Door is biting me in the head!

Seth

Advanced Member
Well, I don't have as much cushioning on the top of my head as I used to, and I've run into the top of the door frame of my old Eagle hard enough to draw blood a couple times.

It's just raw aluminum molding on edge...

Anybody have a solution for this? I imagine some kind of crimp-on trim to soften the edge, but google doesn't seem to be my friend today.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

My 2016 Eagle does have the trim edge on it. It still hurts! Search metal edge trim on Ebay, lots of it there. Ron

I've had good luck with foam pipe insulation. The kind that is rigid foam, split along its length. Cut to length, separate at the split and fit over the aluminum edge. Seems to stay in place well, and I've bumped my head on it several times now and was glad it was there.

I'll have to give that a try. I just bonked myself real good this past weekend while camping in the San Bernardino Mtns. Still walking around with a pretty good bump & cut.

I finally found this on Amazon:
Trim-Lok 100B3X1/16-100 PVC/Aluminum Edge Trim, 1/16" Fits Edge
by Trim-lok
Link: https://amzn.com/B00NL3YN7O

But the first stop will be at the local hardware store for pipe insulation. Smallest I can find, I guess.

Thanks all!

lapoudre said:
I've had good luck with foam pipe insulation. The kind that is rigid foam, split along its length. Cut to length, separate at the split and fit over the aluminum edge. Seems to stay in place well, and I've bumped my head on it several times now and was glad it was there.
I also use the foam insulation and it sure works great.
If you do bump your head it gives a nice cushion.
Stays in place nicely and doesn't interfere with the door.A cheap fix.
Frank

BTW, don't feel bad. I'm 6'3" and I never bump my head. My GF is 5'0" and she always bumps her head, especially if she is wearing a hair clip. Maybe it's because I am forced to duck.

Maybe you should start wearing a cowboy hat or one of those cheese head things :)

I don't like to have scabs on my solar collector. Been thinking of a shock collar that goes off when I get close. Everything seemed to change when I got bifocals. Foam works. Good luck, Bigfoot Dave

Hmmm... A dollar-fifty later and 3/4" pipe insulation may be off the table. It seems to distort the screen door of my 97 eagle quite a bit, and makes a gap big enough for a bug parade. Will have to order the edge trim.

email Stan at Four Wheel. stan@fourwh.com

Ask him what they use for their "floor models". I don't use any yet...and still bonk my head when Im not paying attention. I'm 6 foot 1 inch, the Eagle entry is mighty small for someone my size :oops:

Seth said:
Hmmm... A dollar-fifty later and 3/4" pipe insulation may be off the table. It seems to distort the screen door of my 97 eagle quite a bit, and makes a gap big enough for a bug parade. Will have to order the edge trim.

Seth you might use some 1/2" pipe foam. That's what I have and no door problems and just enough protection.
Frank

Do you step up into your camper? I have an 8 inch step into the camper and I don't remember the last time I dented my melon. I have a friend that uses his tailgate as a porch; he is constantly whacking his head going in.

Just watch, next time I go into the camper I'll knock myself out. :oops:

jim

JaSAn said:
Do you step up into your camper? I have an 8 inch step into the camper and I don't remember the last time I dented my melon. I have a friend that uses his tailgate as a porch; he is constantly whacking his head going in.

Just watch, next time I go into the camper I'll knock myself out. :oops:

jim
Step from a 2 step ,stool,or from the bumper "dip" where the plate is.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom