Do it yourself lift assist install

Outnabout

How difficult and expensive is it to install your own gas struts to lift the roof? Seems like the option prices at FWC and AT are pretty pricey.

Hey, FWC sent me the kit by UPS and I installed it the next day! Just take your time and have all the right tools, read the instructions and look at all the pictures and it's a breeze! Really ;) !

Smoke

I endorse bill's suggestion of taking a look at the "roof lifting helper shocks thingys" thread -- at least skim it for those posts that include helpful "how to" photos.

My quick answer from my own experience installing them: It's not hard, and I don't consider myself a handyman.
The only two aspects that require some thought:
1) Where to mount the brackets on the upper and lower camper sections such that the struts can fully extend (or almost) when up and be able to compress-retract when down. Think about the geometry...
2) Making sure you're drilling into the thick metal frame (for the screws to mount the brackets) and not just through aluminum-sheet-&-air.

A kit from FWC would likely include instructions to cover that -- where to mount brackets, but I had to figure it out for myself.

Thanks for the links and replies. New here and still searching out information before we take the plunge and place an order. Looking forward to visiting both the AT and FWC factories in a couple of weeks.

Smokecreek1, if you don't mind me asking, how much was the strut kit from FWC?

I did not buy the kit from FWC, as my FWC is ancient. However, I did buy the lifts and brackets listed in the big thread. The price came to about $125.00 from Amazon with free shipping. Very easy to install. I used 8 (remember this!, its in the thread...) angle brackets and 4 40 lb. 36" cylinders.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom