DIY Lithium battery upgrade

I feel like Toyota alternators are known for their low output voltage, I know mine is the same. This does mean there won't be an issue with the lithium battery taxing your alternator though.

We have a 2011 4WD Finch, purchased used in 2017, with an 80 AH AGM battery, Renogy 150W solar panel, Trimetric TM 2030 battery monitor and SC 2030 solar charge controller I installed later that year. Before I understood how much the 3-way fridge draws in 12V mode and how little charge I get from the 2009 Tacoma alternator (basically none when the fridge is on 12V), I managed to completely discharge the new battery. After installing the solar panel, battery monitor, and solar charger, things worked much better, but I had a couple more glitches like a broken solar charger terminal connector where I inadvertently drew the battery down below 50%. The last couple times we used the camper, we ran out of juice with the monitor still showing over 80%, so I'm guessing the battery may be toast. I have kept it on the Iota controller float charge over the winter in the garage, though, and we're headed over to eastern WA for a few days, so I'll reset the TM 2030 and give it another try.

Anyway, I think I'll probably replace the battery with a Battleborn BB10012 lithium, since that's what folks are recommending and it looks like it will fit in the Finch battery compartment. From the previous postings on this topic, it sounds like I can basically just drop the new battery in, connect everything up again, re-set the TM2030 and SC2030 parameters for the BB10012, and be "good to go". In the long run, I'll be looking into getting a smart alternator for the truck and putting a 12V/12V charger in the camper so I'm not totally dependent on the solar panel for charging.

Any feedback on the above would be most welcome!

John

No need to change the alternator. Just put in the DC-DC (I use a Victron because it auto-detects the engine running) and make sure your truck to camper wiring is at least 6g or more.

I just (today!) spent ~$500 on two new AGM batteries for my 2012 Hawk. The guy at the RV repair shop said that because there is no ventilation in the battery compartment, I'd have to go with AGMs. He didn't even mention lithium batteries.

I don't really understand how the power works in my rig at all. But I just started a 6 - 12 month Nomad stint, and I really hope I can run my Dometic CR110 fridge without killing the camper batteries. I do have a solar panel on the roof, and I will probably mostly be in the sunny Southwest, so hopefully I will be OK???

Durango2, have you got a good battery monitor? I like the Victron BMV 712. A good battery monitor is essential, and takes the "hope" out of being OK, vs "knowing" you will be OK.

I'm sure Vic will have an answer for this question, not hijacking the thread and somewhat on the same topic as the thread and really I should just call overland on this question but the question is does the four wheel camper mppt overland controller have the parameters to work with a single lithium? It looks like a rebranded victron as well, which I remember Vic or someone taking about that on another thread,(I've attached photo). I'm assuming I'll just swap out the single AGM that came with my 20 swift model, throw in the lithium and have to make adjustments on the monitor? Thanks for any and all input.

Attachments

• overlandsolarmpptchargecontroller_1200x1200.jpg
    overlandsolarmpptchargecontroller_1200x1200.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 83
Vic Harder said:
Durango2, have you got a good battery monitor? I like the Victron BMV 712. A good battery monitor is essential, and takes the "hope" out of being OK, vs "knowing" you will be OK.
Thanks for the response and the question, Vic. I have seen you mention that battery monitor elsewhere. At some point today, I will take a picture of my battery set up and post it here.

Last night, I turned my camper power off, because we are having a (unusual for this area--but very welcome) cloudy/rainy spell and I already started worrying about running the fridge! Ugh.

Vic Harder said:
Durango2 said:
Thanks for the response and the question, Vic. I have seen you mention that battery monitor elsewhere. At some point today, I will take a picture of my battery set up and post it here.

Last night, I turned my camper power off, because we are having a (unusual for this area--but very welcome) cloudy/rainy spell and I already started worrying about running the fridge! Ugh.
Truthfully, I'm not exactly sure what I have. But the system has been working well enough for occasional uses of my camper during the past 7 years. As I mentioned above, I did just get the AGMs replaced, as the guy at the shop said my old ones were borderline. And I do have a solar panel mounted to the roof. I forget the wattage of it--I want to say 140 or 160? And I am using the original IOTA unit that came with the camper.

