Dome Fire, Mojave National Preserve

daverave

Just saw today that there is a lightning-sparked wildfire in one of our favorite Mojave desert locations which has burned 10s of thousands of acres within the Preserve including most of Cima Dome and the densest Joshua tree forest in the world. For those that have done it, the Mojave Trail runs just south of the fire at this point. There are many special boondocking sites in the vicinity that are now charred.The Teutonia Peak trail has also been burned over.

The fire is currently zero (!) percent contained :-( so no telling how far it will spread. As there are no structures being threatened, already thin fire fighting resources are being allocated to other SoCal locations. And it's really just the beginning of the "normal" wildfire season. 2020 sucks!

The preserve has been and will continue to be a fave of ours as well, It seems our previous hikes up Teutonia and remote camps near the Dome will become strictly memories (but good ones). I imagine the proliferation of red brome, cheatgrass, and possibly other Mojave Desert invasives are playing a role in the wildfire's spread, Don't I wish we could turn back the clock on all that. Sigh.
Rico.

Per your comment above, Rico, Inciweb has posted information about the Dome Fire and included a mention of the exotic grasses as you did:

"Resource managers believe the increased fuel loads provided by these exotic grasses are responsible for carrying lightning-ignited fires from plant to plant. Desert plants do not need fire to reproduce and most are highly susceptible to fire. Shallow roots are easily burned and seeds lying on the ground waiting to germinate are destroyed. The desert does grow back but recovery after a fire is slow. Joshua trees can live for hundreds of years, and if one burns, it will take a hundred years for another to take its place. Even small shrubs like blackbrush may require 50 years to return to a burned area. Non-native grasses are also able to quickly recover after a fire and are usurping the habitat of native grasses."

They've also allocated 184 personnel with air support to the fire and it is 5% contained. There are two historic mines with structures that are very threatened plus a Union Pacific Railway line, high voltage power lines, and a natural gas line.

The whole damn state seems to be burning. We're having significant ash fall here in downtown Sacramento.

Something north of 10,000 lightning strikes. Not surprising we've got fires all over the state. Another fire burning in the Plumas in an area I frequent thats had much more than its share of fires over the past few years. At least it looks like the Loyalton fire is somewhat under control. Tough when resources are stretched thin. The Eldorado NF had to borrow air tankers from Nevada and they barely had enough light left to drop.

I'd hate to be one that decides which fire will get what resources. Tough job there.

Back
Top Bottom