Difficult Getting Up and Down From "Upstairs" Bed

spudder

I just returned from the maiden voyage of my Granby. Went to the Portland, Indiana tractor/engine swap meet. Had a great time and the camper passed all the tests with flying colors.
The only real problem I had was trying to get up into the "upstairs" bed and out again. I think I need to come up with some sort of ladder arrangement for the top bunk.
I'm sure others have had a similar situation trying to access the "upstairs". How have you solved this problem?
It's no sin to be an old fart, just unhandy!
Thanks, Tim

Early in my ATC Bobcat experience I made this ladder.

img_143672_0_a08ad593516138adec6d237b137ab490.jpg

Almost an extra support for the pull out bed slider, even though it doesn't need it.
Friction against the carpet on the floor (notice large flat bottom piece just for that function) and a very slight downward pressure from the pull out bed slider section kept it in place.

img_143672_2_a8932fea5df5eaebf3ee1b9312ec2554.jpg

And the place it was stowed when not in use.
img_143672_4_2f1156e2f6d96210dc6adaef81660580.jpg

I found it easy to get up and down, however, I'd ascend and descend ship ladders all the time in the past. The wife unit had some difficulty, as she doesn't like to ascend and descend much of anything. She also didn't like the spacing of the steps on the ladder, and it was a little strange for me as well. I should have probably done a little research on the proper distance between steps (there has to be data out there somewhere on the internet). So, I gave it away to another forum member a long time ago.

Tim,

I asked the same question until my wife pointed out that if we remove the side dinette table and make it into a bed [fold seat back of rear seat forward] we have an easy step-up or down [also a wide/long one that his hard to miss in the dark!] in or out of the bed. Not certain if front dinette offers this optional "step".

Phil

Tuck and roll :)

I'm surprised there aren't more threads on this.

I would suggest giving it a bit of time, you will likely develop a method that works for you.

I am serious though about using a roll technique. Basically, its pretty easy to get your upper body onto the bed. Once there, roll your lower body and legs in. Do just the opposite when getting out.

I'm not sure how the front of your camper is arranged, so that may dictate your options.

Perhaps you can post a pic, or describe your setup.

Front dinette. We stand on the seat and raise one knee up and crawl on into bed and slide off on our stomach until our feet hit the seat. Works for both of us. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

longhorn1 said:
Front dinette. We stand on the seat and raise one knee up and crawl on into bed and slide off on our stomach until our feet hit the seat. Works for both of us. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app
Side dinette,but front seat works as a step.No problem just go slow at night so you don't get hurt.That could put a crimp on the trip.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom