Decent camera for us non camera guys

craig333

Riley's Human
Okay, cell phone camera is okay for local shots, totally inadequate for range, parnorama type shots. So, I don't want another hobby, don't want to read manuals. And most importantly, the budget for such is small. Can i get an easy to use, takes decent range shots, camera that won't break the budget?

I've been super happy with my Panasonic Lumix camera. Fits in a pocket, 16X zoom, image stabilization and most important- takes great point and shoot photos.

Mr. Non-Technical

Almost any of the "point 'n shoot" digital cameras will do OK, are easy to carry, to learn to use and the ones I get are about $100 and last 3-4 years ($25 cost per year).

The one thing I like the most is the ability to use regular rechargable AA batteries.

Those batteries are used in almost all of my electronic devices, so I've got battery compatability.

Unfortunately, it's getting harder and harder to find the "point 'n shoot" digital cameras that use the "AA" batteries. Most have the more expensive "dedicated" (only to this camera) rechargeable batteries.

Yeh, I agree with that. For years at work I had to carry one of the good expensive types to record ark sites and/or one with a telephoto attachment for Law Enforcement work, but when I retired, a friend turned me on to the digital Kodak Easy Share 3.1 with a 3X zoom. It's small and light-Just point and aim, I think it cost me around $125-something like that, but they are cheap, work well and if you can figure out how to down load into this web site (thanks MarkBC) they do the trick-just watch how many photos you take and check the battery (i use the $ ones-lasts longer) every so often! You can get a starter kit with it so you can attempt to do the neat stuff too!

Smoke:rolleyes:

I looked for a point-and-shoot that used AA batteries as well. I wound up getting the el cheapo Canon PowerShot A800. I won't despair when I accidentally drop it off a cliff, and it is good for recording a moment, but I doubt I'll be creating Great Art with it.

The camera is still using the same Li-ion batteries since springtime, after at least 300 images and a few short movies. I replace the batteries in my SPOT (I have the old one that uses AA batteries) every spring, then put the used ones in the camera.

There are not many inovations on point and shoot cameras.....so look for a discontinued model and save some money. This years model probably isn't much better but the price will certainly be higher.

IMO.We have two cameras I carry both with us each has taken on a different use,both Nikons,both point and shoot.For many trips we used the Nikon coolpix L1 6.2 mp,5x optic zoom uses AA batteries.Takes great pictures fits in palm of hand or pocket.About the size of a pack of cigs.The cons were it has no viewfinder,which most point and shoot cameras don't have.This was the only drawback,just using the screen made it hard to locate subjects,especially for my wife.After one of our Alaskan trips she finally had it,"we need a better camera that I can use".I got her a Nikon P90,24x optic zoom 12 something mp,a large screen plus a viewfinder.The body is about the size of the 35mm digital slr's,so it's a little bigger to carry around but with the wrist strap used it fits nicely in my hand.When out hiking I sometimes use a light weight neck strap,the kind you see people use for ID cards.It has a dedicated battery,but I have two so one always has a charge and the recharge time is fast.
Over the three years or so that we have had it I have had no problems and the camera takes great pictures it also has lots of features but I don't use them much.The zoom is great I tend to use it as a spotting scope to find animals.The 24x zoom is equal to a 600mm lens.Light weight and easy to use,my two best things from a camera.
Back in my history I would carry a film 35mm slr with all kinds of lenses,now it's about mobility.I think the digital 35's are nice but more than I want.
A camera choice is ,what do you want if for,how will it be used and it's cost.There are a lot of good brands out there.Go to a camera shop and browse and ask questions,get the feel for the equipment,how it feels for you and will it meet your needs.
Good luck.Frank

Back
Top Bottom