dreaming about racks

longshanks

Hi folks

Last spring I managed to acquire a 2003 Grandby shell and we are just loving it so far. I'd like to add a simple rack system to the roof though, so I can carry a light boat when the camper is in the 'down' position. Also, I'd like to be able to attach a tarp off the rear of the camper, because I don't have a fancy awning there.

I have looked at the factory FWC mounts, but I'd like to have something that sits a bit higher up from the roof, and if I'm going to tie a tarp off the rear of the camper, I'd like to tie it to the rack, which means I'd like to mount the rack very close to the rear end of the camper. I designed a similar rack for the canopy of my old pickup, and it worked like a charm.

I attached a simple drawing of what I'm considering. These racks would screw into the side edges of camper top, using the existing screw holes. I am thinking of using one screw size larger than factory, and perhaps a bit longer, to accommodate the thickness of the aluminum. Although the rack would be fastened to the camper by three screws at each corner, the weight of the boat would be supported mainly by the angle plate that sits on top of the camper, over a distance of 10" or so, as shown in the drawing I've attached. I'd drill into the side tabs of the rack, and use a tie-down strap to snug the boat down onto the racks. This way, there is no tension on the roof, only on the rack itself. I am planning to weld this out of aluminum.

I wanted to check here and see if anybody has any input on this, or if somebody else has tried it before.

cheers Rack.jpg

Hi folks

Last spring I managed to acquire a 2003 Grandby shell and we are just loving it so far. I'd like to add a simple rack system to the roof though, so I can carry a light boat when the camper is in the 'down' position. Also, I'd like to be able to attach a tarp off the rear of the camper, because I don't have a fancy awning there.

I have looked at the factory FWC mounts, but I'd like to have something that sits a bit higher up from the roof, and if I'm going to tie a tarp off the rear of the camper, I'd like to tie it to the rack, which means I'd like to mount the rack very close to the rear end of the camper. I designed a similar rack for the canopy of my old pickup, and it worked like a charm.

I attached a simple drawing of what I'm considering. These racks would screw into the side edges of camper top, using the existing screw holes. I am thinking of using one screw size larger than factory, and perhaps a bit longer, to accommodate the thickness of the aluminum. Although the rack would be fastened to the camper by three screws at each corner, the weight of the boat would be supported mainly by the angle plate that sits on top of the camper, over a distance of 10" or so, as shown in the drawing I've attached. I'd drill into the side tabs of the rack, and use a tie-down strap to snug the boat down onto the racks. This way, there is no tension on the roof, only on the rack itself. I am planning to weld this out of aluminum.

I wanted to check here and see if anybody has any input on this, or if somebody else has tried it before.

cheersView attachment 16189

Some of my ideas on a canoe rack and also a rear awning are on my posts and topics.They might give you some ideas.I think my rear awning is one of the easiest ones to open and close.PM me if you have questions.
Frank

We did what you are thinking of. Yakima side mounts and towers work real well. We carry 4 kayaks and bikes on top. There is plenty of metal to drill into for the side mounts.

Back
Top Bottom