Dometic electric cooler for Fleet shell?

shear

Trying to figure out what size we need for our Fleet shell. Looking for a size that will either A.) Fit on the same side as the stove/furnace we have or B.) In the floor towards the back.

Struggling with reading the dimensions online and figuring out what size will work.

Thanks!

Don't know about the Dometic but the 47 L ARB fridge fits perfectly on the Fleet shell side bench. It's too wide for the floor space between the benches unless you rotate it longways which seems to impede in to the walking space.

Compare some of the other refers as well. Engel and Truck fridge are commonly used.

If it were my shell, I would locate the refer as far forward and low as possible. Against the front wall and on the floor would be my first choice.

Welcome Shear.

There are many different size refers from different companies....

Remember that it will be pretty heavy when loaded.

We store ours cross ways at the front of floor space and secure with a strap.

You can always lift it to the shelf to access food.....

It can't fall "off" the floor during travel. :)

David Graves

Shear,

I have uploaded and posted below a partially completed spreadsheet on various 12v refrigerators I created during my search.

I hope it helps (there has been some industry consolidation since I created this)

Regards,

Craig

Attachments

• 12 V Refrigerator Freezers Feb 2018.xlsx
    15.5 KB · Views: 143
Congrats on the camper. There are a lot of choices. If I had it to do over, I would buy the new Dometic top loading fridge/freezer. You can use both sides, or only use one. Dometic was a sponsor at the Mid-Atlantic Overland in PA in August. There is an app on your phone so you can watch the temps and make adjustments. A bit costly, but it has all the bells and whistles. Craig's list should be a big help. jd

I am looking at the TruckFridge TF49AC/DC. It is a cabinet mounting fridge with a front opening door 20.5" h x 15" wide x 18" deep. I think it is narrower than other brands. I am considering putting it in the same location ATC mounts their fridge for the Panther model.

I have the 130L Truckfridge in my shell. I put it in the "stock" location over the propane tank. I would like the weight further forwards too, but it is VERY nice to be open the fridge without getting into the camper to grab a quick cold one, or two.

A chest type fridge will be more efficient. We have both the ARB 50 qt chest type and the Isotherm 130 with the opening door. When you open the door on the Isotherm, the cold pours out while you are looking for an item which always seems to be behind others. This is energy lost. Also get the most efficient fridge possible if you are going to run on solar. It's worth the extra money.

I'm in the middle of building the interior of my newly acquired grandby. I am building my cabinets around my norcold tek II (31" x 20"). I put it on a drawer so I can pull it out when needed. 20181204_175501.jpeg20181009_090023.jpeg

Camper Rich, et al,

It is a inaccurate to assume that opening a door of a vertical door refrigerator will cause a loss of temperature or is less efficient. Opening the door has minimal impact on the temperature.

The cold contents have far more thermal mass than the little bit of cold air that spills out (which has minimal thermal mass) and the contents remain cold with the little bit of heat that gets in. The insulation, size, construction as well as the performance parameters of the compressor used are far more important considerations.

I recommend making a choice of a refrigerator based on dimensions, capacity and performance.

I have to agree with Vic here.
I have a 50 quart ARB in my granby shell, mounted just inside the door, drivers side.
Being able to to access it with the top down for a quick lunch or even loading it after a stop at the store is huge.
I put the batteries and water storage forward for weight concerns.
Btw, my ARB has not been off since the day I installed it.
Runs off solar when on the truck.
When in the garage, the battery charger keeps it running and we use it as a spare fridge.

Back
Top Bottom