I will try to attach a couple of photos of my battery setup.

Any feedback is welcome! Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_9859.jpg
    IMG_9859.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_9857.jpg
    IMG_9857.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 122
Holmes said:
I'm sure Vic will have an answer for this question, not hijacking the thread and somewhat on the same topic as the thread and really I should just call overland on this question but the question is does the four wheel camper mppt overland controller have the parameters to work with a single lithium? It looks like a rebranded victron as well, which I remember Vic or someone taking about that on another thread,(I've attached photo). I'm assuming I'll just swap out the single AGM that came with my 20 swift model, throw in the lithium and have to make adjustments on the monitor? Thanks for any and all input.
Do you have access to a manual for the controller/monitor? They DO look like the Victron gear, and if similar enough, you should be able to change the settings easily for your new battery.

Durango2 said:
Truthfully, I'm not exactly sure what I have. But the system has been working well enough for occasional uses of my camper during the past 7 years. As I mentioned above, I did just get the AGMs replaced, as the guy at the shop said my old ones were borderline. And I do have a solar panel mounted to the roof. I forget the wattage of it--I want to say 140 or 160? And I am using the original IOTA unit that came with the camper.

I will try to attach a couple of photos of my battery setup.

Any feedback is welcome! Thank you.
Ugh, that Surepower 1314A separator is potentially a problem when charging from your truck. It is really "dumb" and is very sensitive to the voltage drop that occurs when trying to charge your batteries over the very small gauge wire that usually is used in the factory installs. If you are not a DIY person, it will cost a bit to have your system upgraded. I/we can walk you through what needs to be changed and why if you are interested. I recommend you dive into some of my threads, links in my signatures.

Your pictures don't show a battery monitor of any kind. That's an issue too... sort of like driving a car with no guages. Can it be done? Sure. Is it advisable? No. That's the first thing I would add. A Victron BMV 712 is a good start.

Vic Harder said:
Ugh, that Surepower 1314A separator is potentially a problem when charging from your truck. It is really "dumb" and is very sensitive to the voltage drop that occurs when trying to charge your batteries over the very small gauge wire that usually is used in the factory installs. If you are not a DIY person, it will cost a bit to have your system upgraded. I/we can walk you through what needs to be changed and why if you are interested. I recommend you dive into some of my threads, links in my signatures.

Your pictures don't show a battery monitor of any kind. That's an issue too... sort of like driving a car with no guages. Can it be done? Sure. Is it advisable? No. That's the first thing I would add. A Victron BMV 712 is a good start.
Thank you for your input, Vic. I am about to head out to Utah for a few days, and will do some thinking about my rig while I'm out there.

I just watched a couple of installation videos for the Victron BMV 712, and the process is definitely more than I'd be able to handle. The next time I'm down at the RV repair shop (which replaced my AGM batteries), I will ask if that installation is something they could do.

Thanks again!

Vic Harder said:
Do you have access to a manual for the controller/monitor? They DO look like the Victron gear, and if similar enough, you should be able to change the settings easily for your new battery.
Hey Vic, I'm a bit confused on what actual controller I do have, not with the camper right now and won't be till October. I found the manual for the mppt display. In the manual there stating its a 15/30A controller. Either way I should be able to make adjustments to the battery manufacturers settings I believe. Here's the link if your curious
https://www.overlandsolar.com/pages/mppt-controller-manual-15-and-30-amp

That looks very much like the Victron manual. Does this device not come with Bluetooth? Waaay easier to make setting changes from your phone than by using that controller display! But, you are correct, this device should work fine with your new Li batteries.

Vic Harder said:
That looks very much like the Victron manual. Does this device not come with Bluetooth? Waaay easier to make setting changes from your phone than by using that controller display! But, you are correct, this device should work fine with your new Li batteries.
Not sure on the Bluetooth Vic. Thanks for checking that out. That monitor I'm sure is a bit of a hassle to change settings too but at least I've got the option. My old rig had a decent Bluetooth victron setup. Definitely and easy way to monitor. Once I get to the camper I'll definitely get things figured out...and probably have a whole mess of new things to figure out as well.

Back
Top Bottom