Does anybody use skid plate or rock sliders

I have the Toyota TRD skid plates, not the best but better than nothing. Rock sliders would be nice, I put on chrome nerf bars, way cheaper to replace that rocker panels. I have bent mine up far enough I could not open the drivers door. Two 250 pound friends bouncing on them bent them back. I only truly 4X4 once a year. My Tundra wand 2002 Hawk on Slick Rock Road. Get rough at 1:40

Note I did not take my new Hawk down this road last year it is just too nice. I left it home and slept under a tarp in the bed. Sure did miss the Hawk.

I have a complete set of Power Wagon skids and sliders on my Dodge, including the steering stabilizer skid. Lots of scrape marks on them....

I also have skid plates. I think putting armor on the bottom is a better choice than lifting the truck if I had to choose one. Keep debating adding sliders but I think I'll bend up my steps first.

I've got them on my 99 F-150(new) 4x4-but had to ask for them! It was sort of funny when i asked the salesman if it had them, we both had to crawl under neath the truck to check(we thought that they came stock). It seems that they stopped putting them on as a regular stock item-at least on the one I was going to get-had them in stock put them right on that day!. My old 80 Toyota had them, as did every government rig I ever drove! If I remember right my dad's 57 chev had one and most trucks i saw growing up did (I think). It's still hard to believe that stock a 4x4 doesn't come with them anymore-probably figure that they could sell more rigs,if you punched a hole in the oil pan when you were out playing in the boonies. I'm not sure on that last statement-anyone know for sure? I mean who would go off-road without a skid pan-or am I just getting that old?

Smoke

Skid plates yes, brush guard yes, sliders no, at least not yet.

Smokecreek1 said:
I've got them on my 99 F-150(new) 4x4-but had to ask for them! It was sort of funny when i asked the salesman if it had them, we both had to crawl under neath the truck to check(we thought that they came stock). It seems that they stopped putting them on as a regular stock item-at least on the one I was going to get-had them in stock put them right on that day!.
Smoke
Yup, another sign of pending doom. Skid plates as options on a 4x4. ;)

Smokecreek1 said:
I've got them on my 99 F-150(new) 4x4-but had to ask for them! It was sort of funny when i asked the salesman if it had them, we both had to crawl under neath the truck to check(we thought that they came stock). It seems that they stopped putting them on as a regular stock item-at least on the one I was going to get-had them in stock put them right on that day!. My old 80 Toyota had them, as did every government rig I ever drove! If I remember right my dad's 57 chev had one and most trucks i saw growing up did (I think). It's still hard to believe that stock a 4x4 doesn't come with them anymore-probably figure that they could sell more rigs,if you punched a hole in the oil pan when you were out playing in the boonies. I'm not sure on that last statement-anyone know for sure? I mean who would go off-road without a skid pan-or am I just getting that old?

Smoke
It was an option I had to choose. Found it ironic that I could get a 4x4 with locking rear end but had to choose to have skid plates.

I didn't want to lift my F150 other than levelling the front with replacement struts so skid plates seem like a necessity option and cheap insurance.

I ordered the truck with the factory 3 piece skid plate option because at $105 it was cheaper at than just buying the fuel tank straps to mount the plate for the fuel tank from Ford which I wouldn't have if I didn't order the factory skids. I'll take the stock plates off and replace them with a full set of RCI plates.

Haven't decided on sliders yet though.

Stock skid plates with the Toyota TRD off-road pkg and I added "Rock sliders" welded to the frame.
Besides protecting the sheet metal I now have side "Lift-points" for my "Hi-Lift Jack".

My truck didn't come with them either. Been meaning to make some but I haven't gotten around to it. Maybe I drive a bit more carefully knowing I'm unprotected?

My Jeep has a skid plate for the transmission/transfer case, rear diff and all four springs. Used to have one on the front diff but it actually caused more problems than it fixed.

My Frontier came with a couple of thin sheet metal "Skid plates". Even my buddy's Nismo Frontier had the same crap. The lower radiator and transfer case are both just waiting to get busted. I found Shrockworks http://www.shrockworks.com/
which provides bomber protection and I added the radiator, engine and transfer case plates. They are heavy but provide excellent protection. I have a few good dents in them which I'm sure saved me from major damage. I've scraped them up crawling in 4 lo but where they have really saved me is when I'm cruising down a good dirt road and suddenly find a large rock that I can't avoid. Good value and good protection.

RC Pilot Jim said:
... I added "Rock sliders" welded to the frame.
Besides protecting the sheet metal I now have side "Lift-points" for my "Hi-Lift Jack".
I agree whole-heartedly with this! Much more control when lifting with the high lift from the sides (sliders) than from the ends.(bumpers) When you lift from one end, that end of the truck wants to swing downhill just before the second of the two wheels at that end comes off the ground. As others have ponted out on other threads the "lift-mate" is very nice for lifting from the side at one wheel, but it doesn't do you much good for changing a tire. The sliders are ideal for this purpose.

I am seriously looking at getting sliders both for protection and to stand on to reach the top of the camper.

Basin Deranged said:
I agree whole-heartedly with this! Much more control when lifting with the high lift from the sides (sliders) than from the ends.(bumpers) When you lift from one end, that end of the truck wants to swing downhill just before the second of the two wheels at that end comes off the ground. As others have ponted out on other threads the "lift-mate" is very nice for lifting from the side at one wheel, but it doesn't do you much good for changing a tire. The sliders are ideal for this purpose.
You're not going to change a tire with a Hi-Lift without first putting a jack stand in place at least not safely. Lifting at the tire will be the fastest way to get the tire off the ground because you don't have to deal with suspension travel.

JHa6av8r said:
I'm not going to change a tire with a Hi-Lift without first putting a jack stand in place at least not safely. Lifting at the tire will be the fastest way to get the tire off the ground because you don't have to deal with suspension travel.
I fixed that for you...

Maybe you've only tried to lift a vehicle with a hi-lift jack from the front or back in which case you are entirely correct: A very unstable proposition. Jacking from the side, however, is quite a different story.

Well, I've changed a few tires with only a hi lift. I'll never ever get under the vehicle with only a hi lift. Actually I've only done that on the jeep which pretty much can be jacked from anywhere. A good feature if it were to fall off the jack.

Okay, officially I won't recommend it. You do have to be very careful and be ready to abandon the tire if it starts to move. Who carries jack stands?

craig333 said:
Okay, officially I won't recommend it. You do have to be very careful and be ready to abandon the tire if it starts to move. Who carries jack stands?
I have a Bogert bottle jack kit and added the jack stand base.

I found this company based in Logan Utah that make sliders for the extended cab F150's. On their website they advertised having an extended end of the year sale so I picked up a set for $350, shipping included to NC. I just couldn't beat that deal with a tire iron. They made a bunch and have a lot more. The name is Rock Sliders Engineering and they're not just made in the USA but they make a lot of stuff for other vehicles as well.

Back
Top Bottom