Door Lock Options

FreezingMan

Advanced Member
I’m getting ready to install my 3rd dead bolt lock over 6 years of steady use. Dust and grit in both summer and winter conditions take a toll on the lock internals. Does anybody have a good solution for a difficult environment? I’m wondering if some of the keyless locks are good options. The lock needs to work in subzero conditions.

My camper is on the truck from May through November. I use it about 100 days/year. I have a Schlage household lock/latch on the door.

- For dusty conditions I make a foil tape 'coin' (about the size of a quarter) for covering the key entry mechanism. This seems to help.

- When back from a trip I flush the tumblers out with alcohol, blow out with compressed air, and lube with Tri-Flow spray lube, and gently blow it out again. I usually do this a couple times a summer. Door latch/lock has lasted 5 years.
I haven't had any problem opening the lock down to 0ºF with Tri-Flow, but I do carry a squirt bottle of alcohol just in case.

Interesting. We have had our Ocelot on full time for over 100K miles and seven years - lot's of dusty roads in our rural community (plus lot's of dusty roads on trips) and never a problem. I do use some WD40 and winter anti-freeze, but that has been it.

Taku said:
Interesting. We have had our Ocelot on full time for over 100K miles and seven years - lot's of dusty roads in our rural community (plus lot's of dusty roads on trips) and never a problem. I do use some WD40 and winter anti-freeze, but that has been it.
Yea here too.

I have never taken the Granby off in 5 years and I live in some rough conditions. No asphalt for miles and lots of use in the camper.
I spray silicone grease in through the side of the door lock mechanisms once every few months and have never had an issue. I keep the can in my driver side door panel cubby so it's always handy.

I will say after spraying it I'm always amazed at how much better it works so I know it's doing some good.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like showing the lock a little more attention should help though I'll be curious if some has tried the keyless lock.

Wouldn't a key less lock still have a deadbolt to get dust in?

I think keeping the lock workings clean helps.Using WD40 will flush out
dirt and grime.

Our Bobcat lock hasn't had any issues in 11 years.

Frank

I was doing all the above with ok results, and living in a colder winter climate, I was also routinely experiencing the deadbolt mechanism freezing up requiring a bit of thawing with warm breath or lock deicer.

This fall, I took both lock mechanisms out to thoroughly clean as the deadbolt was getting difficult to turn secondary to dirt. I noticed that there was a poor seal between the door and the locks with an amazing amount of grime inside the door itself. I had also noticed a drip of dirty water down the inside of the door, around the lock. This was after returning from a trip where we got hit by an early storm system and a few hundred miles of driving over some wet sloppy roads.

my solution was to fabricate some gaskets out of a thin closed cell foam. For the deadbolt, I placed a solid sheet over both sides of the door and made an opening in it just wide enough for the key mechanism to pass through. My goal was to seal off the inside of the door as completely as possible. Now, the only real penetration into the lock and door is the keyhole itself and any slop in the construction of the deadbolt. The door latch mechanism gaskets looked more like typical peripheral gaskets.

I also thoroughly degreased and cleaned the mechanisms with solvent, then lubricated with Boeshield whic is a waxy dry lubricant for metal surfaces.

My observation was that the leaky mechanisms and door where allowing a lot of crud to enter in and that the wet lubes everyone is using where attracting a lot of dirt. I also wanted something that would repel moisture better. Seems to be working really well so far. The telltale drip of dirt down the inside of the door is gone, lock is buttery smooth, and have not had a freezing episode to date.

Years ago a locksmith told me that yes the wet lubes (WD40 ect.)
attract and hold dirt and grit. And that graphite is one of the best.

Makes sense for locks though. The freezing seems to be more of a problem.

Thanks for some good info.

Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Wouldn't a key less lock still have a deadbolt to get dust in?

I think keeping the lock workings clean helps.Using WD40 will flush out
dirt and grime.

Our Bobcat lock hasn't had any issues in 11 years.

Frank
I was thinking of putting tape across the key slot. Only rarely using the key.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Years ago a locksmith told me that yes the wet lubes (WD40 ect.)
attract and hold dirt and grit. And that graphite is one of the best.

Makes sense for locks though. The freezing seems to be more of a problem.

Thanks for some good info.

Frank
I was told the same years ago. Graphite and aerosol brake cleaner is all that I've ever used on lock tumblers. No real experience in the kinds of temperatures the OP is dealing with, so not sure how or if I would alter what I do in those conditions.

The door in our current camper has the typical RV door latch/lock combo in it when we got it and I've never thot very much of that dead-bolt. I added a Schlage dead-bolt that I had keyed alike to our house. At least now the bolt itself is steel instead of pot metal.

ntsqd said:
I was told the same years ago. Graphite and aerosol brake cleaner is all that I've ever used on lock tumblers. No real experience in the kinds of temperatures the OP is dealing with, so not sure how or if I would alter what I do in those conditions.

The door in our current camper has the typical RV door latch/lock combo in it when we got it and I've never thot very much of that dead-bolt. I added a Schlage dead-bolt that I had keyed alike to our house. At least now the bolt itself is steel instead of pot metal.
Thom, any issues adding that deadbolt? When I asked ATC about adding one, they advised against it... not enough metal in these doors to make them secure (or to actually support the lock?) How thick is the door? Was there a specific Schlage lock that you used?

Other than knowing that I only had one shot at cutting the hole, no issues but it is a fairly low mileage mod at this point. This is an older Hallmark door, but I'd guess that it is about the same thickness as our old Phoenix's door, and likely everyone else's too. I doubt that it is as secure as it would be in a normal exterior door. Our door frame actually already had the receiving cut in it, just no dead-bolt in the door. I used a std dead-bolt, nothing trick or special about it.

Update to my post of a year ago. It has been about 16 months since I modified the lock as above, and lubed with Bo-shield. That is two tahoe winters, and a lot of summer driving. On the truck continuously, covered in grime, etc. The lock is still buttery smooth with no freezing occurring. I believe it is due to the decreased ingress of road grime secondary to the gaskets I installed and the waxy, water proof, non dust attracting Bo shield. Later this spring I will disassemble and take a look at how things are holding up with regards to grime build up.

As a comparison, the locks on my sons less than one year old truck cap are freezing up from grime and water, requiring purging with solvent and application of graphite to restore operation. Bummer if it happens again when he is out camping.

My deadbolt freezes up all the time in winter use. I'm used to it as I snow camp in the camper. I always carry a small torch. hit the lock metal keyhole with the torch for about 2 - 4 seconds and thaws it out for key use. Usually have to do this on all my locks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom