Dispersed Camping in Anza Borrego SP

ethernectar

Thinking about getting out of town for a quick overnighter this weekend. Is there dispersed camping in Anza?

No problem... I moved it for you.

The answer is yes. There is dispersed camping in the park, and also (last time I was there in 2014) in Galleta Meadows, the Dennis Avery estate. The Ricardo Breceda sculptures there are great!

I like the Blair Valley area.

Yep, lots of possibilities. If you plan on having a ground campfire out there in the sticks you'll want to bring along a standard metal trashcan lid to use as a base for your fire, it's required. TrueValue hardware store in Borrego Springs also has these lids for individual sale. If you identify a desirable campspot you'll need to park your rig just off the designated roadway, and set up your camp within X distance of that. Download a A-B map and the latest list of dispersed camping regs and you'll be able to come up with many diverse camp scenarios. It's a great place for offgrid camping for sure, and we've done it frequently.
Rico

Some really great places off the S2/78 highways. Very fun to go 10 or so miles off the highway and see the diversity in the land. Also a stop to Auga Caliente Hot Springs on the way home leaves you feeling great for your drive.

Ether - There are countless places for dispersed camping in A-B. It is one of the few places that still encourage that type of activity and you can camp almost anywhere as long as you: 1. Are at least 100 feet away from water 2. Bring a metal container to hold your fire 3. Do not obstruct traffic if you are camping near a road/trail (as in Coyote Cyn,) 4. Do not trample wildlife or drive over geologic formations 5. Keep camp clean and take your trash home with you. It is starting to heat up down there, so you should probably go sooner rather than later. In warmer weather, consider camping at higher elevations such as the Pinyon Mountain area. Living in Orange County, you are quite close to A-B. I'm sure once you go there, you will return time and time again. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Anza Camp 1.jpg
    Anza Camp 1.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 104

Back
Top Bottom