Death Valley National Park Roads

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
From watching DVNP's

Morning Report

Several major dirt roads are currently being graded - North Death Valley Road (to Eureka Dunes and Big Pine), Racetrack Road, Hunter Mountain, and Titus Canyon

Also, the Park has received rainfall since around Thanksgiving with almost 1.5 inches at Furnace Creek. There may be some wildflowers this Spring.

I just received a newsletter from Anza Borrego, they're predicting a good flower season, too.

On the roads, it's nice that they'll be smoother, but I worry that grading will expose sharp rocks.

just returned from DV, camped on top of Mengel Pass, no grading there.
Stopped at the visitor center in Furnace Creek to finally pick up a pass and met
a very nice archaeologist. Then on to Saline Valley where the road had been graded.
My only gripe with DVNP is the ban on camp fires, pisses me off and makes me wonder
if I should seek forgiveness rather than ask permission.

In the past quite a few old cabins and quite a bit of native vegetation has disappeared one stick at a time for campfire fuel. Not to mention the black ash left behind at popular back country spots.

However, if you bring your own fire wood and your own portable fire container or barbecue Park Management seems to give you permission to use it so long as you haul out your ashes. "Persons desiring to use portable grills do not compromise park management concerns when procedures for disposal of ashes/coals are followed."

You can look at the rules and regulations, including the ones for campfires, here: http://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/management/rules-and-regulations.htm#campfires

DT,

Did you go over North Pass and toward Eureka? If so how were the roads?

Basin Deranged said:
In the past quite a few old cabins and quite a bit of native vegetation has disappeared one stick at a time for campfire fuel. Not to mention the black ash left behind at popular back country spots.

However, if you bring your own fire wood and your own portable fire container or barbecue Park Management seems to give you permission to use it so long as you haul out your ashes. "Persons desiring to use portable grills do not compromise park management concerns when procedures for disposal of ashes/coals are followed."

You can look at the rules and regulations, including the ones for campfires, here: http://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/management/rules-and-regulations.htm#campfires
Basin Deranged, thanks for the informative post!

Just got back from Death Valley. The road were in great shape but I sill managed to mangle a rim. Luckly the tire is ok and a new rim was only $22.50 at a junk yard.

In late March we went through the Green Valley Road, Dante's View, and to Furnace Creek, Great wild flowers. Too hot (record heat, we saw 110 F on truck dashboard thermometer) and ran out of time for anything else, must go back....

Bill

Desert Tortoise said:
just returned from DV, camped on top of Mengel Pass, no grading there.
Stopped at the visitor center in Furnace Creek to finally pick up a pass and met
a very nice archaeologist. Then on to Saline Valley where the road had been graded.
My only gripe with DVNP is the ban on camp fires, pisses me off and makes me wonder
if I should seek forgiveness rather than ask permission.
Does DVNP's fire ban extend to propane campfires? I know, propane campfires are sacrilegious to a lot of folks, but with this drought, they may be the wave of the future.

from Backcountry Camping -

Campfires are prohibited, except in fire pits in developed campgrounds. Gathering wood is unlawful and burning of wood is not allowed in the backcountry. Campstoves and barbeque grills are allowed. Charcoal ashes must be packed out.

I would think a propane campfire is similar to a campstove

I have been told by good authority that in some places the very ground in DV is combustible! That may be part of what is behind the no campfires rule.

Back
Top Bottom