Dinette seat height and top-down camper use.

HIKEMT

Advanced Member
How many of you sit or eat inside your camper with the top down? I'm finalizing interior dimensions for my build-out and my proposed design uses a dinette seat height that will prevent sitting upright or eating inside with the top down.

I don't expect a ton of "stealth" camping but we do pull over to eat, check maps, etc, while we're on the road. In my current arrangement this is done in the cab or on the tailgate. With the camper installed, will I regret not having enough head room to eat at the dinette without popping the top?

We sat in our FWC with the top down. Actually, we sort of hunched over --- wouldn't want to do it much longer than it takes to gobble lunch. Our current camper IS high enough to sit in with the lid down. Way better. Road side stops are a snap.

We can sit in our Hawk on the bench, or even take a nap with the bench made into a bed while in stealth mode. However, the sink is almost unusable and we do have to hunch over instead of standing. If I had to design from scratch, I think I would lower the sink counter. And have lights that weren't touching the folded fabric top, so I could have a light on if I wanted it. :cool:

My camper has the dinette option and the seat height is the same height as the highest sides.....so that when the lower bed is used.....it is 9 inches wider. If you make the seats too short....you won't have much of a lower bed.

I'm actually in mine a fair amount with the top down, mainly while solo though. Basically if I'm not stopped for the night or don't need to cook I'll usually leave the top down. So all the breaks, a nap during the day, ducking out of the weather, etc. I leave the top down (esp. if the weather sucks, no sense getting the side liner wet and then folding it up again if I don't need to). When I'm strictly traveling to places and not actually wandering yet I've crashed in rest stops numerous times to sleep and prefer to have the top down (less attention). Also in cold weather if you're in there to stay warm it does a MUCH better job holding heat with the top down.

So in my mind/build I'll give it strong consideration but its still not mandatory if it screws over something else I really want.

Taking a nap is the only thing I use mine for with the top down. Not to say that couldn't change in the future.

How many of you sit or eat inside your camper with the top down? I'm finalizing interior dimensions for my build-out and my proposed design uses a dinette seat height that will prevent sitting upright or eating inside with the top down.

I don't expect a ton of "stealth" camping but we do pull over to eat, check maps, etc, while we're on the road. In my current arrangement this is done in the cab or on the tailgate. With the camper installed, will I regret not having enough head room to eat at the dinette without popping the top?

I have a ATC bobcat with dinette .We eat outside when ever possible,but we enjoy the dinette arrangement. In down mode head room 48"floor to top ,floor to counter top 37", cushion to top 30".For a short stop sitting to eat a bite doesn't seem to be a problem for us.If you wanted more space at a quick stop you could half pop the top.As far as lights being used with the top down get LEDs no heat,little power usage,and brighter light.This is of course my opinion and how I use my rig. Others of course do different things.Just some thoughts. I'll say one of the many things that led me to but an ACT over a FWC was the height of the counter top,it's funny how just a few more inches in height seem uncomfortable but thats what struck me about the FWC models.

Good luck in your search.

Frank

How tall are you HikeMT? I think this is the main determining factor of using the camper with the top down.

I am 6'4" and have little room to move in a FWC with the top down. If you are in the 5' foot range that would make a big difference.

Well, I use the camper with top down a lot. Usually when on the road and stopping for lunch, a nap, a rest, to read maps, or just to hang out. I have a shell and a desk system that is set up so I can cook with the top down. I can put the couch into a bed for a comfy rest. Like others have said, if I am by myself and the weather is bad or I am in a rush, I often don't even put the top up. Sometime if I am in the city, like at a friends house, I will keep the top down and windows covered and just sleep on the street or in a driveway. If I am not by myself, it is really compact and tight....not so good.

In my situation and with the way I use the camper, I would say losing this functionality (top down amenities) would be a real loss. If fact, I never thought I would have said this when I first got it, but I really do like having this option.

You might find otherwise, but that is what is so cool with these campers....Set it up the way you wish.

Good luck

Dave in Seattle

Thanks for all your helpful input. My truck bed has 22” side rails, which means 24” tall interior “ledges” in the ocelot. My planned dinette is front end, side-to-side, which means min. 24” tall dinette seats for the lower bed to expand fully which is pretty much mandatory. A 54” top-down roof height gives 30” to lie down, up to 34” to sit at the dinette with the cushion removed. 30” is pretty cramped for me to sit up but 34” seems more manageable. I don't know yet whether a custom roof height is available but your comments suggest it wouldn't hurt to check.

Back
Top Bottom