Diesel and FWC

chnlisle

Post Master
Hey guys one of you posted a thread to a Ford diesel with a FWC for sale yesterday. I've been looking for the thread and cant find it. Help!!!! A friedn of mine is interested.

7.3 liter is bombproof

If that truck is in good shape then it's a good deal. It's a low mileage diesel and the 7.3 liter was fords best diesel on record it should go 250k easy! Keep us posted if your friend goes through with it. I wish I had the cash for that rig :mad:

Thanks Mark.

I'll tell you what guys if I didn't have the Dodge and camper already this would be mine. This thing is NICE!!!! When They stopped making that engine they went in to the toilet. The thing is bullet proof. I'll let you know if my buddy gets it.

I agree with who ever said they could sell the camper for 9 grand. If he puts it up for 8 grand it would be gone in a couple of days.

Jay, I read your post about your CTD with rapt attention.

I have a F150 4x4 4.6L and 190k miles that gets a sickening 11.5 mpg on the flat roads of Harris County, TX.

One day, the trigger will have to get pulled, but I am sighting in already.

make me feel better have 89 f250 4x4 that gets 11 mpg but got close to 300000 miles on the truck with a 7.5 or 460 cid

Ben & Mark,
The good news is that engine will run forever. The bad news is that engine will run forever.

The CTD is almost the same cid as the V8 and about the same HP. More HP than I'll ever use. It is quite powerful and the I6 gives it tons of torque which I do use. I know guys put lots of stuff on them (Banks kits and cat backs) to increase the HP. it's a mystery to me why. The thing really does go fast as it is from the factory. A friend chipped his and he claims it added an additional 85 HP. It seems to me its just another reason to get a ticket. Now if someone could come up with a chip to give it 35 MPG I'd be the first in line.

But as I said before this really is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I drove up to Sky Harbor yesterday in Phoenix. I held it at 65 MPH (about 1750 RPM) and pissed everybody behind me off but I got almost 25 MPG.

Mark, check out "Turbo Diesel Registry" (TDR) for more information on the Dodge CTD. I've been lurking there since before I bought my CTD. The general consensus on the best years is 2004.5 to 2007 with the 5.9L. This is based on my opinion and not supported by any facts I can quote. Keeping in mind the people on that forum are looking for help with problems, what I've seen is a common tread going through the problems. Many of the folks have added mods to their engines and they seem to have more problems then the stock engine folks.

Jay is right. I don't use all the power I have now, why spend money for more? I personally would stay away from a used truck with engine modifications, after all the manufactures have some pretty smart people working for them. If they thought they could increase power and torque with just a "chip" why wouldn't they? There is a trade off.

Like Rich and Jay I think the Ford 7.3 is an excellent engine. The 2005 and 2006 6.0 Fords are pretty much debugged so they would be a good choice to. Same with the GM Duramax. A Dodge Cummins engine with a GM Allison in a F250. Oh baby, oh baby come to poppa!

Cheers,

Mike

2009 F150's will be available with a diesel engine. I'm interested to see what they choose. I'm hoping someone does something similar to the Mercedes turbo diesels that the Sprinter vans are using - 28 mpg. After all we are into light campers - why not maximize our fuel efficiency while we are at it?

Chevy plans a 4.7L diesel for 2010

Chevy is also working on a small diesel, IIRC it's a 4.7L and is intended for their 1/2 ton trucks, vans and some cars starting around 2010-2011. It looks like Ford is ahead of Chevy.

Their goes the price of diesel!

Their goes the price of diesel!

If it gets much higher the local biodiesel coops might start some competition. Might work out fine.

Hi guys ... This is a little off topic but since I'm a Ford guy I thought I'd chime in. First off, Jay your killing me with the mileage your getting. I get 16mpg on the Hwy with camper fully loaded and am preatty happy. 1750-1800 RPM and 10lbs. of boost pressure seems to be my sweet spot. The CTD is a great power plant, still I have been quite happy with my 07 PSD. These new Diesles have lots of power and torque ,and like you said why anyone thinks they need more power is beyond me. My previous rig was a 97 F250 with the 7.3 PSD and it too was good motor but I have to say that the 6.0 has alot more power. I think we all agree that someone should jump on that pkg. Oh by the way when I sold the F250 it had almost 300,000 on it and was still going strong.

Cheers, marc

Mark and guys,
the info I'm getting from the CTD site is that the Ram 1500 will not have a Mercedes in it. Apparently Chrys. Corp. has already signed a contract with Cummins to supply the engines. Go figure. Of course Mercedes dosen't own them anymore.

I can only assume that Isuzu will still supply the Chevy half ton and International the Ford but I dont know.

Marc, It's good to hear your happy with the new Ford. It must be a huge improvemnt over the problematic '02 thru '06 engines. I know some did not have a bit of trouble with them but I have 2 friends that had nothing but and ended up suing Ford and winning.

I agree that my CTD has plenty of power stock. But I also understand the "more power" mindset too. The cummins as I understand it, is easily capable of generating "more power" but it was a question of cost, emissions, and not wanting to overpower the rest of the drivetrain that led them to leave it as it is. Mine was deliberately detuned (for ca emissions I believe) and the next year was bumped back up. I can get it back up with just a programmer without even violating the warranty. If I had the $350+ I'd go do that. Its not till you really get carried away (over 400hp) that you're going to do anything to harm the reliability.

manufactures have some pretty smart people working for them. If they thought they could increase power and torque with just a "chip" why wouldn't they? There is a trade off.

Mike

The manufacturers do have smart people working for them and I leave all my "stuff" stock because I subscribe to the theory that the manufacturer knows better than the aftermarket (most of the time) but I did read an article a while back that said that car manufacturers design a powerplant and then through the computer programing do not allow the max power that they designed the engine for. Reason being, (as we have all seen) a manufacturer will introduce a new engine design and then in subsequent model years will make very few changes to the vehicle besides slight cosmetics, but somehow they increase power output a little each year with no mechanical changes. They simply change the programing in the cars computer to offer a little more of what they did not give you in the first place. This way they don't have to spend a ton of money changing a vehicle every year but they can still get people to buy the new model.

My point is there probably is some extra power you can get by doing an aftermarket chip and still keep reliability as originally intended by the manufacturer, but as you guys mentioned who needs more with any of the diesels.

Love my F250 SD

I've been lurking for a while, but wanted to contribute my two cents worth to this. I drive my truck as my daily drive - I am resisting getting a small sedan until I get the truck paid off. Anyway, it's a 1999 F250 SD 7.3 diesel with 45,000 miles. I get 16-17 around town and 15 when towing on the highway. Plus my auto insurance is only $48 per month, and that includes my horse trailer insurance as well. I like to look at the overall cost of owning and the auto insurance is a big factor. It ain't no sports car, that's for sure!

HorseHaulinMama
Wanna-Be Keystone Owner

I can only assume that Isuzu will still supply the Chevy half ton and International the Ford but I dont know.

GM is building their own on the 1/2 ton.

Back
Top Bottom