 120 was the likely closure, not Hwy 6. I wonder if the dirt route around the east side of Mono Lake is still viable. That's often been a winter work around when 120 is closed.
Thanks Andy! With 120 closed at Benton, we were curious about the status of Benton Crossing Road over to 395. We did not see any vehicles driving up or down the 120 grade west of Benton.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom