driving from san diego to canada

klipcamper

My wife, Myself and the dog have 3 weeks off and were planning to drive towards canada. We own a FWC and love camping! We plan to get to canada but our plans arent set in stone. We leave soon and thought i would post on the forum to see if anyone has some good recommendations of places to see or stop at along our way! We plan to drive out to sedona, arizona, then up to the grand canyon. It looks like all of the north rim is closed until may. I was wondering if theres any camping off the beat and path? trying to stay away from the big campgrounds and the touristy stuff. From there we planned to go into Utah and stay at canyonlands. Then I don't know if were going to drive up through utah or into colorado. Any suggestions while were driving up to the grand tetons and yellowstone? Most of Yellowstone is closed so until may 10th so were going in on the east side and heading to slought creek. From there were heading up to glacier national park and then to banff, canada. hopefully then drive to vancouver and see vancouver island. I'm not quiet sure if were going to have enough time for vancouver island so might start heading home through washington state from banff. Going to stop there to see my grand parents 1 hour out of spokane on the roosevelt river. Anyways from washington plan on heading through oregon and california. We plan on staying at places 1 to 2 days depending on were we are and what we like. Just want to get on the open road and see some beautiful country.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Kyle

Kyle,your trip sounds nice.Don't think you will find Yellowstone or Glacier campgrounds open.At least the ones you want to stay.Slough opens in June.The road on the west side of Glacier is still closed.Don't know when it opens.There are some nice lakes there to camp at.Bowman is nice stayed there some years back,but that road out of Polebridge is still closed.You might have a problem finding some nice places to camp due to winter conditions.
The two passes into the NE of Yellowstone ,Bear Tooth which more than likely is closed into May and Chief Joeseph from Cody which may be open by the time you come through.There is a link to both on the Yellowstone page.
The only campground open in Yellowstone now is Mammoth,Madison is next to open but if you can't come in through Cooke City due to the pass being closed that is out of the way big time.
Have you thought of driving up the Cal,Org,Wash. coast to go to Canada first?The weather would be nicer and there are a lot of campgrounds along the north coast and Org,Wash.
If you get to Vancouver Island the Goldstream Park outside Victoria is nice.Up island at Campbell River has a nice campground.
Good luck with your plans.If you could wait until end of April/first of May you might have better luck.
Frank

It looks like all of the north rim is closed until may. I was wondering if theres any camping off the beat and path? trying to stay away from the big campgrounds and the touristy stuff.

Kyle

Kyle, if you are looking for interesting places on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon that are open, drive into Tuweep outside the park on BLM land. It is a bit off the beaten path and there are great views of the Colorado River from the rim!
gallery_172_47_219377.jpg

As you noticed and as Frank says, most of the the other places you want to visit will still be snowed in!

Thanks Frank and Stew for your response and advise!

I wish the we had some time off a little later but were committed to these 3 weeks, so it sounds like the wife and I are going to do a reverse loop like Frank suggested! I think doing the coast first is a much better idea since it looks like most campgrounds in the higher elevation open in may. So Northern California, Oregon, Washington into Vancouver then back to NE washington and over to montana and down to AZ is the route. Were not going to do banff or glacier due to weather but still hope to see part of yellowstone. Had a friend recommend a bunch of great places to see in Utah so plan to spend some time there. Thanks for your recommendations, ill send an update

Kyle

Thanks Frank and Stew for your response and advise!

I wish the we had some time off a little later but were committed to these 3 weeks, so it sounds like the wife and I are going to do a reverse loop like Frank suggested! I think doing the coast first is a much better idea since it looks like most campgrounds in the higher elevation open in may. So Northern California, Oregon, Washington into Vancouver then back to NE washington and over to montana and down to AZ is the route. Were not going to do banff or glacier due to weather but still hope to see part of yellowstone. Had a friend recommend a bunch of great places to see in Utah so plan to spend some time there. Thanks for your recommendations, ill send an update

Kyle

Kyle,check campgrounds openings for Yellowstone.You might be able to come in from Gardiner than down the west side through Madison Junction.I think that part of the road will be open early May.Also you could drop down at 3 forks on US287 to West Yellowstone than into the park.Think I read that will be open early May.Envy you on the Yellowstone part that early.Lots on young animals around.
There are a lot of great campgrounds along the north coast.Olympic has some at Forks on US 101.Just after Forks you turn west into the park the camp is a mile or so from the beach.There is a nice beach camp in Redwood NP.Don't know if it is open yet.If it is that is a favorite with WTW campers.As you head east from NE Washington you might try Lolo pass area on US 12 in Idaho.
Have fun with your plans.
Hope this has helped.
Frank

What a great trip either way. Plenty of great camp sites.
What about going up the 395 along the Eastern Sierras. So many places there, not that there aren't along the coast. Check out most of ski3pins trip reports about stuff along the 395.

I will second the Tuweep/Toroweap suggestion. I finally made it there last August. It was amazing. Easy drive. 61 miles of smooth wide dirt road. It gets a little rocky down close to the rim and the campground. Nothing your rig cant handle.

This is from Rocky Mountain Campers(one of my favorite FWC pics):
532798_462578433792478_2106810755_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom