Diagnosing propane leak (in fridge?)

PeterV

Advanced Member
I searched the forum for past discussions but didn't find much.

When I have the fridge on propane there seem to be a fairly strong propane smell outside of the camper (maybe slightly inside too, but the propane detector does not go off). Normally I never have the fridge on at night but the furnace/stove can be used extensively (we camped in below freezing several times recently), and there is no propane smell/evidence of leak. It has only happened during the day (leave the truck sitting somewhere for 8-10 hours, come back and it stinks like propane when you get near the truck. The pilot light is still on, all appears normal...).

Is there a common failure point that is specific to the fridge connectors that I could check out?

Actually there was one time that the propane detector went off - it was while driving on a very rough dirt road, after a few miles I could hear the propane detector. Stopping/airing things out it didn't happen again. That time, the fridge was on electric mode... so maybe the fridge isn't the only problem.

In general, what's the best way to diagnose this? It's obviously pretty scary. The tank is not full, so it's not related to overfilling it/pressure changes...

I'm becoming a scaredy-cat when it comes to propane, so I'd probably just take it to somebody else. But if you wanted to try something yourself, maybe check all the connections for leaks with Detect-a-Leak or some soapy water? That might help you narrow down whether it's inside of an appliance or in the connections.

When we had our three-way fridge it was common to get a propane smell while it was running. I was convinced it was the exhaust of the burned propane but wife wasn't convinced and it always concerned her. I wonder if there is a way to tell if it is propane leaking or just exhaust?

When we had our three-way fridge it was common to get a propane smell while it was running. I was convinced it was the exhaust of the burned propane but wife wasn't convinced and it always concerned her. I wonder if there is a way to tell if it is propane leaking or just exhaust?

Barking Spider had a smell along with his CO alarm going off. We cleaned the burner orifices in the fridge and it runs fine. It is good to be on top of keeping the burner clean as has been covered in posts here on WTW.

If you are smelling propane, be vigilant in finding if there is a leak. We occasionally will have a very minor smell around the propane tank storage door. That usually sends me looking for leaks in all my supply lines and connections. Thus far no leaks.

I don't think it's the orifices/burner being unhealthy, the fridge is pretty new (I think it was replaced under warranty a year or two ago) and the flame looks really solid/blue (unlike in those photos where the deposits cause it to deform, etc.)

Maybe it is just the "exhaust"/smell of burnt propane...? It's hard to say but the smell is fairly strong and not like how the stove smells for instance. Has anyone used something like this successfully?

I'm happy to try & check for leaks with soapy water too but getting to the connectors might require disassembling the fridge? I'd take it somewhere else but not sure where (apart from the factory which is 2 hours away). RV repair places I suppose?

Thanks everyone for the thoughts/suggestions so far!

You could try where you get the propane tank filled some of these places will do that. Ask first so you know what they charge for this service

Our local propane supplier has a “sniffer” that can locate leaks and didn’t charge me for the service a few years ago. Vigilant is a good word to describe what needs to be done with your odor till it is clearly identified.

You could try where you get the propane tank filled some of these places will do that. Ask first so you know what they charge for this service

Back
Top Bottom