do I need a fridge?

mntlion

Advanced Member
Getting ready to pull the trigger and order a eagle.

the trips for this will be 1-2 nights locally (banff, CND rockies) so not that warm, below freezing will be common overnight.

The other will be a spring fall trips south, 1-3 weeks, and all near some civilization (not bushwacking in AK, and not a month on some remote mexican surf spot.)

The camper comes with an "ice box" (cooler) and I have a second plug into the wall or cig lighter cooler already. So if I do a short weekend trip I use the built in cooler, and for a longer trip I need more room anyways so if I got the 3 way fridge I would still need the extra cooler.

So why pay $700 for what I have already?

what else am I missing?

700.00 !

Buy online, I think I paid 430.00 About a six hour install, and your done. Not 700.00

its not an issue of the price, it is a question do I need one at all with what I'm going to do with the camper.

Do I need one as I have a fridge already?

Personally speaking, I can't envision a trip where I wouldn't bring a cooler, even if I had a fridge. Heck, I haven't even used the ice box I have.

However, It sure would be nice when you're in the boondocks and your ice is running low to just toss the perishables in the fridge and not worry about it!! That said, as nice and convenient as it might be to have, I would still consider it an unecessary luxury. What other options might you aquire with the $700??

Price Not An Issue

In that case please contact me as soon as possible, I have a fully loaded GRANBY I might part with if price is not an issue.

its not an issue of the price, it is a question do I need one at all with what I'm going to do with the camper.

Do I need one as I have a fridge already?

What type on fridge you have? If it's Thermoelectric it use a lot of power, should not be a problem when the truck is running. But it can drain your house battery when park overnight.
I have the 3 way fridge and I like it a lot. There is not much storage space left after I put the camper on so it's nice to have a fridge out of the way. 3 way fridge can run on propane for a long time and I can pack a lot of stuff in there.
I've portable cooler as well but don't use it much after I got the fridge, I don't like to deal with melted ice. :D

try it first

When I puchased my Hawk I just got the icebox, after a summer of ice chests and keeping the ice box cold (I used frozen water bottles) I decided for my needs to install the Norcold fridge, I am very happy with it and still carry a small cooler just for extra beverages! The install was not very hard and I saved $ by waiting and making sure I wanted it.

We also like the convenience of the 3 way fridge, after nearly 30 years of ice chests it's a great addition (or is it subtraction) from the camping list. The one thing we do miss is having a good supply of ice for the evening frosty beverage.

I don't like the fridge because I don't use it all the time and can't take it out when it's not needed.

I like the fridge because I can use it for weeks to keep stuff cool and the engel for frozen foods. No need for a bulky ice chest.

:thumb:

I like using the fridge for perishables, got the DC/propane not the 3way. Still keep a medium cooler in the cab for snacks and beverages.

Sorry to say I did kill my battery once with it, lucky I was in a campground and not out there. Since then I added an aux and solenoid.

Back
Top Bottom