Drawer slide for the Engel

100acrehuphalump

In a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia
When I ordered my Hawk I had them leave off the cabinet door to the left of the furnace so I could install my Engel fridge there. So one day, I was showing my buddy things I was planning on doing on the inside of the Hawk and one was getting a slide for my Engel to fit into that cabinet space by the door. So he said I'll build you one. We have a full wood shop here on the land, my dad's hobby is fine woodworking and cabinetry so I have all the materials and tools we needed. I used Birch plywood for the base and beautiful Mohogany for the sides. It will have a locking mechanism to keep it from sliding open on rough roads and it'll be mounted on HD drawer slides.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 198
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 208
I've been posting my build over at American Adventurist so here is a continuation of that build. I also found that by uploading images to AAV then re saving them to my computer resizes them so I can upload them here on WTW.

Drawing towards the end of the Drawer install.

My buddy Dave came back over this week to help me finish with the final steps and installation of the Mohogany Engel Slide in the Hawk. We built out the inside of the cabinet with a nice hard maple for the slides to mount on. After having attached the drawer slides to the drawer, we made a template/guide to cut holes for the feet of the fridge to drop down into the bottom of the drawer. We had to cut the first two holes while the template was out of the drawer then put it in. The guide also help to keep the bottom of the drawers edges from fraying. When we installed the drawer we used 1/4" slats of luan to raise it enough to give the bottom a little clearance. In the back of the drawer we had to cut out a 6" space to make room for the 12V and 110 electrical hookups. It is now installed and works great. The last thing I need to do is add a nice little Barrel Latch to keep the whole thing from sliding out while driving.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 150
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 147
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 159
RC Pilot Jim said:
Noticed your using both the 12 volt and 110 volt cables. I thought the Iota system converted 110 to 12 volt?
It does, I just wanted to get a good fit for both options for redundancy, and or to run a shore line separate from the Hawks electrical system if needed. Or if the 12v system goes down for whatever reason. I was a Boy Scout. Be Prepared.

It looks excellent. I like the idea that you can bring it into the house with you and stock it as needed prior to a trip.

What prevents it from sliding out while travelling? I couldn't tell by the pics.

Today I installed the little barrel latch to keep the fridge from sliding out.. It seems to work great and the drawer holds the Engel nicely even in the extended position. I hung some cheap stick on hooks on either side of the mirror to hang stuff. I realized that my large cutting board fits nicely on top and under the lid of the stove and lastly found a place for my backpack fishing pole. If I have time I may build a little spice rack to mount above the Engel...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 157
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 157
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 152
I said it on aav, but I figured I would say it here too.. good stuff, and nice work Dan!

Scott

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Wander The West mobile app

Back
Top Bottom