Do you use your dinette on a regular basis?

Do you use your dinette on a regular basis?

• Yes

Votes: 38 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 14 26.9%

• Total voters

alaskaguy

We are wondering how often people use their dinettes? It seems like every single camper ever built has a dinette. Many do not have bathrooms, or even fridges, but a dinette is always present. But we have heard a lot of comments from long time campers that they "rarely" use their dinettes and wish it was extra counter space or storage space. We have also heard from campers who say they could not live without their dinette and it is an important part of their camper.

So I thought I would post a poll.

One of the main reasons that I went from a rooftop tent was to be able to have a place to sit down and relax, eat, read or whatever in inclement weather. Ron

Love the dinette. Use it all the time.

Below escaping the bugs in Florida.
IMG_3473.jpg

We have a front dinette on our Fleet and use it every time we're out, for eating and working. We also carry a stainless-steel table in a rack under the cabover extension, for cooking and eating outside.

We love the outdoors! (DUH!) But it is really nice to eat inside when it is cold, windy or buggy outside. Plus remember that in the small confines of our campers you can use the dinette table as a counter too.

Steve

We use it when watching movies, playing board games, storing our clothes at night, and to eat when the weather is bad. High winds and cold temperatures in Galveston, TX last week found my wife and her sister deciding inside was the place to eat, plenty of room at our Grandby front dinette for 3 adults. I cooked everything outside and handed things in as they finished cooking. I couldn't see being without the table. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

I'd argue that not every single camper built has a dinette. As far as I know there have been years and years of FWC production (and some from ATC, as well) of that darn roll over couch facing away from the window, without an option of getting a dinette.

And, I'm not going to be of any help deciding between having counters on both sides or having a side dinette, I've had both, in one ATC Bobcat Shell. The counters on both sides served a specific purpose at the time, and now that I've remodeled for a side dinette, I like it as well and use it all the time. Plus, I have a bathroom (a porti-pottie), a fridge, a portable inside shower, a furnace and a stove top, plus enough storage that I worry about having the whole rig weigh too much (at least I don't carry my cast iron cookware anymore).

We just received our Granby at the end of last year and have gone on three trips so far. We haven't been able to eat outside for any of those nights except for one due to rain or snow. We were happy to have the option of hiding inside when we could.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

We use ours all the time.Eating,reading at times and game playing at night,or rainy days.
Our Bobcat was one of the first to be built with the dinette feature.LOVE it.
IMO makes better use of the smaller area of an Eagle/Bobcat.
It just makes sense.
Frank

Our dinette normally stays configured as a bed, front dinette in an FWC Grandby. Very rarely do we use it as a dinette.

Although we have an All Terrain Camper, it is similar enough to be of value. We built our interior -

Building our new camper

with a side dinette. Out of 180 nights now, we have eaten inside only twice. But, the layout has worked well for us to both work on meal prep at the same time and other chores. It is invaluable for scramble games on those long cold winter nights. :)

I bought a used fleet with a roll over couch but not having a dinette was almost a deal breaker. I will make do with what I have but if I was purchasing new I would no doubt go with a dinette.

SailorRocco said:
I bought a used fleet with a roll over couch but not having a dinette was almost a deal breaker. I will make do with what I have but if I was purchasing new I would no doubt go with a dinette.
I converted my 2012 Hawk from the roll-over bench into a very serviceable side dinette. Lot of work but it came out very nice. It can be done.

I have a fleet with front dinette that I have never used...but...I know that some day the weather will be such that I am glad I have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

We use our side dinette every time we setup our '12 Hawk. Great spot for sitting..... for dinner, games, reading and computer/photo work. Or just sitting with a bottle of wine and talking about your next adventure. I did an upgrade to a Lagun Pedestal Table and we really like it. It can be swiveled to the far side by the window, out of the way at any time. Sometimes we leave it set up while driving. The quality can't be.

We recommend getting a dinette, you will use it all the time.

While I appreciate the input from those that own and use or don't use the dinning table/seating it really comes down to a personal choice and how you use the camper.

Like so many, my intent in owning my Hawk is to provide shelter and comfort not possible in a tent while out in the boondocks.

One horizontal blizzard, driving rain, dust storm or attack of the killer bugs and sitting with my Bride inside out of the maelstrom sipping a favorite beverage out of the icebox [yes I am that old..] punctuates why a seating area with a table is very cool. Not to mention trying to cook and eat inside a tent. yes, we will eat outside as much as possible to stay in touch with the outdoors we came to enjoy.

I have and will continue to live out of my pack on extended dirt bike, sea kayaking and hiking trips...but the hawk now opens more options and at my age while I love being outside....a refuge is very nice indeed. :D

Phil

I have an ATC with the side couch. Before I only used the table briefly to eat, otherwise its in the way and it was trouble to set up and take down. Now I added a small table that folds down and doesn't take a lot of space. I had some 3/4" plywood from an old entertainment center and hinged it to the top rail on the ATC cabinets. I love the table, its very simple and solid as a rock. Its convenient to keep set most of the time. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• Table.jpg
    Table.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 192
  • Table_folded.jpg
    Table_folded.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 189
Back
Top Bottom