Death Valley Info

Bwht4x4

We're heading to DV in a couple of weeks and I've been there twice before, but it's been a while.

What's the rules/regs on back country camping in our FWC? We'd like to hit all the known spots, but then camp is the back country.

Thanks

We're in DV right now. 2 miles off the roads. Check at the visitor center they have a cool map for you. We've been near Furnace Creek and stayed in echo canyon and hole in the wall. Go about 3 miles up each and they are great spots.

Please do adequate homework regarding Death Valley. There are lots of sites dedicated to the park and so much to see and do it would take many many years to do it all. Enjoy.

Thanks to all for the reply. I've been to the park a few times and tonight I found my Nat Geo topo map. Hopefully we can find some out of the way areas to camp.

We're back from DVNP and it turned out to be a great trip. We opted to hit Badwater for the newbies and then headed due north to check out a few spots. Here are a few picts from the trip.
1238923_10152273365782692_1920885437_n.jpg

IMG_9471.JPG

1969169_10152273365732692_1076164313_n.jpg

IMG_9675.JPG

Sorry if this is silly question. Is it reasonable for one to assume that it is appropriate to tour DV alone? By that I mean if one just stays on the main roads there would be adequate traffic and services to assist with repairs and or emergencies.

Thinking about driving down next spring.

I have traveled DV alone in the past several times. It is always a roll of the dice and is always a better idea to travel with someone else. It also depends how far off the beaten track you plan to go.

Bwht4x4 was with a group from Mammoth. Saw you at Eureka and in Saline the next day. Your group must have come in North Pass to Saline.

Glad the guy with the Landcruiser got his dog back. In Eureka campground dogs are to be kept on a leash. I have to say that his action of letting his dog out of his vehicle at night in unfamiliar territory was more than irresponsible.

We camped at the same site as the group from Mammoth, but we were not traveling with them. We didn't know them at all until we got there. It was only my truck and a Toyota Tundra w/o a FWC in my group. We also never went down into Saline Valley. Must of been someone else. We drove from the dunes straight to Big Pine and then south on the 395.

If main roads you mean paved roads then definitely yes. I did 50-75 miles on main dirt roads without seeing another soul. That was probably an aberration though.

Ah ok. I wanted to check out your FWC but you headed out too soon. Sorry, thought you were with that gaggle. I saw the group at the lower springs. Two vehicles were unique-the all silver FJ and the brown Land Cruiser.

I've traveled the length of West Side Rd. from Warm Springs Cyn Rd to the north gate w/o seeing anyone, twice. And traversed Harry Wade to Saratoga Spring to Ibex and out to 127 w/o seeing anyone until at the pavement. Then again the tracks of the Porsche Cayenne that we encountered coming West just below the mouth of Goler Wash (apparently Porsche's are exempted from uphill has right of way) showed that they had come up from West Side Rd.

So you never know what you'll encounter out there. Safest to plan on not seeing anyone the whole trip.

Back
Top Bottom