Driving to Anchorage, AK

jha6av8r

Hi All,

Back story: My father-in-law passed away late last year. He was a marine geologist and and expert in seasonal ice flow. He spent much of his working life above the arctic circle and Antarctica. Much of his research was in the Beaufort Sea in his boat North of Barrow and Prudhoe Bay. Many times he would shelter for the night at Cross Island.

This takes us to the trip we're planning. He requested that his ashes be scatter at Cross Island.

My wife and I thought it might be a good opportunity to make it more of an adventure than it already is and take the camper. One thought was to drive to Washington State and take the ferry to Alaska. Another thought is to drive Al-Can Hwy to Anchorage.

Has anyone done this? Am I crazy for thinking about it. The trip would be mid- to late July into August.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
John

Hey, i have done both. Driven Al-Can and taken ferry, in fact i may be doing a road trip up to the arctic circle this year as well if gas prices stay low enough. Am thinking of driving up and taking the ferry back down.
Great trip either way.
Good luck and enjoy.
w

Consider the Cassiar!

I have not taken the ferry but I've been to Alaska twice and have driven both routes. The Cassiar Highway is by far my favourite. It's the most scenic and a side trip into Telegraph Creek along the Grand Canyon of the Stikine and the side trip into Hyder to see the Grizzly bears and Salmon Glacier are both must do's.

MANXMAN said:
Consider the Cassiar!

I have not taken the ferry but I've been to Alaska twice and have driven both routes. The Cassiar Highway is by far my favourite. It's the most scenic and a side trip into Telegraph Creek along the Grand Canyon of the Stikine and the side trip into Hyder to see the Grizzly bears and Salmon Glacier are both must do's.
Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

Do it, do it, do it! We've driven to Anchorage and beyond twice (Prudhoe Bay once and Inuvik once) and I can guarantee it will be a trip that is one you will never forget, and it will further memorialize your father-in-law in your minds. Rather than drive one way and ferry the other, consider picking up the ferry on the way north at Prince Rupert, BC or getting on the ferry in the north on the return trip and getting off at Prince Rupert, then driving the remained of the way. That way you can see all the primary inside passage sights, yet save quite a bit of money, as the ferry from PR to Seattle is fairly expensive. Also, the drive from PR to Kitwanga (where the Cassier and Yellowhead Highways meet) is gorgeous. X2 on Manxman's comments regarding the Cassier and the Stewart/ Hyder side trip.

Manx,

Ditto on the Cassiar, it's way more scenic than the Alcan.

AV8R,

If you want to extend your trip check out the Dempster also.

I agree wiht the others. Do the Drive.

We live in Watson lake just 13 miles form the junction of the Cassiar and alaska Highway.

From the Junction to Anchorage is 1,000 miles give or take. The Cassiar is very scenic and yes Telegraph Creek is worth the drive.

We have driven over to AK. many times. If you need a beer in Watson lake give me a shout..

Robbie

JHa6av8r said:
Hi All,

Back story: My father-in-law passed away late last year. He was a marine geologist and and expert in seasonal ice flow. He spent much of his working life above the arctic circle and Antarctica. Much of his research was in the Beaufort Sea in his boat North of Barrow and Prudhoe Bay. Many times he would shelter for the night at Cross Island.

This takes us to the trip we're planning. He requested that his ashes be scatter at Cross Island.

My wife and I thought it might be a good opportunity to make it more of an adventure than it already is and take the camper. One thought was to drive to Washington State and take the ferry to Alaska. Another thought is to drive Al-Can Hwy to Anchorage.

Has anyone done this? Am I crazy for thinking about it. The trip would be mid- to late July into August.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
John
John. Check out my travel blog on the trip to Denali.We took the ferry from Bellingham to Haynes,than drove for a couple weeks including Denali and the Dempster back to Watson Lake. Tried to take the Cassiar but it was closed south of Deese Lake due to several landslides from heavy rain in September.
The route north and south from Prince Rupert is great and there is the Alaskan Ferry connection there.
You won't be disappointed with a trip north.
We have made 4 trips and one of the best was the late summer early fall time.The colors are out in full force.
Frank

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Based on what I'm hearing from my wife, her preference is leaning toward some combination of driving and ferry with air travel from either Anchorage or Fairbanks to Deadhorse. So the research begins.

JHa6av8r said:
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Based on what I'm hearing from my wife, her preference is leaning toward some combination of driving and ferry with air travel from either Anchorage or Fairbanks to Deadhorse. So the research begins.
John if you decide to ferry you might want to get your reservations in as soon as possible.
Some of the routes fill quickly.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
John if you decide to ferry you might want to get your reservations in as soon as possible.
Some of the routes fill quickly.
Frank
Thanks Frank. I noticed reference to that going through the website.

John,

Have to agree with all the comments that everyone has made. There is so much to see by land and sea.
Not sure what time frame that you have in mind for your venture.
My trip was 12 weeks and 16K miles, pounding a lot of roads.

