Door Lock

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!
I have always just used the deadbolt to lock the camper. I remember reading something about people having issues with locking the other door lock and not being able to get out of the camper, probably when I was considering a purchase back in 2013. I thought it might be good to lock the black handle lock when we are in a hotel or away from the camper. I grabbed my FWC keys and discovered that none of the FWC keys would go in either of the 2 locks on the black handle. Does anyone know what each of these 2 locks is for (one is for the lock, but not sure about the other)? Also, are there supposed to be keys for these locks that I should have received? I have an e-mail into Stan. It is strange that the door handle has 2 locks but no keys. jd

I got a key with a purple plastic cover on the top part that works both locks on my black handle (I don't use those locks either but I just went and checked). I also got a deadbolt key, a water supply key and one with black plastic on it that I have no clue what it's for.

Mine is a late 2014 Eagle.

longhorn1 said:
--snip-- I thought it might be good to lock the black handle lock when we are in a hotel or away from the camper. I grabbed my FWC keys and discovered that none of the FWC keys would go in either of the 2 locks on the black handle. Does anyone know what each of these 2 locks is for (one is for the lock, but not sure about the other)? --snip--
The black plastic covered key is for the black locks. The top one is the second deadbolt and the one in the handle is to disable the handle.
In another thread, someone indicated that the black deadbolt key is "unique" to the camper, but the black handle lock is one of a small number so that the salesman need carry only a few keys to be able to open a camper on the lot to show to a possible sales client.

As to neither fitting the handle, try jiggling the key while pushing firmly into the lock. You may need to squirt some graphite lube into the lock to make it insert to the bottom.

YMMV but that is how it works on my 2014 Hawk. I have found that I need to lube the black locks every few months to keep them working well.

Paul

Stalking Light said:
I got a key with a purple plastic cover on the top part that works both locks on my black handle (I don't use those locks either but I just went and checked). I also got a deadbolt key, a water supply key and one with black plastic on it that I have no clue what it's for.

Mine is a late 2014 Eagle.
PaulT said:
The black plastic covered key is for the black locks. The top one is the second deadbolt and the one in the handle is to disable the handle.
In another thread, someone indicated that the black deadbolt key is "unique" to the camper, but the black handle lock is one of a small number so that the salesman need carry only a few keys to be able to open a camper on the lot to show to a possible sales client.

As to neither fitting the handle, try jiggling the key while pushing firmly into the lock. You may need to squirt some graphite lube into the lock to make it insert to the bottom.

YMMV but that is how it works on my 2014 Hawk. I have found that I need to lube the black locks every few months to keep them working well.

Paul
I have one key that I don't know what it is for. It has a black plastic top that has the letters FIC. It wouldn't fit either of the black door handle locks. I will try the graphite when I get home. Since I've never used them, I have never put graphite in there, but I have on the deadbolt. Thanks, jd

It was me this year that got locked in my 10 year old Grandby FWC along with my faithful dog "Bob" when a screw loosened up and caused the mechanism to shift and lock us in :eek: ! The small key with the plastic handle went to that lock and yes the larger key (a phillips) went to the dead bolt. I do not use the small key today to lock the door (don't want to get locked in again), I only use the deadbolt . If you get these keys remade at a lock smith-MAKE sure you check them in all the respective locks (not just door locks either) to make sure that they all work because sometimes they will not work in them!

Smoke

I'd like to try to explore this lock-and-keys situation a bit to get it straight in my mind, if nothing else. Please correct me if I stray.

When longhorn1 says he locks the rear door using the deadbolt, context suggests he's talking about the separate deadbolt, not the deadbolt integrated into the 'black lock'. (I mention this because my Hawk doesn't have a separate deadbolt so I thought he was using the deadbolt on the black lock). The 'black lock' generally supplied by FWC is (I believe) one manufactured by Fastec Industrial Corporation (thus the 'FIC' we read about on the top of some keys). Those lock assemblies were (and are) also available in a chrome finish and with or without the integrated deadlock. The lock assemblies on older FWC units may not have an integrated deadbolt (mine didn't).

Lock assemblies manufactured by Fastec come with keys with black tops and a key-code stamped into the key. The key-code ranges are CF301-CF350, EF301-EF350, HF301-HF350, and CW401-CW434. The key-code is also on a sticker under the backplate of the lock. I don't know what years to associate with the key codes other than to observe that my 2001 Hawk had an assembly with a CF series key code and I know from the Fastec web site that the CW series started in mid-2014.

The black keytops are rectangular for the CF, EF, and HF series and some of them (I don't know which) have FIC embossed on them. The key tops are semi-circular for the CW series and do not have the FIC on them.

Generally, a lock assembly which has two cylinders (latch and integrated deadbolt), will have the same keycode in both cylinders (and therefore one key operates either).

If you have a blue or perhaps a red topped key, it may be cylinder-change key. Some members may have them as leftovers from a lock-cylinder recall started a few years ago for certain HF-series key codes (see Recall info here). The other possibility is a blank with a blue or red (or other color) top was used to locally create a replacement or spare key.

I recently replaced my 2001-era lock assembly with CF-series cylinders with a new one using CW-series cylinders. I notice the new assembly has dots to indicate cylinder position. The dots are particularly helpful on the integrated deadbolt because it operates a bit oddly. To lock the integrated deadbolt, you turn the key counter-clockwise a half-turn, but then have to turn back a quarter turn to extract the key. The key will not come out of the cylinder at the half-turn position and it doesn't seem logical that the key won't come out. With the dots, I know I need to have the dot to the side for the key to come out after locking.

The separate deadbolt is not a Fastec product. Smoke says his is a 'philips' which I assume means it's a Philips Mobile Home Deadbolt lock like this one (or similar, perhaps with different finish). Or maybe some have something like this Kwikset version (or some other). I've noticed some members have had their separate deadbolts re-keyed to match their house keys.

As Paul T mentions, I also notice that my Fastec cylinders need lubrication to operate well. Even my new ones didn't seem to operate well until I lubed them. And even after lubing the key insertion is sometimes not quite as smooth as you would expect.

-Old Crow

I have two purple topped keys that came with my 2014 Eagle that unlock the 'black lock'. Those are the only keys that came with my camper that had plastic tops, I also got a small one for my water supply and a larger one for the separate deadbolt. FWIW

Charlie-

The purple-topped ones are a mystery. Do they have a key code stamped into them? If so, what series? Do they have an 'FIC' on them or perhaps 'Global' or 'Global Link' or a 'G' ?

(I'm wondering if FWC has also used Global Link locks and I'm just not aware of it. Or perhaps those keys are Global Link blanks cut to FIC codes like the ones I see on Ebay for some obscure reason.)

Stalking Light said:
Global Link with a 'G nnn' key code.
Thanks, Charlie. So apparently yours is a Global Link lock rather than a Fastec. Looks like the Global Link range of keys is G301-350.

Also -

In searching for info on the Global Link locks I see its TTL-43610-2006 model is functionally equivalent to similar locks made by manufacturers Fastec, Bauer, and Trimark. That led me to search WTW for the latter two. I see from this thread that some folks have Bauer locks. Those have keycodes RV301-360 and an angled-oval key head. The key-code stamped in the key does not appear to have the RV prefix (at least in the photos I saw of them) while the Global Link and Fastec keys do have their prefixes stamped in. And then of course replacement keys may not have codes stamped in them.

The only reference to Trimark locks is one by Marty in this thread. Key codes for those are probably somewhere on this web page.

Back
Top Bottom