Death Valley - Mahogany Flats - Telescope Peak

SLEDAWG

What was I thinking? Heat, fires...Death Valley in June? Telescope Peak and Wildrose Peak have been on my bucket list for some time. I'd read SKI3PIN had camped at Mahogany Flats and hiked in the summer so, what the heck!
Topped out with 114 while crossing Searless Valley on Trona Wildrose Road.
ImageUploadedByWander The West1466997675.643521.jpg
Water is available at Wildrose Campground and the welcoming committee expects donations!
ImageUploadedByWander The West1466997782.028770.jpg
Trailhead for Wildrose Peak is located at the Charcoal Kilns. Hike is 8 miles round trip and tops out at 9kft. Highly recommended.
ImageUploadedByWander The West1466998484.190231.jpg
Road past Charcoal Kilns gets a bit more sporty. Two wheel, high clearance is sufficient.
ImageUploadedByWander The West1466998070.367415.jpg
Mahogany Flats is at 8100ft and a great spot to get off the grid and away from the crowds. It takes some effort to get there which weeds out folks who haven't grasped the concept of being off the grid.
Trailhead for Telescope Peak is located next to Mahogany Flats. Hike to the Peak is 14 miles round trip. Peak is 11kft. Great hike. Hard to believe I was in DVNP.
ImageUploadedByWander The West1466998614.518794.jpg
ImageUploadedByWander The West1466998637.969344.jpg
Great trip! Highly recommended. Mahogany Flat temps should be ok if valley floor is in low 100s.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Excellent adventure! Yes, our trip was several years ago in June. Still hard snow on the way to the summit. Used our ice axes in DVNP.

Well done, Sledawg.

The road was pretty rough when we were there in 2014.

Sounds like you had a great trip! Thanks for sharing! Is the VABM from the summit?

Very cool. No pun intended. I almost went up there week before last but stayed in Owens Valley instead.
What were the day/night temps?

It looked like you managed to find a slice of shade for your campsite. Thanks for the photos and story. I've always just written off D.V. in the summer.

GroovyDad said:
It looked like you managed to find a slice of shade for your campsite. Thanks for the photos and story. I've always just written off D.V. in the summer.
This is one of the few places I might travel to and stay at within DVNP during the summer.

Temps hit 90 late in the day and high 50s at night. Flies were a problem late in the afternoon. "Pit" facility was a "fly generator." Telescope Peak lived up to its name with the night sky.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telescope_Peak
For the 3 geezers in their late 50s the last 1000ft to the summit was "one step, one breath."
Apparently, that isn't challenging enough for some folks.
https://web.archive.org/web/20140227103155/http://iiawt.com/routes/shortys-well-route-telescope-peak/#.VwMo5Ufs_SY
ImageUploadedByWander The West1467032723.799149.jpg
ImageUploadedByWander The West1467032763.885706.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1467032829.513961.jpg
View from the top to Badwater was obscured by smoke.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

I enjoyed your report and photos. Death Valley is a very interesting place. I would like to visit there sometime.

You'll have to take up the geezer rating with Mr. Ski3pin, who is constantly reminding us of his exalted geeeeeezer status. :p
Us'n who are only in our late 50's can't rightfully claim full geezer status, nor qualify for the much desired geezer card.

I can relate to one breath = one step from my high altitude days. :)

Great report / pics.
We did that hike in February and the views were amazing. Still had snow on the ground and saw some mountain lion tracks there...

Yes, Mahogany Flat is a great, cool camp in a hot Death Valley summer. Plus, on a clear day, you can see the highest point and the lowest point in the Lower 48 from there, as you can from the summit of Telescope.

Thanks for the report, Sledawg!

Back
Top Bottom