Traveling from Wisconsin made getting there different than you may go.
Might suggest looking at Glacier NP route, spent a week around the area. Flathead NF (north & south) and Glacier NP (east & west). If you head up that way remember to stop at Polebridge (Polebridge Mercantile) and take “Going To The Sun Road.” There are many NP CG's on the east and west side of the park (not recommended for pushers or pull behinds). Ended up doing the border crossing on the east side of Glacier NP on Chief Mountain Hwy.

My route, in short, was to Pincher Creek, AB to Coleman, AB then north on Range Road 43A (Hwy40) to Smith Dorrier Trail to Canmore, AB. The majority of road was dirt in that area but well worth it. Dirt roads do make travel slower. Then picked up the Trans-Canada Hwy (#1) to Lake Louise, to Hwy93 for awhile then dropped off and drove the old 93A till it met 93 again to Jasper. This takes you thru Banff and Jasper National Parks. (this is a beautiful part of the country well worth seeing.)

Then onward to Prince George where you would end up if you took a direct route from CA to the Cassier Hwy.

I went on to Terrace and headed north on the Kalum Lake Dr./Nisga'a Hwy back to Cassier.
You may consider going to Stewart, BC / Hyder, AK just to say you have been there. Did it and had no regrets, even camped, remotely, north of Hyder. As everyone has mentioned do the Telegraph Creek Rd. There are (was) a couple of CG's west of Telegraph Creek.

When you get to the Al-Can Hwy head east to Watson Lake and give Robbie a shout. Sure wish our paths had crossed. Maybe next time.

Enjoy the trip and see as much as you can see. Give some thought to Hatcher Pass and the Denali Hwy.

Tom

I love this site:)
This is exactly what I want to do when I retire. To have so many people with the experience to share and info to help plan will make the trip so much better for any who ask. You guys are great! I'll be asking in a couple years:) Good luck JHa6!

John,

Condolences for your loss. I have no advice to add. It sounds like a great adventure and a great way to pay your respect to your FIL.

Safe travels.

Jim

Either way you go (Alcan or Cassiar is awesome. I have done the Cassiar once and-a-half (from Junctio 37 to about 1/2 way south and home again). If going that way, consider fishing one of the classy rivers. I spent a day on the Stikine first time - bamboo fly rod & steelhead trout. Visited 2 rodmakers around Hazelton, including Bob Clay. Great guy, great rods.

Done the Alaska Highway / Alcan twice - from Dawson Creek to Delta Junction. Done Whitehorse to Alaska a few times. I like driving, my dog does not enjoy the ferry. But the ferry covers amazing terrain.

The drive from Whitehorse to Anchorage is stellar. I like to do the "circle" head there on one road, back on the other. E.g. Tok to fairbanks and then west & south through Denali. Spectacular. Through Anchorage to Kenai and onwards. Spectacularx2. Return trip through palmer to Glenallen (side trip to Valdez) and back to Tok. Astounding road and scenery. Love the folks at Slide Mountain Resort between Eureka & Glenallen. Back to the Alaska Highway to Tok and then side turn to Chicken, Eagle & Dawson City and beck to the Alaska Highway via Whitehorse. If you hit Whitehorse, let me know and I will have a cool local beer ready...

Greg

I plan getting over there twice over the summer.

I've driven 3 times, never tried the ferry for a couple reasons. One was cost, another, the dog thing. I think you are only allowed access to your vehicle twice daily for short periods. Last reason, driving was SO awesome, that after doing it the first time, I had no desire to take the ferry.

I went through Mt, and drove througfh Banff and Jasper parks, which are some of the most stunning country I've ever seen. after Jasper, then Prince, and on to Dawson Creek. I wanted to do the Cassiar, but didnt. If I go again, its definitly on the list, as are some of the side trips mentioned, and I'd do the Top of the World Hwy to Eagle.

Check with Customs Canada website for regs. Travelling through Canada isnt as difficult as some try to make it, even taking guns (long guns). Just keep in mind, if you have pepper spray or guns, they are for protection from WILD ANIMALS, NOT people. You are not allowed to protect yourself from people in Canada, or at least not allowed to plan to protect yourself from people there. Serious. Dont even joke about it to Canada customs people. Otherwise, all my border crossings were very simple, US customs was more of a pain in the behind than Canadas were. If taking expensive cameras or guns, stop on the US side and tell them you want to "register items taken abroad". They will write the info down and give you the paper, it shows you had the items before leaving the states, and you dont have to pay import duty on them when coming back.

If driving, get a current copy of the book/magazine "Mileposts". Its amazing, and will tell you more than you ever thought to even ask. Get it sooner rather than later (right now would be good). They make a new version every year, many bookstores have them, or can get them. They are worth the price just for the reading and pictures. They have info on EVERY town along the way, including emergency numbers etc, (and how about every single pullout on the road along the way and whats good to take pics of) and are true gold mine of info.

Back
Top Bottom