Dometic 3 way fridge won't stay closed off road

gaylon

Unless I completely unload the door to my fridge, it won't stay closed off road. Even unloaded I can pull it open without disengaging the 'latch'. Anyone else encounter this and if so, what are your repairs or work arounds?

We absolutely encountered this same problem with our 2012 Dometic 3 way right off the bat, not after the fridge was a couple of years old. I was shocked that an RV fridge would be made with such a weak little plastic latch. It kind of ticked me off. I just made a strap out of two 1" Velcro strips that go across the bottom half of the door. They are held at each end by small eye bolts. We cinch it up before we travel, they hang loose out of the way on either side of the fridge while camped. The door has never come open with this simple strap.

Yes, happened on my last trip. Had to jury rig it to get through the remainder of the week-long trip. When I devise a solution I'll post it.

I had the same problem with my Truckfridge. Installed a door lock I picked up at OSH.

IMG_2219.jpg
IMG_2220.jpg

If your fridge is like mine, remove the latch and install a lock pin it its place.

cwd

If the latch is the same as on the dometic on camper that was loaned to me take some thin cardboard (about or a little thicker than a file folder. Like a cracker box..) and roll it a few times, and leave a tag end to insert and remove. Then shove it in to hold the latch tab down onto the catch. It works amazingly well. You are just adding a little down pressure to the movable part of the latch. You roll the cardboard such that the rolled part fits the length and width of the latch space.

That's the best I can describe it but it is bombproof. I drove the tar out of that rig off-road with a stuffed and heavy door and it never opened. And it just slides in and out to open the door if you leave a tag end "handle". For it to work you need the tag end side up I believe.

Back
Top Bottom