Do you use your dinette on a regular basis?

Do you use your dinette on a regular basis?

• Yes

Votes: 38 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 14 26.9%

• Total voters
I think it's safe to say that a high percentage (84% at this point) of people with the dinette use it and really enjoy it.

I don't have the dinette, so I usually jump up to the top bunk if my GF is prepping something in the kitchen. I've actually stayed up there and ate lying down while the plate was on the kitchen counter. Not elegant, but it works. We've shared a meal together using the box from my winter boots as a dinning table, between us on the couch. Again, not elegant, but it worked.

We have the collapsable table, that came with the Hawk, but it stays at home. Normally we eat outdoors. Yes, there have been times where I wish I had the dinette, but we make do. Having the extra storage space is nice. I'm able to store my Buddy Heater. We eat outdoors down to -5C, 23F, with the Buddy Heater and hopefully a campfire.

I do enjoy having a full sized roll over couch. It get's used as a bed very often. I also like not feeling confined when I sit down or want to put my feet up.

alaskaguy said:
We are wondering how often people use their dinettes? It seems like every single camper ever built has a dinette. Many do not have bathrooms, or even fridges, but a dinette is always present. But we have heard a lot of comments from long time campers that they "rarely" use their dinettes and wish it was extra counter space or storage space. We have also heard from campers who say they could not live without their dinette and it is an important part of their camper.

So I thought I would post a poll.
I have self contained Hawk with the Front Dinette.

Usually it's just me and I almost never use it. I put my laptop on the counter and sit on the bench (that turns into the Dinette). It's more roomy that way and I don't have to move the stuff I have stored on the sides.

When I have company with me we usually eat outside under the awning - more room and better views.

We have an Eagle so maximizing space is a concern for us. The table and the back of the couch wound up in the shop closet pretty shortly after we got it and we enjoy being able to move around more easily. If we had a larger camper with a dinette style configuration I'm sure we'd enjoy the extra surface area but with the smaller camper the space is more valuable to us. We eat on our laps or outside on a folding table when the weather allows, and use pillows and clothes bags for the back rest we removed. Our philosophy is to keep everything as simple and minimal as possible, and it's still miles ahead of tent camping which we do when we're backpacking.

We use the the front dinette in our fleet every dinner, then extend the bed for the night, shorten it in the morning. We spend every day engaged outdoors so the comfort of the dinette is welcome. The ease of cooking, setting the table, eating, clearing the table, doing dishes is great after a long day of having fun.

I have an Eagle Shell which has limited space. I do not have a permanent table (with two people in the Eagle, it takes up a lot of space). Instead I use an aluminum folding camper table ($35) which I can use inside and out. It works great and gives me lots of options.

Attachments

• Table.jpg
    Table.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 95
We use our front dinette we built in our Hawk shell every day. Coffee in the morning if it's cold out and after-dinner/before-bed in the evenings for reading,computer or whatever. For us it is completely useful.

Bill D said:
I think it's safe to say that a high percentage (84% at this point) of people with the dinette use it and really enjoy it.

I don't have the dinette, so I usually jump up to the top bunk if my GF is prepping something in the kitchen. I've actually stayed up there and ate lying down while the plate was on the kitchen counter. Not elegant, but it works. We've shared a meal together using the box from my winter boots as a dinning table, between us on the couch. Again, not elegant, but it worked.

We have the collapsable table, that came with the Hawk, but it stays at home. Normally we eat outdoors. Yes, there have been times where I wish I had the dinette, but we make do. Having the extra storage space is nice. I'm able to store my Buddy Heater. We eat outdoors down to -5C, 23F, with the Buddy Heater and hopefully a campfire.

I do enjoy having a full sized roll over couch. It get's used as a bed very often. I also like not feeling confined when I sit down or want to put my feet up.
Just like Bill D,

The table is not easy to use and is not storable.

After using my camper a few times something needed to be done. With the help of my son-in-law, a cabinet maker, we cut about 2" off the length of the table, rounded the corners, cut the groove for the molding and then installed the molding trimming to fit. The groove for the molding required a saw blade that is 1/8" wide, which he had.

The table, finished side, now fits up against the storage area under the rollover couch. The table is held in place with velcro strap material on the bottom side of the table and the inside of the storage area. The table post holder has not interfered with led movement when not in use. The next change was replacing the original post with a shorter one. The 25.5" post was purchased from a local camping supply store. This made the table more comfortable to use. Very accommodating for computer use. The table base fits between the rollover couch and the front wall, it is in a secure place and out of the way. I did put some gasket material on the bottom of the base to protect the wall. The base needs to be removed to flip over the couch.

[sharedmedia=gallery:albums:1023]

wi_hawk said:
Just like Bill D,

The table is not easy to use and is not storable.

After using my camper a few times something needed to be done. With the help of my son-in-law, a cabinet maker, we cut about 2" off the length of the table, rounded the corners, cut the groove for the molding and then installed the molding trimming to fit. The groove for the molding required a saw blade that is 1/8" wide, which he had.

The table, finished side, now fits up against the storage area under the rollover couch. The table is held in place with velcro strap material on the bottom side of the table and the inside of the storage area. The table post holder has not interfered with led movement when not in use. The next change was replacing the original post with a shorter one. The 25.5" post was purchased from a local camping supply store. This made the table more comfortable to use. Very accommodating for computer use. The table base fits between the rollover couch and the front wall, it is in a secure place and out of the way. I did put some gasket material on the bottom of the base to protect the wall. The base needs to be removed to flip over the couch.
Good job. I like the idea. It takes minimal space now. :cool:

Speaking of the dinette is there a handy place to keep the table when it's not in use? When you have everything laid flat as a bed where are you storing the table?

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

fireball said:
Speaking of the dinette is there a handy place to keep the table when it's not in use? When you have everything laid flat as a bed where are you storing the table?

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West
Did not mention this, but by cutting the 2 inches off the table it allows the fold over couch to fold over without moving the table. 2 inches is a rounded number for cutting the table.

Tom

Great for playing cards with a friend on a rainy night (in my FWC Fleet w/ side dinette) or solo pouring over maps in the evening.
I got my Fleet in November, so most of my campering thus far has been during crummy and/or cold weather, so a lot of indoors eating.

Back
Top Bottom