Doors on side of camper to access truck wheel well area

kmcintyre

As I prepare to move my Eagle from a Dakota to a RAM 1500, the bed is wider on the RAM and I will have space below and on either side of the Eagle.

As I build out the frame to raise the Eagle up, I'm trying to figure out how to put a door on either side of the camper to keep items in there.

I see a few options.

Add a hinge attached to the camper for the door; door would swing in towards the camper
Add a hinge to the bottom of the supporting frame and have the door swing down. I have about 4-6" on either side and that will give me access into the wheel well for storage of chairs, etc.

If you think of a sideways 'E' that is what my frame will look like (rotate the 'E' 90 degrees to the right). That way I can add a door to the bottom to get access under the camper and not have bracing block it. The 'E' will have bracing 1/2 - 2/3 of the way back so only a portion of the 'E' will not be braced.
Decided to use the end of the truck bed as a brace and will run a 2x4 across the back. I have one against the front too. I'll run 2x4's length wise and I'll put plywood on the top.

On either end of the 'E' I will put tabs outward to the bed so there will be support on the side (from the camper) and on the bottom. I still need to add a door to the side or bottom. This is where I could put some type of hinge.

Any other ideas, comments, suggestions, etc.?

Thanks!

Kevin

Try RV LIFE Pro Free for 7 Days

• New Ad-Free experience on this RV LIFE Community.
  • Plan the best RV Safe travel with RV LIFE Trip Wizard.
  • Navigate with our RV Safe GPS mobile app.
  • and much more...
Try RV Life Pro Today
Back
Top Bottom