Do you have an Arctic Pack for sale?

Herve

Advanced Member
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I have an Hawk on order and have been obsessively reading this forum in the lasts months (thanks all for your insight) as I wait for my first ever camper to be built. I had a van before that (1987 Toyota Van 4wd). My friends with vans are very upset I am leaving them and moving on to the truck/camper combo ;) Or secretly jealous!

Anyway I will not bother you (for now) with all my agonizing on which options to get etc... but I am deciding whether to get the arctic pack or not. I saw some posts from people mentioning they bought the arctic pack but never used it. So I wonder if any of you would want to sell their arctic pack they don't use? You can send me a direct message if you wish.

Cheers,

Herve

How do you know you need one?

I don't know I need one indeed. My idea initially was to wait to have the camper for some time and see if I need it. Then I thought that since some people said they had one but never used maybe they would be willing to sell theirs for cheap. And getting one cheap seemed like a good idea whereas getting one full price seemed like an expensive proposition until I know for sure I want one. So I sent this message.

As to whether I need it or not. I'm in California and will use the camper in sno-parks in the Sierra Nevada in the winter as well as in Nevada desert areas in the summer. I liked the idea that people said it just made things better year round, both in hot and cold weather. But since I'm going a little crazy with the options already (furnace, AC, 1 fantastic fan, extra roof vent), I may already have enough cooling and heating power. What do you think?

Herve

We got the pack after several cold nights without one. It is a big help and very easy to use. It can be left in place year round which is nice if you are lazy. I expect some Tekfoil would do as well for a lot less money but a bit more work and bother.

Ok, they aren't that expensive anyway when you look at the whole picture. I have a fully loaded Bobcat and have camped many times in each situation. I guess maybe you would use a little less propane on the winter trips as it will hold the heat longer in the cabin. As for the day, you have the fan and you can open the window. They just look a little bulky hanging there in my opinion.

Its a judgement call. Maybe you should just go try your camper for a season and see what you think. You can always get one later and spend the money now for gas on another or longer road trip.

The idea is to go have fun and don't over do it. I read a lot of over doing it on this forum sometimes (sorry). They are just off road campers. You will never make them motor homes. And, I don't want a motor home. There was a discussion string a while back I was reading where this guy did all sorts of stuff. Later, I read he sold it to buy a motor home type trailer.

Have fun out there.

Darryl

Ok, they aren't that expensive anyway when you look at the whole picture. I have a fully loaded Bobcat and have camped many times in each situation. I guess maybe you would use a little less propane on the winter trips as it will hold the heat longer in the cabin. As for the day, you have the fan and you can open the window. They just look a little bulky hanging there in my opinion.

Its a judgement call. Maybe you should just go try your camper for a season and see what you think. You can always get one later and spend the money now for gas on another or longer road trip.

The idea is to go have fun and don't over do it. I read a lot of over doing it on this forum sometimes (sorry). They are just off road campers. You will never make them motor homes. And, I don't want a motor home. There was a discussion string a while back I was reading where this guy did all sorts of stuff. Later, I read he sold it to buy a motor home type trailer.

Have fun out there.

Darryl

I agree about the overdoing part. I'm so excited to get this camper. I don't think I'll ever want a motor home. For me a camper is already huge compared to my old van in which a full size bed was taking all the space. The hard part is waiting 3 months. While I wait, I spend a lot of time thinking about how to make it my dream camper.

I had this thought recently that maybe it's better to buy things upfront so they are part of the price I paid for the camper so if it ever gets stolen or destroyed the insurance would reimburse for the higher upfront price. But this may be my mind trying to legitimize me getting more options :) I'll resist the urge to get the arctic pack for now.

Does anybody know how the insurance work? I called AAA and they quoted me something like 200 dollars a year for the slide in camper with its own 1000 dollars deductible. I wonder how they compute the price to be reimbursed in case of a claim, and if anything bought aftermarket would be reimbursed.

Herve

I talked to our insurance rep last December when we foolishly bought a non pop up slide in. He said it is part of the vehicle and does not require separate insurance. We were with Met Life at the time and recently switched to Safeco ($300+ annual savings for home and vehicles) so I am not sure if it is industry wide or applies to Met Life only. Hope this helps some.

Hi,

Arctic Pack
I've done a couple of winter trips with my kids (4 and 6 years old) with no arctic pack. We did have the new heater (12K BTU or 16K BTW?) and cache of 0 degree sleeping bags from REI. We set the thermostat to 50 at night, and a way bit higher in the morning. No one froze but... it was cold when we got back to the camper after a day out. A 'Pac would have been nice, maybe saved some gas... I don't know? From now on I am taking an extra 20lb lpg tank with me in the winter for heat and turning off the darn gas 'fridge before it turns into a freezer.

Insurance... My camper's plan is about $94 each six months with a 1K deductible, extra's are extra... so if you lose a diamond ring, M1 rifle (June 6 ya know), and a 'pac, and your favorite pair of boxers in a tragic four wheel camper wreck... I am going to guess you get the insurance for the four wheel camper... but... I am not an adjuster.

Attachments

• yosemite winter 2010 030.jpg
    yosemite winter 2010 030.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 122
He said it is part of the vehicle and does not require separate insurance.

Maybe this depends on the state or on the insurance company...but it's NOT true for State Farm in Oregon. 11 years ago I rolled my truck with Phoenix camper on it. Truck was more-or-less destroyed, camper was totally destroyed. (I was uninjured.) Truck was covered by insurance and camper was not. I had neglected to get coverage on the camper -- I have it now.

We added our 2011 Hawk to our Progressive policy so it's covered whether on the truck or off. $120 for the year!!

Back
Top Bottom