Dodge 2500 with a Hawk

setter_guy

Howdy,

I am picking up my new Hawk early next month on the way to Baja. It will be installed on my "new to me" '05 Dodge 2500 diesel. I know there are some folks out there with a similar setup and I was wondering how the truck handled the load. The truck bed is rated for 2200 lbs so I can't imagine a problem but I know a lot of folks have air bags installed. Anyone have experience with this setup?

I did just replace the stock shocks with Bilsteins, man what a difference.

Thanks

A 3/4 ton truck will handle the camper just fine, all the suspension mods really only apply to 1/2 ton trucks like mine. Best of luck and don't forget the pics.

I have a 2500 diesel shortbed with a fully loaded Grandby on it. I ran around about a year with stock suspension with no apparent difficulties, the rear sagged just slightly, mainly because the camper center of gravity is behind the rear axle. I added a full Kore Recon suspension upgrade and lift, plus a set of Carli "long travel" airbags.
The improvement in handling was stunning.

You might be able to get away with stock suspension with a Hawk, but I'd really recommend the Carli airbags.
Not cheap, but unlike Firestone, etc. offer full rear suspension travel.

Congrats on the new camper, you're going to love it.

setter_guy,

I'm running a stock Dodge CTD 2500 with a Grandby and it handles fine. It now has Bilstein shocks but the stock shocks were ok also. Adding the camper only dropped the rear about an inch. I'm not a fan of air bags - just something else to go wrong.

Where are you going in Baja? I'm heading out on the 10th for a few weeks in Mulege. Maybe I'll see you along the road or if you're near Playa Coyote stop by for a cerveza frio.

Dick

Hey camelracer,

I am also heading out that week of March and am heading to Mulege. We usually camp at Playa Cocos or Playa Escondida, I've had many a cerveza frio at Bertha's! My CTD is silver and I'll be pulling a utility trailer with a 15' boat on it. I'll be hard to miss.

I live in North Idaho and will have the camper installed in Reno then south and cross at Tecate. I usually overnight at Catavina on the way down. If the schedules work it would be cool to caravan.

Chuck

Hey camelracer,

I am also heading out that week of March and am heading to Mulege. We usually camp at Playa Cocos or Playa Escondida, I've had many a cerveza frio at Bertha's! My CTD is silver and I'll be pulling a utility trailer with a 15' boat on it. I'll be hard to miss.

I live in North Idaho and will have the camper installed in Reno then south and cross at Tecate. I usually overnight at Catavina on the way down. If the schedules work it would be cool to caravan.

Chuck

Chuck,

I'll keep an eye out for you at Bertha's. I have a dark gray Dodge but may be in a buddy's gold ford van for the trips to town.
How do you like Playa Escondida? If Coyote is too crowded we may try it there.

Dick

I'll be easy to find. I'll be fishing/diving out of a 15' Gregor. Escondida is a nice quiet beach though the palapas are a joke now after Jimena ripped everything up. I've heard that the beaches aren't full this year. The canucks usually head north in early March to boot. Might get lonely down there....

Chuck

The FWC is a light load for the mighty Cummins. My stock suspension 2500 CTD has hauled my Grandby all over the place from CA to Prudhoe Bay, AK, on/off road with not one issue. Handling is great in all conditions. You will be fine - keep an eye on the attachments at first. Have a good trip. I'd like to visit those parts someday myself.

Before Catavina are some old ruins called El Marmol, where they mined marble in the old days. If you are into rocks, there is a whole lot there. Even an old school house built from marble blocks.

The FWC is a light load for the mighty Cummins. My stock suspension 2500 CTD has hauled my Grandby all over the place from CA to Prudhoe Bay, AK, on/off road with not one issue. Handling is great in all conditions. You will be fine - keep an eye on the attachments at first. Have a good trip. I'd like to visit those parts someday myself.

Ditto re camper/truck handling. The CTD doesn't even know the camper is back there. Tip - If you have mechanical jacks, remove them before you go to Baja.
Here's my tip for south of Mulege: At the top of Bahia Conception is a turn-off for a campground called Playa Punta Arena. The permanent installations on this campground were mysteriously destroyed by fire in 2008(?) but you can still camp on the pristine beach for a few pesos a day paid to the adjacent caretaker. You can walk (30 min) from this quiet spot to the restaurant and store at Bahia Santispac.

[Pix attch is at Playa Punta Arena]

Further down Bahia Conception, if you are in need of a good burger and wifi, stop and see Olivia at Campo Buenaventura.

Dammit, you guys are making me itchy for Baja again! ~Bob

Greetings

I bought a used 2005 as well. Have a Hawk on it. I measured the drop when the camper was installed. Without the camper it was 5 inches from rear bump-stop to axle. It was 3 1/2 inches with the camper on.

Looks like this in real world.

http://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/Vacation-Photos/Death-Valley-Day-One-2011/15905945_Pxu9H#1192840563_9NKEf

Have considered airbags but haven't rushed into it.

Keith Barnes
La Mesa CA

I decided I did not need my Airlift air bags on my 2005 RAM 2500, so I took them off and selling them.

When I first brought my Grandby home a couple weeks ago, I had the air bags and rear Hellwig sway bar on from my previous full size camper. I took them off and have been driving around and have decided I do not need them anymore. It does squat a bit just touching the overload spring bar, but the rear of the truck bed is still 1" higher than the front of the bed, and I have 17" clearance at the bottom of my hitch receiver tube. I have the Hemi long bed.

So the sway bar and bags are now on CL. Adios parts!

- Mike

I have an ATC Ocelot Shell on my Dodge 2500. When I load the camper on to it, the rear drops no more than an inch. I am so pleased not to have to deal with the common suspension mods.

Back
Top Bottom