Drill adaptor and airbags

Quint

Advanced Member
Drill adaptor

I'm trying to understand why my cordless drill coupled with the Rieco Mechanical jack drill adaptor isn't strong enough to raise the camper off the truck bed. The drill is a new 14v Black & Decker. When the drill encouters the resistance of the ground it doesn't have enough power to keep turning the jack gear and the motor "stutter & skips" instead of turning. I know it isn't a defective drill as I exchanged a Ryobi that did the same thing although it was only a 12v. Do I need to go to an 18v drill or am I missing something else? I hand tighten the chuck to secure the drill adaptor but this isn't what is causing the resistance. Any thoughts?

You said your drill motor "stutters and skips". Could it be that you have it set on one of the torque limiting screw settings instead of the drill setting? On the drill setting the motor should stall before it skips.

I have an 18v Black & Decker and once it has been used for a few minutes, it no longer has the juice for enough torque to lift. I am looking into a Dewalt 18v for an "upgrade". Comes with 2 batteries and more torque. I would guess a corded drill, even a cheapy, would have the necessary torque.

I use a Dewalt 18v and it has all the power you will need. Also one charged battery will last at least 5 up and down cycles. I've yet need the second battery I carry for a back up.

My Milwauakee 18v works ok but since I remove the jacks when the campers mounted I just use an old snears corded drill motor and save my $80 drill battery. The hot set up is the Milwaukee right angle 18v. I've used one on a boat winch to hoist a 180lb guy up the mast of my old boat and it never even hiccupped. They are pricey but great power and because of the angle the torque wont jerk it out of your had when you forget to stop in time.

Stalls

You're right the drill stalls. I guess I need an 18v.drill?

Some folks on travel trailer groups are using cordless impact wrenches (El Cheapo's from Harbor Freight, etc) to run their tongue jacks.

You could also get a corded drill and an inverter to run it off the truck's 12VDC system. You might have to beef up the wiring to the 12VDC outlet or get the outlet connected to a couple of battery clamps. Inverter is useful for running other stuf also.

drill

Looks like everyone else covered this one for you. It usually takes at least an 18 volt to be able to pick up the camper. I try to tell customers that before they take a drill adaptor. If I didn't tell you that I apologize.

Most customers seem to just run the jacks to the ground then use the hand crank to pick up the camper.

I think it's all about drill power and quality. My 18volt Bosch will crank the camper up and down with no trouble. If your drill has a torque setting be sure it's on low.

I'm using a Ryobi 18v and it is working ok. I don't get as many up and downs as a Dewalt, but it's about 1/3 the cost.

Ive tried using the cordless impact, makes ALOT of noise compared to the cordless drill. My 18volt dewalt works on my cousins northstar.

Back
Top Bottom