Death Valley Quickie

SunMan

King Taco
I had to make a run to Pahrump, NV. to visit some family. Being a mere 60-70 miles from DV proper I built some time for an overnighter in Death Valley. Thought I'd take advantage of my proximity and see something new so I cruised through the Ash Meadows National Wildlife Refuge to Devils Hole (home of the world's population of Devils Hole pupfish!) which is actually a detached unit of Death Valley National Park and located quite some distance outside of the park.

Attachments

• dh1.JPG
    dh1.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 167
  • dh2.JPG
    dh2.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 179
  • dh3.JPG
    dh3.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 184
  • dh4.JPG
    dh4.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 175
Looking at my map trying to figure where to head to next I couldn't help but notice the road i was already on was the backway into Crystal, NV...well, I just had to go. Some pics attached of what Crystal is famous for. Some of the signs were fairly amusing. Had to stop for a refreshment to cool off, very nice folks at the Short Branch Saloon.

And no, I did not partake in any shenanigans out there!

Attachments

• crys1.JPG
    crys1.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 180
  • crys3.JPG
    crys3.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 192
  • crys4.JPG
    crys4.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 207
  • crys5.JPG
    crys5.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 215
On to more interesting destinations...heading to my planned camp spot I passed the turn off to Dante's View, it had been years for me and I had plenty of daylight so I doubled back. Glad I did, it was beautiful day to be up there and the view can't be beat. Also I was able to cool off a little as the temps dropped from 89 to 74 degrees on top. I took a zoom shot of Badwater from the top and you could actually see the people down there, pretty cool.

Attachments

• dant1.JPG
    dant1.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 148
  • dant2.JPG
    dant2.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 157
  • dant3.JPG
    dant3.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 165
  • dant4.JPG
    dant4.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 153
After lunch up on Dante's View I headed back down towards Echo Canyon, a new destination for me. At the end of the road (about 11 miles) is the Inyo Mine and ghostown where I hoped to camp. Also a geological highlight of the road is the Eye of the Needle...

Attachments

• echo1.JPG
    echo1.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 164
  • echo2.JPG
    echo2.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 175
  • echo3.JPG
    echo3.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 191
  • echo4.JPG
    echo4.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 164
Being relatively close to Furnace Creek I was concerned I might not be alone out there. I passed two Jeeps on the way in and fortunately didn't see another soul until heading out the following day. The Inyo Mine:

Attachments

• inyo1.JPG
    inyo1.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 153
  • inyo2.JPG
    inyo2.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 147
  • inyo3.JPG
    inyo3.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 144
Some Eye Candy for DD:

Attachments

• eye1.JPG
    eye1.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 132
  • eye2.JPG
    eye2.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 136
  • eye3.JPG
    eye3.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 133
  • eye4.JPG
    eye4.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 125
On the way home on HWY 14 I could see the Poppy Reserve going OFF!! I doubled back and took the long way home...glad I did...perfect way to cap off the trip! I recommend a drive out there real soon if you live close enough, it's really something to see. You can literally drive for miles and miles through the fields. These pics in no way do it justice.

Attachments

• pop1.JPG
    pop1.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 170
  • pop2.JPG
    pop2.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 175
  • pop3.JPG
    pop3.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 178
  • pop4.JPG
    pop4.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 165
Sunman, another great trip report as usual. What kills me, besides the fact that you are getting three trips in to my one, is that in each trip report you post, there are several potential photos for next year's TCM calendar. I am so envious.

Man, you're killing me. Sitting here with half a tank of fuel and no money wondering what i can sell :)

Thanks for the kind comments guys. Every trip to Death Valley makes me realize more and more that I've only just scratched the surface.

Loves me a quickie and love Death Valley... The only thing wrong with DV, is that it isn't closer to WY... :(

Great shots, those poppy's are spectacular!

Another great DV report Suni! I tell ya - all these DV reports make me wish I lived closer to the desert most of the year.

Back
Top Bottom