Does anyone put anything into the front wheel well area?

rubberlegs said:
How dusty does it get between the camper and truck bed?
How long is a string?

Depends on conditions. Burning Man may result in more dust than fall/winter in Oregon Coast Range.

My Tundra/Hawk combo doesn't get that dusty but I don't drive in exceptionally dusty conditions if I can help it.

Paul

I store an extension cable and some rope in there. This area doesn't stay clean; it's a good idea to check on what's there and dust it off once in a while, and I wouldn't put anything very small there either. So flexible, easy to grab is the ticket for me.

We store pee bottles (yeah, come on, sometimes it's cold outside and I'm lazy) in the rear wheel well turnbuckle access) and an extra 1 lb propane wrapped in a soft bag on the other side.

This guy improvised a gray water tank for a Hawk shell using the rear turnbuckle area on the driver's side. He attached some tubing to a collapsible waterproof "dry bag" (used by kayakers), stuffed it into the turnbuckle area, and connected it to the gray water drain.

Sagebrushers - Grey Water System

I am planning to get a Hawk on an F-150 in the next 6-9 months, might try this

We have carried reserve FRESH water like that on some Baja trips....now just refill at the purificada when in town.

What exactly are you using to get a 1 1/2” lift?
camper rich said:
Our truck has a 1-1/2" spacer to lift the camper a little higher in the bed. This allows us to access the turnbuckle space from outside the bed. I store all kinds of things in there ranging from canoe paddles, wheel struts for my inflatable boat, 1# propane cylinders, camp rug, extra cassette toilet chemical (in sealed bag), 2# sledge hammer, extra stakes. We've been storing stuff in there on all of the Baja trips we've done since we bought our first FWC in 1998. Haven't found a snake in there yet. BTW, the 1-1/2" spacer lifts our Grandby enough to provide clearance for the extra storage box I made that hangs under the overhang along with the Eezi-Awn K9 camp table. The box holds my Telescoping ladder I use to tie my boats up on top with.

Regulator23 said:
What exactly are you using to get a 1 1/2” lift?
I made the spacer out of 2 x 3's that are laid flat under the edge of the camper plus a couple more that support the middle of the floor. Mine is a Grandby so the 2 x3's measure the length of the floor with cross pieces (2 x 3's that also lay flat that are the width of the camper). I spaced the outer edges of the long boards to match the width of the camper and then attached a couple pieces of 2 x 6 on edge to make a frame to guide my camper on to the bed. The frame is made so it fits snug in the bed at the ends so there is no movement sideways.

Back
Top Bottom