Death Valley easy 4wd Trails and camping

Stormfishing

Advanced Member
I'm looking for an easy 4wd trail where I can get back 10 or 15 miles off the grid and camp out. I have a Chevy Silverado with a Hawk FWC and I don't want to do any heavy 4wdriving, anybody have some ideas.

There are so many options. I'd stop in at the visitor center, get a map. We had a great time on the West side near the sand dunes and other roads that I don't exactly remember where they were. One was not far from the visitor center and one was a up north a bit toward Scotty's. It's the only National Park that I know of that allows you to disperse camp (I think you have to be 1-2 miles off the pavement and on a dirt road).

Given your constraints its easier to list those to stay off of than those to consider.

Goler Wash / Mengel Pass
Lippencott Mine Rd.
Dedekera Cyn / Steele Pass
South Park Cyn Rd
Pleasant Cyn Rd

Those that I'd advise caution on:
Ibex Spring Rd west of Saratoga Springs Rd (rough and paved in baseballs)
Saratoga Springs Rd (sometimes deep sand)
Racetrack Rd. ( world's worst washboard)

This isn't an all-encompassing list, just those to immediately come to mind.

Just wait til you go to DV if you haven't been before.
I'd also suggest getting one night/morning at Panamint Springs Resort. A resort it isn't but a good place to dry camp it is. Fairly quiet at night, close to quite a bit of fun exploring, showers, 10 all you can eat breakfast buffet and good dinner meals and beers.

Here's a great link on many adventures from Tacoma World.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/death-valley-off-road-adventures.60777/

Greetings all

Jeep sponsored a backroads map of DV national park a few years back. It is a good overview...particularly for a first visit.

Ironically, when jeep discontinued their sponsorship support they told the park it could no longer distribute the maps....into the recycle bin I guess.

If you find one of these maps hold onto it.

DavidGraves

Thanks for the reminder. I was thinking of exploring the country north of Crankshaft Junction this week. Other that Sunmans brief trip I haven't read much about it. Just spent an hour figuring out where I hid my death valley maps!

Of course they changed my schedule so not going this week. November is slow, maybe I'll get another chance.

I can't wait to get back to Death Valley! I just wish gas wasn't so expensive around there!
Looking forward to your TR!

ski3pin said:

You may consider -

Death Valley SUV Trails

if you don't already have a copy.
I'll second that - one of my favorite reference books for DV. That and a good map will get you going.

The Visitor Center will give you the obligatory safety speech - they pull a lot of tourists out (some even alive) who take the Hertz minivan places they shouldn't so they err on the side of caution, but they'll let you know what is open. Washouts seem to be the biggest factor so keep an eye on the weather, bring extra water and food, etc.

I believe it is 2 miles off of pavement/ West side road...but there are tons of options and lots of opportunities. We love dispersed camping in DV. Have a great time.

Stormfishing said:
I'm looking for an easy 4wd trail where I can get back 10 or 15 miles off the grid and camp out. I have a Chevy Silverado with a Hawk FWC and I don't want to do any heavy 4wdriving, anybody have some ideas.
I think one of the nicest easy 4x4 routes is Echo Canyon Road.

Info from Jim Boone here -

Echo Canyon Road

There are a couple possible campsites in the broad wash above the Eye of the Needle. The better spots are at the Schwab townsite trailhead, a hundred yards in on the Amargosa Road (do not drive up to the saddle), and the end of the road past the Inyo Mine (no camping at Inyo Mine).

Although not as spectacular as Titus Canyon, it does have fun canyon narrows. The current deep gravel will make you happy to have 4x4 and there is one short bedrock section before entering the canyon to give you a taste of a rougher road. You will see a handful of other vehicles which will give you a sense of a bit of safety.

The SUV trails book mentioned above gives a nice description of the rocks you move through as you move up canyon, so stop often and make it a learning experience.

When are you gong?

Going to bookmark this thread. I hope to go to Death Valley sometime in January. Timing depends on weather.

I would recommend the Cottonwood Canyon/Marble Canyon area. I’ve seen an old VW microbus in there, so if you can match that clearance and are comfortable going slow and picking your route, you should be fine (with a spare tire, of course). There is a stretch of slot canyon which is full of petroglyphs if you are up for a hike, and another stretch with a huge washout “cave” that I like to camp in (although it may not be the safest).

The road out to the Racetrack is washboard hell, but doable. West Side road is fine. Stay out of Goler or any of the canyons heading into the Panamints.

I really love that entire area and so long as you understand your route and don’t get too far out of your comfort zone you’ll be fine.

Have fun!

Oh! And Butte Valley is awesome too. If you time it right you might score one of the cabins. The road in from the park is rocky and slow going but not technical. You will NOT want to attempt this from the west.

Stripped Butte Valley that is. Access via Warm Springs Cyn from the SW corner of DV proper. Between the Mine and the Stripped Butte there is a stretch where the road was paved with softball sized rocks.

Second not venturing further West past the last cabin.

Just got back from Death Valley I want to thank everybody very much for their suggestions. we wound up going to the racetrack it is washboarded out but still an Easy 4 wheel drive Trail. went to Echo Canyon that was kind of rough lot of loose gravel but still beautiful. Cottonwood Canyon/Marble Canyon area super Sandy Trail you can camp 8 Miles from the road. Very cool place to visit. High dirt and rock burms protects the desert Wilderness so people can't drive around on the unscaved desert floor so make sure wherever you go you leave yourself a place where you can turn around if you need to. Oh we also stayed 3 miles past teakettle Junction it's about 6000 ft and the wind was crazy it was probably about 20 degrees, 30 degrees inside my camper.

Glad to hear you had a good trip.
It does get cold in DV. It does get WINDY! If you don't have a heater yet I assume you will soon. The Buddy heaters are pretty good for pop-ups. I have a Finch and it gets very warm very quickly. So much so that even in temps similar to the ones you experienced it gets too hot to run continuously. I usually turn it on at night before bed and again in the morning to take the edge off. Having the right sleeping arrangement is crucial too. Hope to see some photos soon.

Back
Top Bottom